Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Bringing Damas to School?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by karekarekeah, Dec 24, 2016.

1. karekarekeah

karekarekeah Member

I remember a couple of years ago a lot of kendama players were saying that their schools had prohibited bringing damas to school. My schools never banned kendamas so I brought some while in junior high and still continue to in high school. Do you bring a dama or two with you to school/ work?

Dec 24, 2016
  2. Zack Gallagher

Zack Gallagher Member

3. thoplard

thoplard Member

Of course this is one of the best thing to spread Kendama love, when I started playing at the University I was alone and now we are like 15 Kendamas owners and much more people know what a kendama is!

Dec 24, 2016
  4. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

I bring to sch everyday and play during recess of after sch otw home, managed to get a few classmates interested and playing kendama with me

Dec 24, 2016
  5. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

I dont know what the policy during the day is, but being the custodian after school i get to carry mine around

Dec 24, 2016
  6. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

My school hates damas but won't take them if you're just wearing them around during the day, breaks are when me and my few interested friends play. I have a nasty habit of 'accidentaly' taking mine out in class sometimes so they can be taken every once in a while

Dec 24, 2016
  7. Gabriel Hinrichs

Gabriel Hinrichs n00b

I'm literally the only person at my school that plays ken before the start of this school year. Teachers and everybody is interested in it and they actually want me to do this "unique talents" thing for 5th graders because of it lmao. There hasn't been one day I've gone to school without a kendama and I'm starting people on it I'm constantly letting people borrow damas haha.

Dec 24, 2016
  8. Brycenbutz12

Brycenbutz12 n00b

I bring it everyday andddd make sure to let ad many people play as possible!!

Dec 24, 2016
    Gabriel Hinrichs likes this.
  9. Preston

Preston Member

Last year at my school they were a hit everyone had one around there neck and in the hallway much to the administrations displeasure. One day due to misuse of a kendama someone got hit in the head and that was the end of it. The next week I brought my kaizen schnitzel to school and had it confiscated and taken to the office. When I went back to the office to go get it they had "lost it". That was the end of my first triple split. RIP.

Dec 24, 2016
  10. Gabriel Hinrichs

Gabriel Hinrichs n00b

Wow. I don't understand why schools hate it so much, it actually makes me mad.

Dec 24, 2016
    Jendama Sweetpickles likes this.
  11. James Sevilla

James Sevilla Honed Member

When I was in 8th (last year) dama was popular among all grades until the final few months and it died down at my part of the Bay Area. The first few weeks of my freshmen year, I've kept it in my bag and brought it out after school when I got bored. People in my XC Team tease me when I play, but they've played before. Now I feel insecure whenever someone brings up Kendama at school :confused:. But I go to San Jo Slays now so it's all chill. :)

Dec 24, 2016
  12. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

My dama playing started while I was in school at the UofA. Me and some friends started a school club up, and would sesh in-between classes a few times a week. It was great.

Dec 24, 2016
  13. Jendama Sweetpickles

Jendama Sweetpickles Member

We allow them at school, I worked with our principal to come up with some rules for the hallways. The classroom teachers have the ultimate say in their rooms, and I always let the kids bring them to PE, because even if we're not using them at that time I let the kids use them at changing time or any free time.

Dec 24, 2016
  14. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I really WISH that kendamas were around when I was in school. Would have been a ton of fun. I'm so old though, I think damas were just hitting the N. America scene when I was graduating from University. :(

Dec 24, 2016
    RyanArthurWalker and Steezdiaz like this.
  15. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Senior year of high school was only kendama. That's the year kendama started getting popular around the Bay, so a lot of people had one. This included people who only bought it to look cool and be on the hype, but I mean I guess they still had one at least. After high school, I brought one to college for the first few weeks, but I stopped when I realized that I always go back home after class is done anyways. I never bring one with me to work because I have absolutely no time to jam when I'm there, but I always keep extras in my trunk in case I ever get the rare opportunity to.

Dec 24, 2016
  16. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Stoked to hear most schools allow them! :) we have something in the works that you guys are gonna want to bring to school for sure. That's all I can say right now tho!

Dec 24, 2016
  17. Radson

Radson Honed Member

In hawaii, my school JCHS banned them because of gambling. I still bring them to school still.

Dec 24, 2016
  18. Preston

Preston Member

I completely agree. It is very frustrating especially when they are so strict on cell phones when students find a good alternative they don't like it either.

Dec 24, 2016
    Radson and Gabriel Hinrichs like this.
  19. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

Started playing while I was at university and was one of three kids on campus with a Kendama. Brought one in my bag everyday and still bring one to work without fail.

Always great to pass the time.

Dec 24, 2016
  20. Jackkendama22

Jackkendama22 n00b

Same but people just thinks it's stupid I just tell them I don't care what they think and still play everyday

Dec 24, 2016