Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Favorite Pro

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by sorrywongnumber, Dec 7, 2016.

1. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

Hands down my favorite pro is Christian Fraser. His play style and personality has inspired me to strive for my best in kendama. Who's your guys favorite pro?

Dec 7, 2016
  2. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

@sorrywongnumber profile pic on point then! haha

C Fraser has been killing it lately, he's def up there for me... tough to pick a fave though.
    Bonz is up there for me, his skills are incredible, that goes without saying, but mostly he's just super creative and innovative. A lot of top pros really hone in on 'their style of trick', Bonz just does it all, its crazy.

Dec 7, 2016
  3. bonerkid

bonerkid Honed Member

Super tough to choose.....

I have like a top 5 of players that inspired me most and it is something like

Zack Yourd
    Eric Martin
    Alex Smith
    Joey Swisher
    Sam Cannon

Dec 8, 2016
    A_Bachman, RWB Mfg and J-Swish like this.
  4. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

I agree @htimSxelA . Watching Bonz perform live is a perfect demonstration of a kendama player who can basically play any style. He will start with some cup flow and birds, move to some insane left handed stuff, throw in swaps and string tricks, blow your mind with some tech that shouldn't be done on stage (aka the Inward Stilt line at JKA festa) and sum it all up with something you have never seen before. (or maybe previously in a video)

Pretty much every "pro" I have met has been incredibly friendly and chill. I really like chilling with Joey Swisher, Javin Knisely and Chad Covington. Some really solid dudes.

Dec 8, 2016
    Chad Covington and J-Swish like this.
  5. damon

damon Slayer

I love everyone, but when it comes to people that blow me away every time I see them play it's gotta be fish. The dudes endurance is unmatched.

Dec 8, 2016
  6. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I think this is an interesting question. I like different pros for different reasons. You have pros that are innovative with their style and do insane tricks like Bonz, you have pros that have influenced the community in massive ways through their companies (Sweets), pros that have been the first to do stuff, even created brand new things (Alex Smith with Terra, Pills, hand-turning, etc), pros that are like the front men or "face" of kendama like Jake Wiens, pros that literally brought other pros into the game like Matt Rice and have far reaching influence but still are kinda behind the scenes.... I can't pick just one as a "favorite."

If you have a whiz kid on kendama that is really good, consistent, high level player but offers little else, should they really be called a pro? Is that elitist? I mean, I guess if they have an influence on the community, and help whatever brand they are sponsored by, it doesn't really matter. I mean, that's up to the company right? Technically a "pro" is just a sponsored player?? Or is a pro someone who is widely recognized as a pro due to skill, previous sponsorship, etc? For instance like someone who is not currently sponsored like @damon? Is CJ Martinez sponsored? Surely he is at pro level. I dunno, I'm rambling at this point.... But I am curious on what other people think.

Dec 8, 2016
  7. cbwalsh24

cbwalsh24 Honed Member

All players mentioned thus far, much deserved their recognition and admiration. I have a few, more low key shredders, who fall under my category as a favorite to watch. In no particular order...

Micah Marsh - Krom rep with mad style and flow, but sadly been AWOL lately

Austin Ring - Sweets focus member / GVKallday / unbelievable creativity and unique style of play with stellar video editing skills

Bryan Hansen - BHC owner and fellow Floridian with some insane technical ability that will really make you wonder

Alex Smith - I know he'll see this, but what an exemplirary player who has tirelessly spread the love of kendama

Dan Robertson - Ex KenCo leader who has mad string skills and was so receptive when I visited their shop

There are many more, but those are guys that have stood out to me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Dec 8, 2016
    ekcenolkraM and Jasper B. like this.
  8. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

Totall
    Totally agree with you! Sorry I should've rephrased my question :p.

Dec 8, 2016
  9. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

No no! Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I personally can't pick a favorite. And then I went on to ramble and just type my stream of consciousness. Good question, I like it!

Dec 8, 2016
    7Cabbages likes this.
  10. Jordan Fox

Jordan Fox Member

Two guys pop into my head right away. Bonz, because he's Bonz. The other would be Max Norcross! I love the dude's style and flow when he has a Kendama in his hands! I also appreciate what he does for Kendama when he's not playing. The Sweets Life is great!

Dec 8, 2016
    htimSxelA likes this.
  11. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

remember pro is short for professional when slang is not being considered. and a professional is someone who gets paid for what they do whereas an amateur does it for free. Thats why contests like grip have a "pro" and an "amateur" division. so a kendama professional would technically be someone who gets paid (from sale of their promod for example) or someone who gets free setups. At least that's how I've always understood it.
    Read more at http://www.downspike.com/threads/favorite-pro.523/#cScmyGEAwziu9SGk.99

Dec 8, 2016
  12. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

You're oversimplifying this. I'm trying to broaden the conversation and more or less point out the the word "pro" has a lot to do with context. When speaking about "pro" vs "amateur" for a contest, that is the equivalent of saying "sponsored" vs. "not sponsored." But in another context, my argument is that someone is still a pro even if they aren't sponsored. For example, when Fischer left Kendama Co, but before he was announced for Krom, was he not a pro? Suddenly he's an amateur? I think he was definitely still a pro, but he was also an unsponsored player for a time. See how that changes the meaning a bit? So I was bringing it up in the reverse situation as well. Make sense?

Dec 8, 2016
  13. Alexander Hansen

Alexander Hansen n00b

I know a top 6 is kinda weird, but I had to call these players!

1. Mathias Steen
    2. Alex Smith
    3. Thorkild May
    4. Yumi Nakamura
    5. Rodney Ansell
    6. Micha Logan

Dec 9, 2016
  14. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

that makes sense, I think when slang is involved a pro is someone who is really good but in a thread where people ask favorite pro
    is they mean sponsored players. Not trying to start any shit, just putting in my two cents.

Dec 9, 2016
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  15. Giulian Tena

Giulian Tena Honed Member

Zack Yourd
    Chris June
    Cooper Eddy
    Alex Smith

Dec 10, 2016
  16. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

bonz, cooper eddy, thorkild may, rodney ansell and stodd