Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Best Trends in Kendama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by goenKendama, Dec 22, 2017.

1. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

So as of today, the Worst Trends in Kendama thread has been running about 15 months and is on page 16. As we roll into the holiday season I was thinking it would be nice to have a little reminder of the positivity that is out there as well.

Hats off to all who have participated in that long running thread above for taking the time to let us know what you'd like to see changed. Now let's see what you guys believe are the best trends in kendama and what you think we can do to perhaps correct some of the worst trends. Maybe even suggest things that should be a trend.

From somewhere I remember part of a quote that says "it's always easier to tear down than to build." Let's see if maybe we can find new ways to improve and build our community.

On a personal note, since our scene in the Philippines is still pretty small a lot of our focus has been trying to bring more players into the community. We've been trying to learn as much as we can to not only be better players but better teachers and role models in the kendama community.

One of the best trends I see is all the efforts to share kendama in schools, offices, and in places where no one has ever heard of it. In that light here are a few threads that might deserve a second look:

Creating a Community
    Getting Kendama into Gym Curriculums
    Elementary School Kendama Club
    Anyone From Places Without a Dama Scene
    Déjà vu, Beginner Again

Let's shine a little light on the good stuff.

Dec 22, 2017
  2. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

hmmm... you are right, tearing down is easier than building up... but

One thing that is important in the dama community is events and jams, because that is how the community connects and new people learn about the game. Today's companies have done an excellent job in hosting countless events for these reasons.

Another positive is how sponsored players work to spread the love. For example, @htimSxelA is sponsored by KUSA, but he branched off and created his own company and shop, where he hosts events and spreads Canadian dama love. Also, players like the galleghers are constantly working at spreading love, as they host or attend events like the Romanian kendama open, or that Jam in SD. another example: @Dwesty and his Murrieta event (IDK exactly what its called). I know there are many, many others who spread the love in whatever way they can but those are just a few.

Thank you so much companies and players worldwide for creating an amazing, welcoming, and involved dama community and bringing so many new players (like me) into the game every day!

Dec 22, 2017
  3. Sirwillcode

Sirwillcode Slayer

I I think companies constantly trying to improve their shape and paint and just overall quality is a really good thing that I see in almost all companies. They all are striving to better themselves through their products and I think the customers are noticing. Even companies like cobra, which I thought wasn't taking dama too seriously has changed my mind and look like they are trying to put out some good products. And success dictates a little trial and error and most are the better for it.

Tl.dr: Companies that strive to make the best products will have the best chance to do well. And so will their consumers.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Dec 22, 2017
  4. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

Play styles I really like to see right now are gallegher stilt tech and string flow.

Dec 22, 2017
  5. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

6. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Ah this is such a good idea!

I already touched on this in the worst trends thread but I gotta say I am constantly super inspired and impressed by the pros. You'd be hard pressed to find another game/sport where the pros are so engaged in the community while still pushing progression. Like at the last jam I went to a couple of the pros took the time to help me with my juggle spikes. That sort of accessibility to people in the top tier of the game just ins't realistic in other sports.

I also gotta shoutout the Downspike community and especially the mods. I've only been a member for a few months but already this community feels super special and pushes me to want to be a better and more engaged player. I'm absolutely floored when I think about the amount of time and work the mods put into this resource. Y'all have created such an amazingly positive and constructive community here. I feel lucky to be a part of it.

Dec 22, 2017
  7. Trenton Jayce

Trenton Jayce n00b

Not really a trend buts its awesome how slayers genertate so many styles of play that all amaze me. Like Kendama is such a diverse toy. I guess you could say it’s a good trend that slayers create their own styles into the game

Dec 22, 2017
    goenKendama and ttocsic like this.
  8. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Saw a post today on FKC where a guy had donatd a kendama as a gift for (IIRC) underprivileged kids at a public school and the kid who got it was absolutely stoked that his gift was so unique compared to the others. Teared up on the inside, and a little on the out when I read it.
    Definitely a great trend, just the giving aspect of the kendama community as a whole whether it’s to fellow slayers or not.

Dec 22, 2017
  9. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

Everything Ben Herald does

Dec 22, 2017
    Ochee3, Jake.ship, htimSxelA and 7 others like this.
  10. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

Just the friendlyness present everywhere. In a lot of other communities, beginners are punished and laughed at, but the kendama community is really inclusive to everyone. Even in my first really bad posts on my Instagram, people were kind enough to leave supportive messages, which really pushed me on.

Dec 23, 2017
    Ochee3, slothymane, johndmc and 4 others like this.
  11. bonerkid

bonerkid Honed Member

I guess it's just nice when someone does something really cool and new, especially if it also happens to be a call back to more classic dama stuff. For example, candle tricks have been really prominent in a lot of edits this year. It's nice, cause it's a super classic trick and now people are trying to do a lot of new things with it. The thing is, when it becomes a trend, it's just not as cool anymore.

Something I'd like to be a trend (especially among the really good players) is doing edits on old school kendamas. I think it's great that the shapes are evolving, but nothing impresses me like a banger on a natty ozora.

Dec 23, 2017
  12. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

something impresses me more than a banger on a natty ozora- a banger on a natty TK.

Dec 23, 2017
    Qonnor and goenKendama like this.
  13. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Oh yeah, I like this idea. Can you imagine guys lacing upper level KWC tricks on an JKA TK16 red? That would be epic. :D

Dec 23, 2017
    Qonnor likes this.
  14. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Kendama is my favorite form of meditation. It shows you that you’re capable of more than you know. Also I’m digging the steady rise in popularity of slightly larger kendamas like the Slaydawg, GT-KA, Kendama Israel Big Bro Tetrah, KUSA Craft, etc. 16cm and standard cup size just don’t cut it for my hands.

Dec 23, 2017
    slothymane, johndmc, Qonnor and 3 others like this.
  15. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I really love this too! This is the best part of kendama

Dec 23, 2017
  16. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Spiking the tama (a reference to the person who put down 'missed spikes' in the worst trends forum)

Dec 23, 2017
    LifeDeLicious, Qonnor, dcc and 2 others like this.
  17. Andrewken

Andrewken n00b

One of the best trends in kendama for me is the rise of slightly bigger kendamas. I have huge hands so it is nice because a standard sized dama feels tiny in my hands.

Dec 23, 2017
    htimSxelA, KeeganS and Emil Apostol like this.
  18. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

One thing I love about the kendama community right now is how companies are actually working together to forward the toy, the game, and the sport. Some examples of these are the collabs Sweets does with everyone; they paint tamas for other companies and their pros even fly out to other companies' events.

It isn't like other industries where competition is cutthroat. It seems that kendama, like skateboarding and BMX, has such a collaborative atmosphere about it that I have not experienced before with my other hobbies.

Dec 23, 2017
  19. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

For me, one od the greatest thing that happened this year or will be in a few months from today is that there are select few breaking records. pushing thru the limits of a single trick.

Another one is that kendama is reaching out more countries than before & they are have shown great interest in participating on things. (i.e. ig contest seeing more japanese player joining, the community edit as well)etc...

Dec 23, 2017
    goenKendama, Qonnor and Emil Apostol like this.
  20. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Both the trick and the website. ;)

Dec 24, 2017
    goenKendama, Qonnor and Andy Dama like this.