Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Filming strategies?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Kelsey Dunn, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Kelsey Dunn

Kelsey Dunn n00b

When I film, I usually try to go in and just play. I might have two or three tricks in mind or sometimes I might be grinding really hard on one combo or trick I have had in mind. What do you guys do? I feel if I go in with a plan or a grind I don't lace... ha

Dec 22, 2016
    Clayk27 and earthgirl420 like this.
  2. fiddletrix

fiddletrix Member

A lot of my time filming kendama I'll have a trick in mind and grind it for (sometimes) hours on end. I feel doing this does push you and you obviously get a massive sense of relief at the end. But it does take its tole on your dama massively.

I've been advised recently to just put a camera down and jam and see what happens aha

Good luck!

Dec 22, 2016
    Clayk27 and Kelsey Dunn like this.
  3. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

good post, although it's important to talk about film-ER strategies.

Tripod edits are fine but it's way more visually interesting if you've got somebody there to film you, change the angle, move with the trick, follow the kendama, and if possible dolly in even if it's on a skateboard.

Also STORY is king, this doesn't mean you need a full on screenplay but you should have a general idea of what the edit is trying to say

Dec 22, 2016
  4. Kelsey Dunn

Kelsey Dunn n00b

I agree completely! I like edits with variety... a couple of tripod shots, really good shots of someone filming and tracking your tricks, and maybe even a POV GoPro shot in there. An edit with just one going on isn't very visually interesting.

Dec 22, 2016
  5. fiddletrix

fiddletrix Member

People who have someone to film them should be extremely greatful in my opinion。

Dec 22, 2016
  6. Zack Gallagher

Zack Gallagher Member

I hate filming tricks, it's so exhausting and I just like seshing more.....but having nick so we can film each other def helps.
    My advice to people who are gonna film a trick is only film it if you know you can hit it....I think that's what Sweets had always said and I'm still trying to do that cause I find myself trying to film tricks I'm not sure I can hit and it ends up being a waste of time and energy

Dec 22, 2016
    Kelsey Dunn, fiddletrix and Dwesty like this.
  7. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

I don't have anybody to help me film so all my shots are tripod shots :/

Dec 22, 2016
    Kelsey Dunn and fiddletrix like this.
  8. Clayk27

Clayk27 Member

I usually have a few tricks in mind before I go out and film and sometimes I come up with different tricks along the way!

Dec 22, 2016
    Kelsey Dunn likes this.
  9. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I usually only film when I have a specific trick or combo in mind. I'm the same way; sometimes I go in and don't lace, but sometimes I do.

Definitely agree about the camera angle switch ups. The story aspect is also something that I have come to learn is super important. Mr. Wiens sometimes talks about kendama edits and he has mentioned how important story is, even if it's something as simple as his slip stick edit concept. Always remember that since I'm a fan of his videos

Dec 22, 2016
  10. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

When I bust out the tripod I usually have something very specific in mind. However when I'm doing GoPro POV stuff, I just sesh like I wasn't wearing it, and use the stuff that I like. If I don't get anything good, oh well. I might try for a specific trick, but I'll quickly switch to something else if inspiration strikes or I'm just up against a wall and its not productive to really grind it out.

To me, this is everything. Especially because almost all my video is for Youtube and longer format. My instagram clips usually are spin-offs of larger works, and I don't feel good enough yet to just post a single "banger" on insta anyway. For me its all about the journey and progress, and how to share that with others. Sometimes I have to very thoughtfully set that up (for instance getting a tripod + POV shot for my first double lunar flip), but most of the time it comes from the editing of the clips afterwards. Telling a story means you can make something (hopefully) interesting even if you're not the best kendama player yet. That's what I shoot for at least.

Dec 22, 2016
  11. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Gopro on the ground 30 feet away, time your spike with the dubstep drop!

...wait. Sorry I forgot its not 2013 anymore. Crap!
    ;)

Dec 23, 2016
    mic66, 96817dama and Rob like this.
  12. 96817dama

96817dama Member

Lol @htimSxelA.

Anyways trying to decide if a gopro would be good bc I do agree with Ben that u can just sesh and post or use whatever u get, and I like not worrying about if I'm in frame. I think a gopro would suit me for that, as long as I'm not doing crazy spacewalk behind the back tricks like roddama (which may never ever happen)

But I would like to know if anyone has any opinions on the setup entirely, is it noticeable enough to throw off your game? Also I do feel like wearing a gopro on my head in public will most likely look funky :D

Jun 6, 2019