Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

12 levels for 2017 KWC

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Joel Clayton, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

What do you guys think about 12 levels? I think its good because it gives people more of a choice on tricks they want to do.

Apr 23, 2017
  2. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Have the put up an official announcement yet? I know this was their plan, interested to see how it pans out. More tricks to choose from is probably a good thing

Apr 23, 2017
  3. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

That's the same assumption I came to as well while watching the first 5 videos posted. At the beginning of each video it shows what level the tricks they are with a scale on the left side and a marker at the level of said trick video (i.e. trick level 5 will have the marker on the 5th level of the scale, level 4 will be on the 4th level of the scale, etc). When you pause and count the amount of levels on that scale there's a total of 12 POSSIBLE levels of tricks for this year.

Apr 23, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  4. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

That's exactly the same conclusion I came to

Apr 23, 2017
  5. Joel Clayton

means a level 12 would be worth 144 points right?

Apr 23, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  6. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

@Joel Clayton Might be a new system for round 1-2 i guess? i mean why would they add another 2 levels if it's possible to get 1000 points in the last few year right? well more tricks is good and all but i think level 1 & 2 tricks would supposed to be for round 1-2(hypothetical) :/

Apr 23, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  7. Joel Clayton

Yeah could be.

Apr 23, 2017
  8. htimSxelA

Yea, in the finals it would be.
    Afaik, in the prelim rounds you can only pick from levels 1-10 for your tricks. Finals you can pick from levels 4-12.

I'm sure GLOKEN will release the full info soon though

Apr 23, 2017
    sambarboo and Dan Reinstein like this.
  9. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

ok now who are having problems/trying hard to lace some of the tricks so far?

is it cool if there would be a tutorial for the tricks?(i know some of you will say it's unnecessary since the tricks were shown in the vid) i had this thought last year & today i was wondering if someone can make it :/ i mean there are few ways to do a trick (i.e. swing spike,candle,spike) there might be a little tech way to do it. if you get what im saying...

Apr 23, 2017
  10. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

I think the tricks are pretty self-explanatory, and the slo-mos are a bunch helpful.
    If the meaning is ambiguous, then try to exploit it!
    That's what i love about the KWC trick lists - there's always a loophole, somewhere.

Apr 23, 2017
  11. htimSxelA

Hmm really? I mean I think I would love a loophole-less trick list much better. I don't think its a good contest if someone just snakes in a much easier way to do a trick, when others invested time practicing the legit way.

Apr 23, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  12. azleonhart

Remember last year's level 6-7?
    That was a stilt, trade handlestall, flip spike.

Almost everyone else did regular pull up handlestall, but there was this one Japanese dude that did pull-up inverse stilts (still legit), and as it turns out, it was easier to trade to handlestall that way (for me, of course).
    Some tricks allowed you to do inverse flips, instead of regular flips (i'm much better at inverse kenflip downspike, as opposed to regular kenflip).
    Some don't specify how you should arrive at a trick (pull-up, or swing-in handlestall).

I think rules are meant to be bent, if not broken.
    Sure, if Gloken had the time (and foresight) to prevent this, then we would all be doing it one way.
    But that's what kendama is all about - limitless creativity, and thinking outside the box.

Apr 23, 2017
    sambarboo and Q Miller-Edwards like this.
  13. htimSxelA

True, thats a good clarification. I get what you're saying.

I had a different incident in mind... It was in 2015, the level 7-3 'Around Candle (kengrip)'. I remember D Rob came up with a sort of modified way to do the trick, that was kinda lame, but WAY easier. He asked if it was acceptable, and they said sure, and he was like 'wtf! It shouldn't be!'. I think he may have put that trick in his run, in an apparent protest against the loophole, because it just so obviously was a kind of wacky way to perform the trick.

Apr 24, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  14. azleonhart

Is there a way to describe how he did it?
    Now, i'm curious to find out how that can be made easier!

Also, it's amazing how the bar has risen throughout the years.
    Around Candle would probably be considered a level 5, or might not be considered at all, since the trick takes too long to accomplish.

Apr 24, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  15. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I agree, they word the tricks in a way that is pretty self-explanatory. Plus they slo-mo it. That's all the tutorial you need!

Not every trick needs an in depth tutorial. Experiment with different ways to do a trick and put the work in to figure it out for yourself. That's how a lot of the OG players did it back in the day.

Apr 24, 2017
  16. azleonhart

I'm thankful, that even the OG players had YouTube to refer to, when watching new tricks.
    Some of us come from a time where yoyo tutorials were on diagrams!
    All pictures, no video aid!
    You gotta really figure out how to land tricks by trial and error, and praying to god that it doesn't end up in a knot.

Apr 24, 2017
    Q Miller-Edwards likes this.
  17. Q Miller-Edwards

Q Miller-Edwards Honed Member

I'm new to kendama, and was fairly surprised to see KWC or well, GLOKEN releasing the levels as individual videos on YouTube. I mean why not have a full set video of all levels, and is a viewable trick list out yet?? Like the one the players would mark the tricks they planned to do in their runs on?

Apr 24, 2017
  18. Q Miller-Edwards

Q Miller-Edwards Honed Member

Tutorials wouldn't be needed, but some of the tricks aren't so intuitive. I mean there was one that had an underbird, and the dude swung into it, same in a few tricks people were swinging into things VS straight pulls, but the trick itself didn't clarify. Guess eiether is sufficient?

Apr 24, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  19. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Unless the trick specifies "inward" or "regular" turn, I think it is okay to do either. In the past, people have done "gunslinger spike" as a swing and a pull up.
    For example, trick 5-3 is "knee bounce, 1 turn stuntplane." Since it doesn't specify the direction of the flip, I feel like it would be okay to do either.
    However, trick 6-5 is "1 turn lighthouse, knee bounce inward 1 turn lighthouse, tradespike." This one does specify the direction of the flip so it has to be done this way.
    For the most part, I just try to do each trick as it is demonstrated in the video.

Apr 24, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  20. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

there is a reason why it has to be by individual levels(by means of video). first the fact that level signifies difficulty of the trick/s. second, it's way too lengthy to watch all of it as a whole. also, consider the time & effort in making each video(including the names of players,tricks,etc. graphics to it) is a whole lot of work & it's better sorted out. I bet some of us just like one specific level apart from the others.

on the viewable part, they won't release it yet until all of the tricks are in public/released. it builds up the hype though(i.e. the dude who laced level 5 couple of hours/ the day after the realese) so just keep your eyes peeled. another thing is there is an app of the kwc on IOS that is also developed by the guys at dendama. the tricks are from last year,but the function is there. you can shade the trick by consistency. dendama also did a web version of it where you can use it with your friends for battle. i guess this was also the blueprint for the dendama.

Apr 24, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.