Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Base Cup Redux: Pros and Cons + Homemade Redux

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by e~b, Dec 21, 2016.

1. e~b

e~b n00b

I know a base cup redux is supposed to help a lot with lunar balance, but why do only a select few of companies do it? I'm interested in the cons, because I have been brainstorming the idea of doing homemade base cup redux, by just taking a drill bit and drilling in maybe 1/2 an inch. Thoughts on it all?

Dec 21, 2016
  2. Koisuru Stephen

Koisuru Stephen Honed Member

Do you like doing slingers or ken flips?
    Taking weight out of any one part of the ken is going to affect different tricks in different ways. Making the ass end lighter or the Sarado heavier isn't necessarily an all around improvement for every player. There are a lot of people drilling their own though. Check out the LOT (lunar of today) crew on instagram for some inspiration if you're going to try it yourself.

Dec 21, 2016
    Steezdiaz and e~b like this.
  3. karekarekeah

karekarekeah Member

Only few companies do it, as I assume they want to appeal to certain players. The base cup redux allows the lunar balance of the ken to be awesome. But as you take out some weight from the spike part of the ken, it screws with the ability to do more slingers or ken flips and such.

Dec 21, 2016
    e~b likes this.
  4. e~b

e~b n00b

Yeah I assumed it would affect some other aspect of the game, I just didn't know what. I have a few kendamas that i don't use much anymore and I thought i would experiment around with them. I'm still trying to figure out what shape I like the best, and I thought i would try this

Dec 21, 2016
  5. furin

furin Member

I find a very sarado heavy or good lunar balance kendama to be not optimal for lighthouse flips, juggles, taps, insta lh flips yaaaaa know just anything that's not a stall or lunar. There definitely is implications for relieving weight on the base cup. I would do it on a kendama that you don't mind just dedicating to lunars and see how you like it.

Dec 21, 2016
  6. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I've never liked it, because it makes the ken feel less solid. You can find good lunar damas without any sort of hole in the bottom... soo...

Dec 22, 2016
  7. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I say do it. Experiment with it and see if you like it. If you don't like it, now you know. If you like it, you got a dope jammer! I currently have a GT-1.5 that I'm in the process of breaking in. After watching some of the GT homies jam the ish out of theirs, it surprisingly holds up well for the deepness the base cup has. I paired it up and weight matched it to the new white/green Terra Battlescar, and the lunars are awesome with it. The deeper base cup also doesn't affect other tricks as much because I can still sling it and do house flips without the rotation feeling weird. However, I have a birch GT x raw ash with a sarado that is 10 g heavier than the sword is, and that thing lunars almost horizontal lol. Other tricks like slings and one turn lighthouse definitely feel weird on that one. So while you don't need a hole in the bottom to have good lunars, it can help sometimes.

Dec 22, 2016
    e~b likes this.
  8. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I have never actually played with one but I did get the Slaydawg birthday edition for that exact reason so I will be able to give you a better opinion afterwards. I have really been trying to hone in my lunars so I thought I might as well try it. I would say that if you have a kendama to risk it with try to find a cool balance point.

Dec 22, 2016
    e~b likes this.