Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Dama Poll: Unique Setups

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by KeeganS, Jan 11, 2019.

?

Which do you prefer

Poll closed Jan 14, 2019.
  1. Having the same/similar damas as others

29.4%
  2. Having a unique setup that very few others own too

52.9%
  3. Having a unique setup that no one else (to your knowledge) owns

41.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Just curious which you prefer between the choices above.

Also, would love to see any unique setups you may have: straight up rare setups/customs or mixed and matched damas made as your perfect setup.

Jan 11, 2019
  2. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

personally, if I see someone do something (trick/edit) that I really like with a certain setup, I will want to use that setup. Besides, I don't have that many unique damas.

Jan 11, 2019
  3. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I do like having popular tamas just so I can have an opinion on different aspects of kendama but nothing is quite like having a one of a kind set up

Jan 11, 2019
    James Hoang and ChrisPChicken like this.
  4. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Personally, I don't care too much about having a rare setup, but I did win a Gold Flake Teej mod way back in the day from an FKC giveaway. It's now in possession of a friend who's more of a collector, plus he gave me a standard TJ mod and two Ozoras as a trade, so I say it's more than fair.

I'm also in possession of a one of a kind setup from CWCS. Will post pictures sometime soon!

Jan 12, 2019
  5. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Not necessarily just a rare kendama (like OG Mugens or one-off Sweets painted customs for example) but something unique, whether it’s a mixed and matched setup from one or more than one brand or something you made your own (painted, burned, modified, etc)

Jan 12, 2019
    Emil Apostol likes this.
  6. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I like all my 'unique' uniques, but living in MN (/my skill level) limit my willingness to bring rare damas out and play over snow and ice and stuff. I have a Sourmash Custom, but it only 'works' for like 3-4 months during the Summer, as soon as Fall rolls around, and the humidity dissipates, it isn't sticky enough to lunar eclipse anymore (like thats the standard X D). I like to Rotate my damas seasonally for this reason. kinda like how I put all my shorts and tank tops in storage for the winter, I take away all my damas that would just be more satisfying if played them later/ in better conditions.

I do have a one-off I bring on every vacation/ whenever I leave town. I never play it at home so it sort of gives my play style a little vacation too.

Jan 12, 2019
  7. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

I haven't ever chosen to really fork out the cash to get unique setups, but I can kind of feel myself heading that way. Since I haven't been playing for thaaaat long yet I've still been really hyped on trying to make sure I'm trying out all the new shapes as they come out. That said, the allure of that is starting to wear off and I find myself more and more wanting to save up and wait for the next Terra or GT drop and get something really beautifully crafted. Plus, I maaay have just picked up a lathe so we'll see where that takes me lol.

Jan 12, 2019
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  8. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

So from the top of my head my "Rarest" Setup is a Yourd Mod with a handturned Ash/Padauk/Ash tama.
    other setups: Bird Tama - O ken
    Yourdmod Tama - O ken
    One of One O Setup
    Hickory Squab + Raw ash HG Tama

also I still own a Voodama Doll from sweets

Jan 13, 2019
    nimron13 likes this.
  9. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Right now, I don't think many people would have a Sweets Purp/Silver F3 Haze on a beech Prime ken. Really want to get it on a maple Next Gen ken with silver string to match the seal and haze.

I also have a 1/1 Tsunami Customs bamboo tama that I want to string up onto a bamboo Prime ken and a Pumpken from KenCo that I want to pair up with a GT-1 Huntsman to match the colors.

Jan 13, 2019