Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Frankendamas vs Straight Setups

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by KeeganS, Aug 10, 2017.

1. KeeganS

KeeganS Slayer

A little terminology definition for people unfamiliar with the topic.

Straight Setups - from straight build in gunpla (gundam model kits) building. The setup is exactly how it originally came from in the box (barring string and bead/bearing). The cups, tama, and sword have not been switched out for replacements from other setups/brands.

Frankendama - kendama made up of a ken and tama both from different setups and/or companies/brands (sword and cups may/may not be the original setup).

image.jpg

So here's the question. What do you guys prefer with your kendama setups? Mix and matching to make a totally unique setup or keeping it as is out of the box?

Both are fine with me, but I find myself more often than not mixing and matching kens and tamas into more unique setups that (as far as I know) no one else has/seen. It's one of the things outside customizing (burning, painting) or wood turning kendamas yourself that really makes the kendama yours.
    It gets even cooler when you see other people making the same/similar setups as you (whether on coincidence or being inspired by your setups).

Aug 10, 2017
    KendamaJas and Sir Spike like this.
  2. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Screenshot_2017-08-10-23-13-11.png I like changing tamas for better design, better weight match and also I match great tama with a great ken. One time I switch sarado but from one sweets prime to another to make one better lunar balanced. Also about frankendama, kendama.cz has the option on thwir site called frankendama where you can choose tama, ken, string and even the weights!

Aug 10, 2017
    Dan Reinstein likes this.
  3. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I mix and match if a ken is good for lunars and a tama is good for lunars. Same for stalls and sometimes weight (I don't have a scale). But yeah, I love that sometimes nobody else has it.

Aug 10, 2017
  4. goenKendama

goenKendama Moderator Staff Member

I'm more likely to tweak a stock setup since I like to do stalls and swapping tama and ken between brands (or even different models) doesn't always have a good mate between the tama bevel and stall locations.

Aug 11, 2017
    Sir Spike likes this.
  5. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Here are the mutt setups of mixed companies with two hybrid sweets on sweets to the right.

IMG_0383.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Aug 14, 2017
    TheWickEffect and KendamaJas like this.
  6. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Honed Member

Hey guys,

First off, im not sure if there are existing thread that talked about specifically mixed set-up kendamas. If this is the first, then this is the catch...

Currently or way before, what were your mixed setups??? Now collabs doesn't count as a mix & match. So any sweets painted damas collabs with other brands like kusa,terra,krom,etc. is not include cause it's in their own respective shapes.

My recent mix set ups were:
    Yumu rubber pink X tk16 jka
    Kaizen merlot X ozora (turns out it's not that much good of a set up for me especially if the tama was already been worn out & ken is too dense it chipped XD)

Oct 2, 2017
    KendamaJas likes this.
  7. KeeganS

KeeganS Slayer

Oct 2, 2017
  8. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Honed Member

@KeeganS yo thanks for noticing. really need to keep myself updated on DS im quite busy lately that i didn't know some of the stuff here XD anyways really appreciate it dude :)

Oct 2, 2017
    KendamaJas likes this.
  9. KeeganS

KeeganS Slayer

Put my Mugen Musou cups on a beech Ozora ken. Plays amazingly great. With a Cooks custom Kaizen tama. image.jpg

Oct 6, 2017