Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

DAMA HACKS!!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Jmaxymek42, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Wendy Nugroho

Wendy Nugroho Member

not mine but it's a real modification, i guess. handicapped

i tried this once but added a pinetree cone instead of barrel. it was rewarding. i think i need to revisit this experience.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Nov 5, 2018
  2. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Lately I've been adding small stickers, and drawing stuff with Sharpie on my damas. If I'm hanging out with friends, I'll get them to add some art to it as well. I like that it gives a sort of custom vibe, kinda like some dama tatts or something.

Bearing bead is my usual, and I'll superglue a spike to keep it sharp these days. Once the spike wears down, I'll carefully sand/carve it back into shape. No spit on the bevel plz

Nov 5, 2018
    Kendama London and Wendy Nugroho like this.
  3. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

4. CodyGriz

CodyGriz Slayer

Wait... What is this??

Does this help or hurt?

Nov 8, 2018
  5. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Looks to me like it's just a charm that was added to it (like when putting charms on phones in Japan)

Nov 8, 2018
  6. Wendy Nugroho

Wendy Nugroho Member

i believe it's a wooden barrel, give additional weight or handicap to the ken. check the slide 3 to see how it plays.

Nov 8, 2018
    htimSxelA likes this.
  7. FDkendama22

FDkendama22 Member

I find that having your friend threaten to toss you into a thorn bush if you don’t land a trick is great motivation.

Dec 1, 2018
    Jasper B. and htimSxelA like this.
  8. Jeromey Schwierz

Jeromey Schwierz n00b

Hey guys, im new in that kendama universe... practicing hard for just two months now. My first "professional" kendama got a little bit dry i guess. After reading of some sorts of wax i can use to get it fresh again, i looked around in the house and found lemon oil by dunlop, which i normally use for my guitar. Can someone recommend that for using it on the ken? Would be great if someone had a helping advice. :)

Apr 17, 2019
  9. JHard502710

JHard502710 Slayer

Just a heads up. There’s a search function in the drop down that can help find such threads, but asking in the Dama hacks section was a good first place to start if you’re new here!
    Here’s a thread on “kenditioning” your Ken.
    https://www.downspike.com/threads/shades-of-grain.3611/
    They make special stuff for it from a company called Find Your Wings. They sell it on Sol’s web store and so does Graintheory when they have it in stock as well as FYW own big cartel site..
    https://www.solkendamas.com/collections/featured-products/products/kenditioner

http://findyourwingsco.com/shop/premiumkenditioner

Apr 17, 2019
    htimSxelA and goenKendama like this.
  10. Jeromey Schwierz

Jeromey Schwierz n00b

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your reply! :)

Apr 17, 2019
  11. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I’ve tried the lemon oil from dunlop, it doesnt work like the aforementioned kenditioner.
    The lemon oil is a cleaner, not something to be used for wood treatment like kenditioner is. Kenditioner will strengthen the wood in addition to bringing out the grain and making it more visually appealing (especially with spectra ply kens once it’s fully seeped into the wood)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Apr 17, 2019
    Osephj likes this.
  12. goenKendama

You may find some useful information about wood finishers and waxes over here: Shades of Grain From my experience wood treatments tend to do a bit better on fresh clean wood since the dirt and oils from play get into the wood and then are covered by the wood treatments. That said if your wood is dry then it will help but understand that it's primarily going over whatever is already there not removing the previous dirt. Most finishers will make the wood darker or change the color a bit but that depends on what type of wood with the more porous being the most effected.

Depending on your definition, I'm not sure I'd say Kenditioner or similar products "strengthen the wood" but perhaps makes them more resilient. It doesn't make wood harder but it *might* make it somewhat chip resistant by making the wood softer, more pliant, less brittle so that it dents before chipping in some cases. In that age old challenge of wood versus concrete however wood will still lose. :D

May 1, 2019
  13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos n00b

I used this for a Ken just to try it out i use it in my Vape mods came out a bit darker smoother . I want my Kendamas to get destroyed i feel satisfied by my effort to make them suffer no glues nothing i like to see them broken

Attached Files:

May 13, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  14. 96817dama

96817dama Member

If the cups are so low that the string itself is pulling the cups off, I restring it like a musou/rez and that significantly extends the life and can sometimes really help with lunar balance. There is a huge downside though because the longer spike length and shorter handle length takes more time to get used to but IMO the lunar balance becomes pretty on point.

May 23, 2019
  15. FDkendama22

FDkendama22 Member

Slap a small piece of duct tape on the Ken under the sarado, helps with “flying cup syndrome”

May 26, 2019
  16. goenKendama

Not really a fan of the goo that tape leaves on my ken so I go with the method discussed in an earlier post.

You might check these threads for more info on slipping sarado.
    Slipping Sarado
    Detective Ken and the Case of the Sliding Sarado - specific woods or wood combos that tend to slip

May 26, 2019
  17. Dre_11

Dre_11 Honed Member

So I was gluing the tip of my dama and I wasnt it holding it upside down, now i accidentally got glue in my cups! I really want to change the sword with another dama but cant take off the cups anymore... any help?

Jun 11, 2019
  18. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

depending on what glue you used try putting it in the freezer for some time. Then give it a twistnpull (no sudden hits/pulls as that might shatter the sarado)

Jun 13, 2019
    Dre_11 likes this.
  19. goenKendama

@Dre_11 I don't know what it would do to the wood but acetone is what I usually use to remove superglue.

Jun 13, 2019
  20. frank_Frank

frank_Frank n00b

Does this work for walnut too???

Jun 23, 2019