Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Can you repair a broken kendama?

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by goenKendama, Jan 6, 2020.

1. goenKendama

goenKendama Moderator Staff Member

There have been a growing number of split, chipped, or broken kendama photos out there.

Does anyone attempt repairs? Here are some ideas if you want to give it a try. Post your own suggestions here as well.

Jan 6, 2020
  2. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

So, in model building (at least in relation to gunpla building though I would assume it transfers over to similar model kits) if a joint or peg gets broken one of the ways to fix it is to drill a small hole through the two broken halves and insert a thin copper/metal rod before adhering the two pieces back together. The metal rod serves to give the broken piece support and stability/sturdiness after repairing.

I'd assume the same can be done with a broken ken/spike though I haven't tried it (literally just thought of this concept before coming to add this comment). Clean up both pieces before drilling a hole into both broken pieces and inserting a thinner metal rod and cut it to size so both pieces can be wood glued back together. I'm not sure what type of metal would be best to use as the repaired kendama would see a lot more impact and action than a stationary model kit. And I'm sure the 'repaired' kendama will not be the same again as cleaning up the broken areas would more than likely change the overall height of the kendama depending on how bad the break was.

Jan 13, 2020
    goenKendama likes this.