Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Durability in Kendama woods

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by Giulian Tena, Nov 27, 2016.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Hmm yea I think you're right, I'll move it over

Dec 3, 2016
  2. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

@Ben Lowe

Sharpied cherry ozora tama! fresh and jammed. I also beeswaxed it. Ive done this with a beech tama too. You may get some bleed as Alex says, and some may rub off onto you fingers at first, but that should stop after a while! To get the lines straight I put them on a lathe. IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3653.JPG

Dec 3, 2016
    goenKendama and Almostgets like this.
  3. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Damn is that clean!

Dec 3, 2016
  4. Giulian Tena

Giulian Tena Honed Member

What are any of your guys' opinions on BLK? I checked their website and found exactly what I wanted: natties with eye tracking.

Dec 4, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  5. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

Ash plays amazingly and like maple, has great clack but as there is some grain with many empty spaces in it, the grains tend ti make the ken chip alot. Tats wat happened to my ken
    The grain is sick tho
    Brands like GT makes use of the grain on ash and oak to make their tamas grippy tho

Dec 24, 2016
  6. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

Didnt read through everything so excuse me if im repeating anything but some exotic heavier/denser woods chip as opposed to dent, so the bevel may get a lil messed up, but those same woods make super durable kens IMO. Lighter/less dense woods will be less likely to chip and make for good tamas because they just dent.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Dec 24, 2016
  7. Michael Joseph Reeves

BLK is dope definetly recommend them.

Dec 24, 2016
    Radson likes this.
  8. htimSxelA

@Michael Joseph Reeves you're correct that denser woods usually chip as opposed to dent, but some break this trend and are durable across the board.

For tamas, it's a grain alignment thing. Oak endgrain tama will last forever. Oak sidegrain tama will last a sesh, then have a giant chipped flatspot around the hole.
    I've seen some companies make some VERY questionable products in this regard. If you're buying a natty tama with a wood stripe, make sure it is endgrain around the bevel, or maple around he bevel (maple is softer and doesn't chip as easily). Even endgrain is sometimes iffy... wood doesn't glue as well endgrain-on, and it expands most in the dimension orthogonal to the grain alignment, so you can have ridges develop along the glue joint.

Dec 24, 2016
    DPatten likes this.
  9. Michael Joseph Reeves

Thanks for sharing. Interesting info.. How can you tell where the end grain is?

Dec 25, 2016
  10. htimSxelA

Just by looking at it. If the woodgrain runs top-to-bottom on the tama, it's endgrain around the bevel. If the grain runs horizontally, its side grain.

Dec 25, 2016
    Mafu and Michael Joseph Reeves like this.
  11. DPatten

DPatten Member

some good photos of grain direction for reference with Red Oak as an example:

http://www.wood-database.com/red-oak/

Plus they have lots of data for many wood types if you're curious.

Jan 4, 2017
    Cheech_Sander and htimSxelA like this.
  12. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Feb 28, 2017
  13. Avry K

Avry K Honed Member

Didn't read everything And don't have a beech but the maple is defiantly durable! Also I have a padauk silk from KUSA I swear the thing is indestructible unless you really want to break it or decide to slam it on concrete and rage quit.

Feb 28, 2017
  14. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Do you have experience with Sol Flow Halfsplits?

Mar 21, 2017
  15. htimSxelA

I have one of two of them in my collection. For the most part I can just look at a design and tell you what's up with it though, play testing not necessarily required.

Mar 21, 2017
  16. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Do they have chipping issues around the bevel?

Mar 21, 2017
  17. htimSxelA

@TheWickEffect Which one are you referring to? Aren't there multiple woods and styles available? If you have a pic that'd be best

Mar 21, 2017
  18. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

@htimSxelA Wood around the bevel is oak. It looks like the grain is on an angle. not sure if this is the case for each piece though..

Mar 21, 2017
  19. htimSxelA

@TheWickEffect youre on the right track for sure. Oak endgrain will be durable as hell, side grain will last maybe one sesh though. At an angle like the one pictured, I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all (or at least, one side of the bevel will get destroyed quick).

Like you said, it'll depend on the piece. There very well may be some in the batch they made that are straight sidegrain, and others that are straight endgrain

Mar 21, 2017
  20. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

@htimSxelA Thanks! I may have to go with the solid oak tama and burn tracking stripes if I feel like I want them. I have burned stripes before with good results using your wood burner clamped to a bench beta. I may also try a torch stripe at some point..

Mar 21, 2017