Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Foreigners Guide to JKA exam and Dama Travels to Japan in General

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Vincent Dimaya, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

In March I will be traveling to Kyoto, Japan to study abroad for five months. While I am there I would like to receive official rankings from the JKA and compete in JKA competitions, as well as interact with the Japanese kendama community in Osaka and all over.

To all native Japanese players and whoever else knows, I would ask if you could help me and anybody else who aspires to travel to Japan in making a comprehensive guide for playing kendama in Japan.

Questions I would like compiled would include

1. Locations of developed kendama communities and stores
    2. Information on the JKA, such as JKA kendama regulations (brands, string length, etc.), locations to go to, and how to apply for competitions
    3. More explanation on what is needed for the JKA exam, especially the exceptions made for international players to say test into higher dans earlier.
    4. Where kendama players are allowed to play in public, and where you will be kicked out (happens sometimes in the US)
    5. How to approach planning a trip to the Kendama World Cup (this may be a question for the non Japanese players who have went)
    6. Any other useful information about slaying in the homeland, like basic etiquette and dama slang (YABAI!)

I know the JKA website has an english page, we can pull from that to make this complete guide. Also I would prefer this guide be made in English, then translated if need be.

I hope that we can compile a guide that helps all international players! I know this is a tall order, but I would appreciate the guidance, and I am sure anybody else who uses it would as well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Jan 12, 2017
  2. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

3. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

You can find kendamas in all sorts of shops and markets. Hit some tourist-y areas and you'll find some Shin Fujis or similar at the least.
    I'm not sure if there are any full-dama shops in Osaka. If you want to meet some players you'll likely have to search them out on instagram or some other social media. Maybe someone in here can get you a more direct contact.
    In Hatsukaichi there is a kendama shop. Satoru Akimoto manages one, but I think it is up north somewhere. In Tokyo you can check out Decade 430, its on the edge of Shibuya district. Cool spot for sure!

2. Information on the JKA, such as JKA kendama regulations (brands, string length, etc.), locations to go to, and how to apply for competitions
    For most competitions, you need to be a JKA member to compete. You need to use a JKA approved seal kendama, minimum string length 38 cm. You'll likely have to google translate some Japanese sites to find more specific info. Maybe @maxdesu can point you in the right direction.

3. More explanation on what is needed for the JKA exam, especially the exceptions made for international players to say test into higher dans earlier.
    The rules for taking the dan test as a foreigner seem to be always changing, if you want to take the exam you'll need to find someone who is a JKA examiner (there isn't necessarily an exact time/date for testing, you just need to find someone willing). You need to pass the Kyu exam first, though the only tough part of that is the moshikame (minimum 100 I think? and then first dan is minimum 200 if I remember correct. You get ONE try).
    Worth noting: in recent years, the JKA will not give you a certificate unless you pay membership dues. They are NOT cheap, and as a foreigner, you get basically zero of the benefits a normal member would receive. Rod passed his 4th dan test, but to get the legit certificate he would have had to pay like $400+, soo...

4. Where kendama players are allowed to play in public, and where you will be kicked out (happens sometimes in the US)
    I wouldn't worry about this too much, just play some kendama. If someone asks you to stop, its probably worth respecting.
    Just use your head. Don't chuck spacewalks around inside nice places / temples, etc.

5. How to approach planning a trip to the Kendama World Cup (this may be a question for the non Japanese players who have went)
    GLOKEN makes KWC super accessible, and usually very nicely priced as well, as far as travelling in Japan goes. They'll release info as they have it, just keep an eye on their social media / website.

6. Any other useful information about slaying in the homeland, like basic etiquette and dama slang (YABAI!)
    Just be a normal, self-aware human being and you'll do fine I'm sure.

Jan 12, 2017
    BLEGAN and sambarboo like this.
  4. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

The JKA English page explains the Kyu levels, Jun Shodan level, and Dan levels with videos for each trick and a chart showing the tricks required for each level and the number of times you need to complete it successfully.

If the JKA is having an event in the area you will visit during the time you are there that would probably be the easiest place/way to take level tests. IIRC only 1 examiner is required Kyu levels through 4-Dan but 5-Dan requires 3 examiners and 6-Dan has 5 examiners.

If you get a Japan Rail Pass for your trip you could catch a Shinkansen (bullet train) up to Tokyo or elsewhere free. (edit: I'm not sure what visa types are allowed to get the pass; tourist for sure but student???)

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo and htimSxelA like this.
  5. htimSxelA

The Japan Rail Pass is awesome! I should have thought to mention it. If you plan on travelling between a few different cities, it is definitely worth looking into.

Probably worth noting: that page has a section that lists benefits for JKA members. As far as I know, they do not ship the newsletter internationally, and the same goes for getting the new products / discounts that (I believe) are listed in the newsletter. So the main thing you get as a foreigner is the ability to attend and compete in contests, as well as attempt the certification exams (though, if you pass the exam, I believe each dan level has it's own fee as well).
    @Supernog73 may have some better info on this, I'm fairly sure he has a JKA membership.

Jan 12, 2017
  6. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Do you think I could still get the newsletter and the products since im there for 5 months? Ill have a Japanese address.

Side question: I'm a sales rep for Yumu kendama and would like to continue representing them by bringing over small quantities of product. @htimSxelA given your experience with traveling there and bringing product over, is there any laws or anything I should know about small scale business? Especially since I am not employed by them officially.

Jan 12, 2017
  7. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Vincent, i'm in the process of making a thread about this, hoping the mods could sticky it up.

Wait for it!

Jan 12, 2017
    Vincent Dimaya likes this.
  8. htimSxelA

If you have a Japanese address you can probably get the newsletter, it says they publish 5x a year, so you can probably get 2-3 issues if the timing works out right.

As for importing product to sell, most countries won't allow it unless you have a work visa or something of the sort. I would be careful if you're on a student visa, I've never travelled on one, but from my understanding of it, many countries are strict about what you can and can't do on a student visa. I'm sure the last thing you want is to get deported :p
    With Terra stuff, we usually work with GLOKEN or another Japanese company, and they must pay import duties to bring in foreign product (I think its in the range of 8-10% for kendamas? I don't remember exactly).

Jan 12, 2017
  9. goenKendama

The newsletter is currently in Japanese only and I don't think they sell/ship kendama overseas yet. There is a fee for each Dan level test though each level is a different cost. Also depending on the level you're trying to pass there can be a significant wait before you are able to test again should you not pass.

Jan 12, 2017
  10. htimSxelA

True, though I have seen them waive the wait time for foreigners in the past. When I received my 3rd Dan I passed the kyu test on the last day of July, and then they decided that the foreigners could test for a Dan rank in August (the next day), even though it wasn't a proper full month waiting period.
    I imagine this is not the usual routine though, so don't be surprised if you have to wait until you retest!

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  11. connor sullivan

connor sullivan Member

I've taken some JKA tests, so I may know a little about the dama regulations.

For damas you can only use ones with the ozora seal on it, excluding Shin Fuji now. I believe they also accept old ken co's as well. You can't have a string longer than roughly 3-4 fingers as well.

That's all I really know haha

Jan 12, 2017
  12. htimSxelA

Where did you take the JKA test?
    Any kendama with a JKA approved seal is okay. Mugen, Shin Sakura, Shin Fuji, Ozora, TK16 (but not the fat TKshape, apparently). I do wonder if you can use outdated models (Fuji, Sakura)? There is not a max string length as far as I know, only a minimum
    Old KenCo's are definitely not allowed for JKA contests or testing! haha

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  13. goenKendama

To my knowledge this isn't correct. With the exception of the "Mutant" TK16s with a seal all previously certified JKA kendama are still considered certified. There is only a recommended string length not a "rule." Though it might be possible I've never seen/heard of a non-Japan company kendama certified for Dan-level testing so I'm pretty sure the KenCos were not.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  14. connor sullivan

connor sullivan Member

A guy came down to San Diego Gunnzo store named Imada Hiromu. He allowed the use of the original paint stripe kenco's when I took my 3rd dan test, and he wouldn't allow my friend to use his 4 1/2 string kendama unless he shortened it. And I thought you weren't allowed to use Shin Fuji's anymore, same with TK-16 since they were discontinued? But hey maybe I was wrong.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  15. goenKendama

I remember reading about that visit. There appear to be some discrepancies between the way that event was handled and my understanding of the rules. However I corresponded with the JKA about the older certified kendama being ok and they said, at that time, that they were.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  16. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Can you please elaborate to me what the Mutant TK-16s are? I received a pack of kendamas for Christmas that included 5 TK-16s and 3 Roku Shin Fujis (red, blue, and purple). I want to know if any of these Japanese Damas are actually usable on the test. I do have an older TK thats thinner, but the new ones have beefy shapes, so im worried thats the mutant you are referring to.

Also what is the JKA's position on varied strings (material or brand), and are "spinner" bearing beads permissible?

Edit: Oh and also switching out tamas and kens in setups, even if they are the same approved brand.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  17. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Thanks man! I'll be sure to wait for it! In the meantime I think you should continue following this thread since more questions seem to be coming out of it.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  18. goenKendama

@Vincent Dimaya Here's a post about the Mutants. The Rokurosen Shinfujis are cool but I don't recall if they have the seal that means it's OK for Dan level tests or not; for sure they are good through Jun Shodan. (Edit: from what I understand the kendama should be "stock" unmodified kendama. Sometimes you see Ozora that are stained or painted by a third party but still have the JKA seal, those are no longer approved.)

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  19. htimSxelA

Crazy! Was he acting as an official JKA examiner, or just allowing people to test for fun? Either way, that is definitely not the usual rules.

I would imagine any 'normal' sort of string would be okay (ie, string that 'looks and acts' like the string you would find on a JKA dama). If you put a bright blue silk string on a TK16, I would guess that most examiners would not allow it.

As for bearing beads, I'm really not sure. I would guess they are technically not allowed... but I could be wrong. Many of the JKA's rules were written in a time when only a few, certified brands existed, so they probably don't explicitly account for things like that.

As for swapping kens/ tamas... I'm really not sure. I would guess that isn't technically allowed, the whole standardization thing is likely aimed at having contestants use 'stock' kendamas.

Some very old rokurosen's have the approved seal (they were produced 4-5+ years ago), but it seems all the newer models just have the 'recommended' seal. If you search through the JKA thread there are some example photos of them that I posted

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  20. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

We need to start that podcast.. I don't want to type all of this out.. haha

I'll start from the top and make my way down when I have time.

There are loads of Kendama communities based in Osaka, not so much Kyoto that I can think of off the top of my head. It's all real close together so everyone travels around to play dama.
    My favorite circles are:
    Cosmopolitan - Managed by Morishin - (IG: @morishin.kendama ). I don't know if they have a normal play area but they're cool. They're also hosting an event called Cosmo Knight at "The BAR" which is a bar that sometimes holds kendama events.
    RKC - Ryotaro Kendama Club - Managed by a guy named Ryotaro (IG: @rkc_tarou ). They play at Takatsuki Station.
    Charinrunya - an Izakaya where the owner plays Kendama. It's in Mito Osaka. You might have seen it in pictures, a lot of the Kendama players from overseas go there.

You're gonna be there starting March? I can't think of too many comps off the top of my head but Kendama Festa in July comes to mind. There are a lot of Kendama Dojos around where you can take classes and possibly test.

With the recent influx in international players and their desire to get certified for Dan, JKA is putting a lot of effort into revamping the Dan system for foreign players. The JKA is divided in opinion regarding international players so there is still a lot of debate on what they want to do for dan certification.

As of right now: Foreign players can test as high as they want, at any time. They first start with Moshikame and Speed Trick B, and depending on what threshold you clear, you test. If you can clear 45 seconds and 1000 moshis, you can test 6th dan right away. You start at the bottom and go as high as possible. Of course, if you want to become a member, you have to pay. $400 for 4th dan sounds about right, if you want the certificate. If you don't want the certificate, you don't have to pay anything. (Some places take money to test, in order to help fund their Kendama activities (fund dojos, hold events.. etc)

Alex's advice sounds about right. Public spaces are considered to be .. well.. public. It's everyone's space and if anyone feels uncomfortable with you doing something, you should stop. Be respectful and use your head.

Again, Alex got it here. You'll figure it out.

bring deodorant. we don't sell it here. I like to use toothpaste and toothbrushes from back home. conbini coffee is life.

Jan 12, 2017
    sambarboo and MJ Brother like this.