Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

DAMA HACKS!!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Jmaxymek42, Jan 12, 2017.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Bearings, I assume. A plastic techdeck wheel would probably work fine as a normal bead though

Jan 24, 2017
  2. theligitchriswhit

theligitchriswhit Honed Member

Ya that's what I was thinking. You can get four bearing wheels for about five bucks which is cheaper than any other bearings I believe.

Jan 24, 2017
  3. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Techdeck/fingerboard bearing wheels actually work better in some tama because of the way they're drilled. I've had the small bearings bind in the bottom of the hole in the tama but then swapped to the wheel/bearing and it worked fine without binding.

Jan 24, 2017
    sambarboo and Congarranza like this.
  4. Allen Joshua Santamaria

Allen Joshua Santamaria Member

does it work on spectra kens?

Jan 24, 2017
  5. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

i haven't tried it, but i imagine it would make the colors pop quite a bit more. I also think that with the oil it's be less prone to chipping, but I'm not sure

Jan 26, 2017
  6. htimSxelA

Yea, it should absorb into spectra kens fairly well. Here's my input on oil making kens 'more durable', copypasted from another thread:

------------
    I wouldn't expect adding a finish to make a kendama last longer, persay. With most wood products, a finish WILL help the product last longer, since the biggest risks in that product being damaged are things like local climate, water damage, etc. A finish will seal the wood, so it will not absorb water or other substances that could damage the wood.
    For example, I made some cutting boards last Xmas, and kept one for myself. I oiled it, so it wouldn't absorb any food, or water while being washed. Oil finishes eventually wear away, so recently (about a year after applying the original finish) I ran into some trouble with the board absorbing some water, and warping out slightly (crap!). This means I need to reapply a finish, to protect the cutting board and preserve it for future use.

With a kendama, the biggest risk for damage is playing with it. I really don't think an oil or other finish will help much in preventing the denting/chipping damage that most players consider to be detrimental to a kendama, but it could help slow down the absorption of dirt / other undesirable stuff that can make a kendama look ratty and old.
    MAYBE by filling the wood pores with finish there is some added structural integrity, but that isn't what is meant when woodworkers say that a finish 'helps protect the wood', afaik. I would place my bets on the finish having little affect on the kendama's ability to take a beating, if any at all.

TL;DR: Oils or other finishes will generally darken the wood, and may add some playability (eg beeswax adds stickyness), but they won't help against physical damage to the kendama.

Read more at http://www.downspike.com/threads/pr...xing-kens-and-tamas.1104/#yxb7XWJWxLv4S9JZ.99

Jan 26, 2017
  7. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Hi
    I have a problem i have two kendamas, and both of them have destroyed basecup, because of lighthouse flips. Do you have some tips how to avoid it?

Attached Files:

Mar 6, 2017
  8. htimSxelA

Avoid it? Don't do lighthouse flips so much :p
    You could try to fix it by sanding the bottom to be flat again. Put sandpaper on something flat, carefully slide the basecup flat across it

Mar 6, 2017
  9. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Are you doing flips with hole facing up or not? Because i think when ken flips and land on hole, in this moment basecup is destroying the most.

Mar 7, 2017
    Stuart Barron likes this.
  10. magicdamadude

magicdamadude Honed Member

Do you know of any good substitutes to coconut based products? My fiance will pretty much fall over dead within five minutes if she's anywhere near coconut.

Mar 7, 2017
  11. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I've used Bee Kind and it has Manuka and Tea Tree oils as well as beeswax. I've read in places that those oils are also good on wood on their own too.

Mar 7, 2017
  12. htimSxelA

If you hit up your local woodworking / hardware shop they'll likely have some different seals / finishes on hand, including some that are food safe. I don't have much experience outside of coconut oil, linseed oil, and some 'butchers block' brand wood seal (I don't remember the exact ingredients of it). Generally I don't put anything on my kendamas, just natural wood. Playing them puts enough sweat and dirt into the ken to do the job imo

Mar 7, 2017
    magicdamadude likes this.
  13. CMFeijóo

CMFeijóo Member

I huff into my hands to get the ken a little less slippery.

Mar 8, 2017
  14. amagad

amagad Slayer

there are quite hacks to keep the sarado from slipping off the ken, I use ultra thin double-sided tape

BEST 1/4' Ultra-Thin Double-Sided Tape for Arts, Crafts, Photograph...

Mar 8, 2017
    htimSxelA likes this.
  15. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

i love super gluing my spikes especially on nattysss

Mar 8, 2017
    KeeganS likes this.
  16. Graham Pehrson

Graham Pehrson n00b

I also practice gunslingers all day at work whenever I walk through the office!

Mar 12, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  17. Duke Dean

Duke Dean Member

I'm gonna make a YouTube video trying kendama hacks and I was wondering what your favorites are?

May 4, 2017
  18. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

[mod mode, activate!]

IMG_2783.GIF

@Duke Dean, there exists an awesome thread (and videos!) detailing most of the dama hacks you can think of!
    So i've merged both yours and said thread.

The "Search" feature is a powerful ally, yet underused.
    Head over to the top right side (in desktop) or to the left side (menu bar, under "Forums") to look up threads and discussions!
    Have fun, mate!

May 4, 2017
  19. Duke Dean

Duke Dean Member

Thank youu for the extra help

May 4, 2017
  20. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I like to get some saliva or sweat or even water into the bevel to hone in birds

May 4, 2017