Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Beginner Kendama Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by amor, Sep 26, 2016.

1. amor

amor Member

I've given in and after first learning about kendamas about 3 months ago, I would finally like to buy my first kendama. Does anyone have any recommendations for a solid beginner kendama?

Sep 26, 2016
    JoJo_hudson1253 likes this.
  2. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

To be quite honest the type of kendama matters far less than who you get it from. It would be best to get one from someone local to you that wants to help get you into it, but if you don't have that, I'd be glad to do that for you. Shoot me an email at [email protected] or DM me on instagrama @micjosreedama or Facebook Michael Joseph Reeves

Oct 5, 2016
    Almostgets likes this.
  3. CCS_dama

CCS_dama n00b

#1 Keyaki Oozora / plain wood Oozora
    #2 red TK-16 / plain wood TK-16
    #3 Kaizen half-split natty/ghost
    #4 Sweets F3 - cushion paint

I remember when I first started playing... I would get a few different kendamas each time i ordered new setups. Sometimes it helps to have a few different types to develop your feel... or if certain setups tend to do tricks a bit better you can swap between setups depending on what you are trying... one can be a 'beater'...

maybe like an Oozora, a Krom, a Ken USA & a Sweets. such different feels between those four.

Oct 7, 2016
    Almostgets, htimSxelA and Jenny Cho like this.
  4. Michael Joseph Reeves

Oct 8, 2016
  5. David Morrison

David Morrison n00b

I for sure think your first dama should be something not crazy expensive, something you can really slam on. I recommend natty tk16s for such a dama. Just tanks, and they have small bevels which will get you more honed in.

Oct 11, 2016
  6. Michael Joseph Reeves

Totally agree with that. Def wouldn't recommend learning on a sticky paint or a big bevel i feel like it would handicap you.

Oct 12, 2016
  7. Jenny Cho

Jenny Cho Slayer

I'm with this comment! :) These are all collection staples; It's definitely nice to own a few different options to try out and see what you like. My first 3 kendamas were a KUSA Silk Kaizen, Sweets F2 aTack, and Ozora Galaxy. Purchased them all within the span of a month or so, and it allowed me to try out a wide range of different paint finishes.

But if you're gonna go with just one, a TK-16 as a first dama is one of the best choices since your first kendama is guaranteed to be destroyed, and TKs are very durable, and good training damas. If you can learn balance tricks on a TK, you're going to be so good at them when you upgrade to a cushion or silk paint.

Oct 14, 2016
    nikki_deo likes this.
  8. Zac

Zac n00b

KendamaCo still has their liquidation of super cheap damas for sale. Like 5 bucks for a Shenzu which is a good beginner dama. Although something non-glossy would be better for getting into lighthouse tricks

Oct 14, 2016
    7Cabbages, Steezdiaz and amor like this.
  9. Cobikaze

Cobikaze Honed Member

Can't go wrong with a silk Kendama USA Kaizen for a first dama. Recommend half or trip split for good tracking.

Nov 5, 2016
    Almostgets and amor like this.
  10. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

@CCS_dama knows, get that red or natty TK16, hone in on it. Kendama is hard. Also pick up something rubbery and striped, kaizen halfsplits are very solid all around.

Nov 6, 2016
    Almostgets and amor like this.
  11. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

My first kendama was a alex smith pro model and then I got the colin sander pro mod.
    I recommend though an ozora or tk16 painted kendama.

Nov 27, 2016
  12. JoJo_hudson1253

JoJo_hudson1253 Honed Member

hey honestly don't get one that is TOO expensive... if you like 'dama then get the more expensive ones.... sounds like common sense but people at my school get super expensive damas to start off with and then they figure out dama isn't for them... soo go with a kenco dama or a kenusa one or even a sweets... best wishes bro!

Nov 30, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  13. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

Is something like the Colin Sander pro model different than a regular Kendama? I also want to get my first one, and am trying to decide which I should get.

Do any of them make it easier for 100% n00bs?

Dec 1, 2016
  14. JoJo_hudson1253

i do not think so but i wouldnt know because of my lack of setups

Dec 2, 2016
  15. JoJo_hudson1253

sorry i could't help more

Dec 2, 2016
  16. Mr.Bishop

Mr.Bishop Member

I pulled the trigger on the CS pro last night. Looked sick and want to support the guy.

Dec 2, 2016
  17. JoJo_hudson1253

nice! i hope you enjoy it!

Dec 2, 2016