Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Any car fanatics here?

Discussion in 'Non-Dama Drama' started by StrattusCloud, Feb 21, 2019.

1. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

I’m super into cars so I was curious. What are you all driving? What do you wish you were driving? And does anyone mod their car?

I’ve got an Infiniti G35 and I love the skyline life! I would love to have a GTR, FRS/BRZ/86, Mustang, 370Z, Challenger, Corvette, Lambo, LFA, or McLaren haha. Also the 2020 Supra is looking sick. Saw a prototype in a parking lot the other day. As for mods, I’m not doing any performance changes as of yet, but I just installed an underbody light kit, Infiniti ghost shadow projector light, and tinted the tail lights. Got a roof and trunk spoiler on order too!

In addition, what do you like/dislike about your rides?

Feb 21, 2019
    Qonnor likes this.
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I've been over here in Asia for long while, with no car, but when I was Stateside more I was definitely a gearhead. Drag raced, auto-crossed, and a few other types of racing kept me entertained for a long while. One series back in college I ran in the SCCA classification of C Prepared with a 5-speed 454ci Z-28 that shifted at 7K. It was my daily driver complete with A/C, a full interior, and stereo. Used to wrench on the family 66 Corvette and drove it occasionally. Modded my Mazda with prototype swaybars and wide tires so it could at least go around a corner even if it couldn't get out of its own way in a straight line.

This is an example of the auto-cross class I ran. (not me however)

Feb 22, 2019
    Qonnor and StrattusCloud like this.
  3. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Yusss this is the thread we needed!

I'm as much of a motorcycle guy as I am a car guy, my garage is as follows:

'16 crosstrek (daily) it's a 5 speed so I get a bit of cred right?
    '84 Dodge D50
    '81 Yamaha XT250

I'm mostly interested in older stuff. Owned a '79 ranchero for awhile that I learned a lot of lessons working on.

@goenKendama You're in Japan correct? I've heard there is a pretty cool car culture out there.

Feb 22, 2019
    StrattusCloud and goenKendama like this.
  4. goenKendama

Manual transmission = definite gearhead credit. I understand the tech has gotten to where they're not as fast but it's the experience of actually driving vs having the tech do it for you that I enjoy.

'79 yep that one is still a great one for learning about all the stuff you can't even reach under the hood of a new car. :rolleyes:

In Japan they do have a pretty wicked car enthusiast culture, lots of variations, however without a car of my own here I can only look on wistfully. Have a look at Youtube for some insight.

Feb 22, 2019
    StrattusCloud likes this.
  5. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

Yes! These days it’s really tough to actually learn about the mechanics of cars, since new systems are much more complex, harder to access, and dealerships usually take care of maintenance. I feel nostalgia for a time I didn’t even grow up in, where people understood and did their own work on cars. I’m trying to educate myself with help from relatives, since it really should be a common skill. Maybe I’ll take a class in college next year!

Feb 22, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  6. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

To a degree, I think the Internet has made it easier to learn than it's ever been honestly. For example, I got my D50 for free and was able to learn pretty much everything I needed to get it running and do some crucial preventative maintenance from an online forum that's actually dedicated to that specific car. Pretty much same story with a little Honda Spree I got this last summer. The Internet is so sick! Have you checked out any of the Motortrend shows? I learned a LOT of what I know about how cars work from Roadkill and Hotrod garage on there. Obviously those shows aren't designed to be purely educational, but they're certainly informative and super fun to watch.

It definitely is much harder to take a car off the showroom floor and expect to work on it yourself. Hell, my crosstrek doesn't even have a temp gauge. That said, if you do your research some of these newer cars are going to be worth it in the long run in terms of reliability. For example, my crosstrek has a timing chain instead of a timing belt which eliminates a HUGE maintenance item that pretty much every Japanese motor has featured for a long long time.

There really is something to be said though about knowing that you can fix most things that could go wrong with your ride. I'm just finishing up a full rebuild of the motor on my XT250. When it's all said and done, I'll have spent about $400 total on that thing (including the cost of the bike) and will have a really awesome little motorcycle to cruise around the city on.

Feb 24, 2019
  7. goenKendama

Motor Trend used to have a bunch of good free content over on Youtube but decided they could monetize it better on their own. You can still occasionally find full episodes. The Drive, Big Muscle, Hot Rod garage, Roadkill, etc.

Feb 24, 2019
  8. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

The S10 episodes are so good! I pay for a MT on demand subscription, it's so worth it to me.

Feb 24, 2019
    StrattusCloud and goenKendama like this.
  9. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

Hell Yeah!
    I love my olschool Euro Rides - saving up for a E190 (W124) Benz atm.
    Atm driving my parents E220 Tmodel which is great fun aswell.
    Also my main focus and passion lies in Porsche - pre 1990 and also new gen ones

Feb 25, 2019
    Qonnor, StrattusCloud and goenKendama like this.
  10. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

Gotta love Porsche’s

Feb 25, 2019
    slothymane likes this.
  11. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

Speaking of Porsche, a Panamera turbo S hit my coworkers car into 4 others in the pharmacy parking lot today. Right across from where my old Lexus GX470 was hit by an Accord a few months ago. Older patients that visit the medical center and individuals on medication seem to be the cause of the accidents. I was so worried it was my car again and I was thinking, dang, the Jaguar next to me would be hit too. Luckily not, and everyone was fine.
    Has anyone else had their parked car hit?

Feb 26, 2019
  12. goenKendama

Yep by my old girlfriend's sister. Couldn't really ask her to pay for it but she tried to tell me it was my fault. I'd parked on the opposite side of the street across from their house facing into traffic so she said I was parked illegally. So wait, that caused you to hit a parked car because of why exactly. :eek:

Feb 27, 2019
  13. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

That’s too bad! You can only control your own mistakes, so it stinks when stuff like that happens.

Mar 5, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.