Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

DIY KENDITIONER

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by lategreat808, Oct 14, 2017.

1. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

I saw a vid on yt that seemed pretty helpful. I think three coats, and after each coat you blow dry it.

Jan 18, 2018
    Emil Apostol likes this.
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Is the beeswax a brick (hard) or paste (soft)?

Jan 18, 2018
  3. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

It's a solution in a squeeze bottle sir.

Jan 18, 2018
    Jasper B. likes this.
  4. goenKendama

Depending on how much of the solution is beeswax and how much, and whatever else, is in there you'll probably be good just working it into the wood letting it dry and hitting it again. Wipe off the excess and then just play. Again depending on the actual cocktail of ingredients you may have to reapply every once in a while.

Jan 18, 2018
  5. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Question: does Beeswax really help kendamas last longer? Thinking of buying a spectraply kendama in the future, and I was thinking that Beeswax could help with the notoriously fragile nature of spectraply kens.

Jan 24, 2018
    Jasper B. and ttocsic like this.
  6. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

not that I know of, but I think a coconut oiled ken and a beeswaxed tama for a spectraply would slay- and for a long time.

Jan 24, 2018
    Jasper B. likes this.
  7. goenKendama

Depends on what you mean by "help kendamas last longer." If you mean does it make the wood stronger/tougher then I'd say it's unlikely. At best it might keep the wood more supple (assuming a dry environment) so that it might dent more than chip. If you mean does it protect from the elements water, grime, sweat from your hands then I'd refer you to furniture and wood working sites that discuss it.

From what I've read and personal experience with a fair number of treated kendama I'd say that it helps with grime by helping to seal the pores of the wood but it wears over time and depending on the treatment and wood you may have to retreat the kendama over time. In drier climates it (wax plus the oils in wood finishers) help to keep the wood from drying out but in the Philippines that's not as much of a concern.

For me personally I treat the wood because I like the way it looks and that it keeps them from looking as grubby. I've also stained kens for the same reason however and they don't really benefit from the staining treatment other than color AFAIK.

Here's a Spectraply kendama setup from Sweets for reference.

Jan 24, 2018
  8. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

As it might be as impossible to grab a Kenditioner for some as it is for me (shipping costs more than the product)

I simply use Mineralbased Oils for wooden Kitchencountertops from IKEA.
    It wonn't smell. It won't stick
    BUT
    it will make the grain pop & give the ken a smooth, honed feel
    the laser on the kamo fades extremely fast which is why you can't really see it on the after as I did play it quite a bit after oiling it
    (sorry for the crappy pictures)
    Before
    Snapchat-1255551232.jpg
    After
    IMG_20180125_102450.jpg

Jan 25, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  9. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

@Emil Apostol: @goenKendama nailed the response. I’ve created my own mix of mineral oil and bees wax. You seem to be mindful of your kens, so I would recommend you do it. It’ll be a fun experimentation without much risk. A simple batch will cover lots of kens and several layers. You’ll see after the simplicity of creating your own, you can share the wealth with friends and such.

It wears away from the very surface, but you can expect what made it into the pores will stay at the microscopic level.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Jan 25, 2018
    Emil Apostol and goenKendama like this.
  10. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

resurrecting this thread as I recently shellacked a kendama that I had custom painted.

Shellac is cool because 1. it comes from a freaking bug and 2. you can get it in an aerosol can for even application. I simply spun the tama on a throwaway string and sprayed away with my free hand (using respirator and goggles)

End result was a darker, slightly orange tint, with some nice stickiness. I'll edit this post with a pic later

Mar 6, 2018
  11. goenKendama

If any of you were wondering how various woods look after using a wood finisher on them check out this thread: Shades of Grain Shout out to @Congarranza and @amagad for their recipes listed there as well.

Mar 6, 2018
    Congarranza and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  12. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

^That thread should be its own tab on kendama wiki.

Mar 7, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  13. goenKendama

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You might also find this thread of interest Kendama Comparisons though it needs updating with next gen kendama. It would be great to see a really good wiki about kendama but which one Damapedia.org or Kendama Wiki or some other site?

Mar 7, 2018
  14. BenWunderlich

BenWunderlich Member

Not really diy, but cool. You can pick up something called feed-n-wax from Home Depot or your local Hardware store. It’s only like $10 and a big bottle. The results look pretty great. Conditions the wood and prevents oils from your hands to get on the wood. From what I have read, people recommend it and the “kendition” on the kendama lasts long. I have never tried it so use at your own risk. Pics via u/triggerscold on r/kendama.
    2610B64E-5CB5-491B-B7B0-6316228E2C92.jpeg B0750F8E-D060-48DD-A5F8-C2FCEB91A2F5.jpeg BA04BEC9-9A5A-4C87-B969-58B659FFFAF2.jpeg

Mar 31, 2018
    MacCole999 and goenKendama like this.
  15. MacCole999

MacCole999 Member

Seems super legit
    Seems super legit tho. I’m just trying to find the secret recipie to help my damn lunars ... i just don’t think the cheap kendamas I’m getting are worth a pop or maybe it’s just me ... although the sweets dot burst paints alright

Feb 6, 2020
  16. goenKendama

@MacCole999 as mentioned above check out Shades of Grain for more wood finisher info. Some waxes will make certain woods pretty slick which won't help your lunars at all.

Feb 6, 2020