Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Catch & Flow 2018 visitors - JKA Dan Testing being offered

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by goenKendama, Nov 21, 2018.

?

What day would you want to take the JKA Dan level test?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2018.
  1. December 6, Thursday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. December 10, Monday

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. December 11, Tuesday

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other date: please specify in a post below.

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Anyone interested in taking the JKA Dan level tests while visiting Japan in December please vote for the date when you would like to take it. The JKA would like to try and set up a couple of days where players could take the challenge.

Once they get an idea of which day(s) would be the most convenient I'll post them here. The place will likely be in Harajuku (Shibuya) at the Harajuku Kendama Club's meet-up location.

Here is some additional information from a previous post:

I received word from a JKA official about costs related to the tests. The test itself is free. It is the registration and annual membership components that require payment and those are optional. These are two examples he provides.

Here are the costs if choosing to become a JKA member. (Dan fees are discounted)
    JKA membership fee 5,000 JPY
    1st dan 4,000 JPY
    2nd dan 6,000 JPY
    3rd dan 8,000 JPY
    4th dan 10,000 JPY
    5th dan 20,000 JPY
    So if you passed 4th dan, and wanted to register, you would pay:
    5,000+4,000+6,000+8,000+10,000=33,000 JPY

Here are the costs if choosing not to become a JKA member. (Dan fees are not discounted)
    JKA membership fee 0 JPY
    1st dan 6,000 JPY
    2nd dan 9,000 JPY
    3rd dan 12,000 JPY
    4th dan 15,000 JPY
    5th dan 30,000 JPY
    So if you passed 4th dan, and wanted to register, you would pay:
    0+6,000+9,000+12,000+15,000=42,000 JPY

Normally the JKA requires each Dan level to be completed before the next higher is attempted, the tests need 3 examiners to administer for Dan 1-5, and at least one month should have elapsed between attempts. In an effort to help foreign players achieve Dan ranks they have made some allowances and adjustments to their standard system in certain circumstances.

*** If you only wish to take the Dan test(s) without registering your rank or joining the JKA membership then upon passing a given rank you will receive an A4 size form that states the level you passed. Hang on to that form. If you choose in the future to become registered and receive the corresponding Japanese certificate (pictured below) the associated fees would need to be paid.

For reference Dan certs:

Nov 21, 2018
  2. goenKendama

Hey guys, someone voted "Other date" but didn't post here. I can't pass along your requests if you don't specify what would work best for you so leave your preferred date if it isn't already listed (and voted for) here.

Nov 27, 2018
  3. goenKendama

OK Heard from the JKA judge, the tests will be available on Dec. 9 by request. If you are interested post here and I'll pass it along.

Dec 4, 2018
  4. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

Sorry John, that was me. Thought you could see the results. Just wondering what kind of interest there is out there..

Dec 4, 2018
  5. goenKendama

@maxdesu Interest we've got but timing not so much. Had inquiries from folks on short visiting schedules and shuffling the JKA volunteers around got kind of messy. Nakanishi-san released the others who could make it on the days above and gave me the 9th. He's also talking directly to a few people I think but I'm not sure what's up there.

I was hoping that using the HKC location for JKA testing when folks came in for events would take some of the load off the JKA office but since we just started the club it will likely take a bit before people know about us.

Did you want to take a Dan test? IIRC you're going for 5 or 6th so we'd need extra judges (5 instead of just 3).

Dec 4, 2018
  6. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

I actually havent paid my JKA dues this year.. hah! I could test up to 4th if I pay. Maybe I'll go do that..

Dec 5, 2018
  7. goenKendama

@maxdesu You don't have to be a member to take the tests. They just cost a bit more if you choose to get the achievement and certificate. See the info in the first post.

Dec 6, 2018
  8. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

I have 2級指導員 too. I could test people up to 4th if I payed my membership this year..

Dec 9, 2018
  9. goenKendama

Ah, cool. Only thing is that IIRC the memberships are a calendar year. You might as well wait a couple of weeks and just get a full year out of your membership. I don't think you have to keep it up though I couldn't swear to that.

Dec 10, 2018
  10. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

You have to renew your membership every year or you lose your license.

Jan 1, 2019
  11. goenKendama

Hope you got it squared away and can be active again.

Jan 3, 2019