Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

A few maybe (annoying) questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mercadus, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Mercadus

Mercadus n00b

Hey guys, So I've got my second ever kendama and so far I like it! It seems like its a bit more glossy rather than sticky so I've got to figure out how to do Lighthouses on such a glossy surface. But I noticed that the string is longer than what I used to have, I used to have 2-2,5 fingers now it's like 4. I was wondering how does a person shorten a string?
    And also does anyone have any tips on a base cup to a downspike? Thanks!

DSC_0145.JPG

Jul 13, 2017
  2. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Catch tama with hole facing up is key. Then proceed as usual:

Jul 13, 2017
  3. Mercadus

Mercadus n00b

Thanks for the videos, I'll check them out right now ! The thing I'm worried about is that on my previous kendama I seemed to have cut a little more of the string and it became way to small so that's why I was asking.

Jul 13, 2017
  4. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

The third video by sweets Kendamas shows you how to adjust a long string. Once it's too short and cut you will have to start over with a new long string and cut it down again.

Jul 15, 2017
    Mercadus likes this.
  5. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

1. Lighthouses on a glossy surface is all about balance, and moving your tama to keep it in the right position (learn how to adjust). Lunar on the other hand is about having the big cup fall onto the tama excactly how you want it. With practice, It doesn't matter the stickiness, just that for harder tricks, stickier makes it MUCH easier.
    2. I like my strings at 4 to 4.5 finger length, and 2 seems way too short. With a 2 finger string it is WAY harder to learn tricks (at least for me). Juggles (I am not talking about Moshikame - they are very different) are almost impossible with short 2 finger strings.
    3. Shortening: Pull the string out of the tama, cut it, put the bead back if it fell out, tie a slip knot or overhand knot.
    4. Basecup to downspike is a trick that just takes practice. Experiment a little, until you find the best way for you to do it.

Jul 15, 2017
    Mercadus likes this.