Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Bead keeps popping out....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sir Spike, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Nice video, but the one I was referring to is shown in their videos:
    @0:25

@2:15

It's fine to use on when stringing the Ken, but I hate it so much on the tama side.

Jun 27, 2017
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Moderator Staff Member

Ah, OK. I'd knot (hehe) seen those. Looks like the same knot tied 2 different ways. Usually I can get away with a really small slip knot under the sarado. Why don't you like stringing the tama?

One thing they don't mention in either video is a lighter to melt the string make it pointy. I don't use a "stringing tool" of mono-filament like they do since it you can't always get a doubled over bit of string through a hole like the bead which is often kind of small.

Jun 27, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  3. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

I love stringing tamas! I just hate how Sweets does this semi permanent knot as if they were dictating the desired length. I'm much more a fan of sending a tama unstrung (RWB, Terra, Yancy, PNW) for the user to adjust "proper" length. Even so, once I've strung something up, I might want to change something around in the future, so slip knots have become second nature to me.

And yes!!! ALWAYS MELT STRING TIPS!!!

They may (k)not mention fire+string+tiny fingers in the videos as the product is listed for ages 9+. Too risky of an audience?

Jun 27, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  4. goenKendama

goenKendama Moderator Staff Member

Guess Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts and camping are as popular as when I was younger. Fire was just another tool with which you had to exercise caution like a pocket knife or saw. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jun 28, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.