Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Anyone from places without a dama scene?

Discussion in 'Sessions' started by caraway chiba, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

SoCal has a decent scene in many places, a few years ago it was huge, but you can still find homies to jam with if you know where to look.

Jan 14, 2019
  2. StrattusCloud

StrattusCloud Member

Yep SoCal is poppin with the dama scene

Jan 14, 2019
  3. Dentedtama

Dentedtama n00b

I live in Bloomsburg PA I haven't seen/heard anyone playing before or since I've been jammin.

Jan 17, 2019
  4. Con man

Con man Honed Member

I have a friend that just turned 60 she comes to the boulder jam with me some times never to old to dama

Jan 18, 2019
  5. Con man

Con man Honed Member

Im from loveland colorado and our dama gang is growing for sure I've been getting people hooked on it anytime seems a lil interested I give them an old dama and tell them ima be checking up if they are practicing and they do!

Jan 18, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  6. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@Con man Loveland, used to drive through there on the way to Estes Park in the Summers back in the day. Also used to go to a great kite place in Boulder called Into the Wind.

Jan 19, 2019
  7. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

Might have posted in here previously but whatever I'm trying to get more activity on DS.

I'm from west austria (Tyrol) and the scene here is pretty slim. Theres a few players in my "town" but only like 3 including me play regularly (mostly everyone alone because of weather/work etc)
    But @stixrowgang (on insta) are a few guys from Innsbruck & Vorarlberg who organized the first ever dama Event i went to and it was a blast. Players from upper austria, Vorarlberg etc came and it was such a great day.
    They are also working on a new jam in Bregenz(?) soonish which I hope to attend.
    Aditionally I might get in contact with them to have a jam in my hometown in summer.

My advice for people who try to "build" the scene is to find a place where you can jam together (in summer its the local Skatepark or somewhere at a river) and try to get routine seshs in.
    Even if its just two people its better than playing alone and hypes me to learn more each time!

Jan 24, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  8. Addie_Smurfyy

Addie_Smurfyy n00b

I honestly thought there was literally NO ONE in San Antonio and I also follow u on insta, didn’t realize u were in SA tho

Aug 4, 2019
  9. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Ohh dude! I'm from the Philippines but everytime I visit the States, I visit my uncle in San Antonio. Hope I can hit you up some day!

Aug 5, 2019
  10. mxkidd27

mxkidd27 n00b

Hey guys, I got into kendama a few months ago. I play literally every day but after a while you realize it’s just more fun to play w other people. The only issue is that NO ONE around here plays, I have like 2 friends that play but our schedules never seem to aline so we just end up sending clips just like ppl I know from kendama on the gram. If anyone on here is from anywhere in the Richmond area please feel free to hmu to jam! We can trade social media and maybe link up from there!

Aug 10, 2019
    Danny Malto likes this.
  11. goenKendama

Aug 11, 2019
    mxkidd27 likes this.
  12. mxkidd27

mxkidd27 n00b

I’m from Richmond VA and there is NO ONE out here it’s honestly depressing but I still play every day lol

Aug 11, 2019
  13. goenKendama

I've seen recommendations from others that one way to try and have players in your area is to make them yourself. Bring spare kendama with you when you go out and teach people to play.

Aug 11, 2019
    mxkidd27 likes this.
  14. mxkidd27

mxkidd27 n00b

I try and try so hard, I bring spares EVERYWHERE. I’ve gotten 1 or 2 friends to buy them but they never want to practice or jam. I think knowing other people and bringing other players around and showing my friends that it can be a group thing would help, which is why I’m here!

Aug 11, 2019
  15. goenKendama

Well a buddy of mine started leaving a couple on his desk at work and after a while they ended up making a team in their office. Their boss even liked the idea so much and got a few to put in the break room.

Aug 11, 2019
  16. mxkidd27

mxkidd27 n00b

That’s awesome! I work for a very small company though, I bought my little brother one but he doesn’t play much unless I’m around, not sure how to get him into it without other players and events and such other than just showing him how cool it is, and trying to teach

Aug 11, 2019
  17. goenKendama

To paraphrase an "old saw": You can lead a person to kendama but you can't make them play. The people you teach have to find their own reasons to play otherwise it won't take. Internal motivation tends to work better IMO.

Maybe work it into other activities like using it instead of Rock/Paper/Scissors or make a scoreboard for the most Moshikame or Spikes in a row and highest at the end of the month gets a free burger or something. You could even hit up KUSA or some other company for ideas or support but it would be better if you could get it going on your own a bit first.

Aug 11, 2019
    mxkidd27 likes this.
  18. mxkidd27

mxkidd27 n00b

Never thought of it like that, thanks for the advice maybe I’ll do some kind of little comp like that with my brother!

Aug 11, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  19. Robbb

Robbb n00b

I’m from Kansas City and it feels like me and my two friends are the only ones :(

Oct 8, 2019
  20. goenKendama

Not sure if it's an ongoing thing but you might check with your United Yoyo comp group. Apparently they've included kendama in past events.

Oct 8, 2019