Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Frankendamas vs Straight Setups

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by KeeganS, Aug 10, 2017.

1. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

A little terminology definition for people unfamiliar with the topic.

Straight Setups - from straight build in gunpla (gundam model kits) building. The setup is exactly how it originally came from in the box (barring string and bead/bearing). The cups, tama, and sword have not been switched out for replacements from other setups/brands.

Frankendama - kendama made up of a ken and tama both from different setups and/or companies/brands (sword and cups may/may not be the original setup).

image.jpg

So here's the question. What do you guys prefer with your kendama setups? Mix and matching to make a totally unique setup or keeping it as is out of the box?

Both are fine with me, but I find myself more often than not mixing and matching kens and tamas into more unique setups that (as far as I know) no one else has/seen. It's one of the things outside customizing (burning, painting) or wood turning kendamas yourself that really makes the kendama yours.
    It gets even cooler when you see other people making the same/similar setups as you (whether on coincidence or being inspired by your setups).

Aug 10, 2017
    damadumb, Jewbacca, Jedi_man and 3 others like this.
  2. Gasiek

Gasiek Slayer

Screenshot_2017-08-10-23-13-11.png I like changing tamas for better design, better weight match and also I match great tama with a great ken. One time I switch sarado but from one sweets prime to another to make one better lunar balanced. Also about frankendama, kendama.cz has the option on thwir site called frankendama where you can choose tama, ken, string and even the weights!

Aug 10, 2017
    Jedi_man, sambarboo and Dan Reinstein like this.
  3. Eric H

Eric H Honed Member

I mix and match if a ken is good for lunars and a tama is good for lunars. Same for stalls and sometimes weight (I don't have a scale). But yeah, I love that sometimes nobody else has it.

Aug 10, 2017
  4. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I'm more likely to tweak a stock setup since I like to do stalls and swapping tama and ken between brands (or even different models) doesn't always have a good mate between the tama bevel and stall locations.

Aug 11, 2017
    sambarboo and Sir Spike like this.
  5. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Here are the mutt setups of mixed companies with two hybrid sweets on sweets to the right.

IMG_0383.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Aug 14, 2017
  6. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

Hey guys,

First off, im not sure if there are existing thread that talked about specifically mixed set-up kendamas. If this is the first, then this is the catch...

Currently or way before, what were your mixed setups??? Now collabs doesn't count as a mix & match. So any sweets painted damas collabs with other brands like kusa,terra,krom,etc. is not include cause it's in their own respective shapes.

My recent mix set ups were:
    Yumu rubber pink X tk16 jka
    Kaizen merlot X ozora (turns out it's not that much good of a set up for me especially if the tama was already been worn out & ken is too dense it chipped XD)

Oct 2, 2017
    Jasper B. likes this.
  7. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Oct 2, 2017
  8. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

@KeeganS yo thanks for noticing. really need to keep myself updated on DS im quite busy lately that i didn't know some of the stuff here XD anyways really appreciate it dude :)

Oct 2, 2017
    Jasper B. likes this.
  9. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Put my Mugen Musou cups on a beech Ozora ken. Plays amazingly great. With a Cooks custom Kaizen tama. image.jpg

Oct 6, 2017
  10. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Can't take a picture right now so I'll try to describe my two most successful setups.

1. TK-16 ken x Blue and Yellow rubber Half Split tama from PhilKen, a local company
    • Made this setup cause the stock setup of the half split had a problem with weight; the ken and the tama had a 20 gram difference, with the tama being 80+ grams. Not wanting to waste such a honed tama, I put it on a TK-16 ken and I've never looked back since.
    2. KROM bamboo ken x Sweets Prime Solid Green tama
    • I thought I would never take apart my KROM bamboo. If you rummage through this thread and see my post, at the time, my KROM bamboo was the most honed straight setup in my collection. However, due to wear and tear, and probably because I drenched the tama in sweat, the bevel developed a warp. This warp made it impossible for me to do Lunars and Lighthouses on the bevel as the ken would just tip over. Not wanting to waste the ken, I put a Prime Solid Green tama on it. Still putting it through its paces but it seems playable enough.
    P.S. Forgot to include a third setup I'm currently using right now.

3. Ozora Premium ken x PhilKen Ash Tama
    • Self-explanatory. Also, made this setup because the premium ozora tama was beginning to lose its tack.

Oct 17, 2017
    damadumb likes this.
  11. Con man

Con man Honed Member

So I love to frakendama I even go to the extent of drilling out the basecup on some and definitely painting this is my sweets v11spike (I drilled out base cup about 1 inch x v15 sarado and a self painted sweets prime radar tama

Attached Files:

Oct 19, 2018
    Jedi_man, Rutland and goenKendama like this.
  12. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Personally, I like stock setups. I mashup my damas for 2 reasons:
    1. Performance
      • If the weights are to my liking (dead on, to tama heavy) or vice-versa
      • If the ken and the tama complement each other (e.g. extremely sticky paint for a ken with Bad Lunar Balance)
    2. When I'm broke
      • Every now and then, I mash up a ken and tama from my collection to be able to experience a new kind of play when my wallet is empty and I can't afford a new dama to play with
    P.S. I never go full frankendama to the extent that I drill base cup holes or paint my own tamas. Aside from not having the tools or knowledge to do so, I like to experience the kendama the way the manufacturer intended it (especially JKA damas).

Oct 28, 2018
    KeeganS, damadumb and Jedi_man like this.
  13. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

I love to switch & swap.
    I have 2 kens in ny collection that aren't custom (sol flow cause of the size & gt e1 cause i don't have a matching weight)

Oct 29, 2018
  14. Kendama London

Kendama London Member

I can't explain why, but I prefer to keep my Kendama's with their original parts, apart from string.

I've always tried switching kens and tamas around, trying to find the perfect weight match, or putting my new favourite ken with a faithful honed tama. But I eventually put originals back together again, even if they're harder to play!

I'm not OCD or anything, but I kinda like that kendama is played how it was made to be played. :confused:

Nov 6, 2018
    damadumb, Cheech_Sander and Jewbacca like this.
  15. Jewbacca

Jewbacca Honed Member

The craziest I get with the frankendama is switching the Tamas and maybe the strings. When people do the different sarados and spikes it make me Cringe. Aesthetically doesn’t look good to me Sorry not sorry

Nov 6, 2018
  16. FDkendama22

FDkendama22 Member

I always have a vision for frankendama-ing, I never just set something up because I’m bored. (Don’t mix a Zach Yourd tama with a pink string.)

Dec 1, 2018
  17. Dantama

Dantama Honed Member

I love frankendamas <3

Dec 3, 2018
  18. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Put my Dave mod 2.0 cups on my first run maple craft 2.0 sword with a KUSA Tribute super stick tama. One of my favorite setups

84156189-B0FA-4AAC-9373-AA68C98754F7.jpeg

Dec 3, 2018
    damadumb, nimron13 and Jedi_man like this.
  19. nimron13

nimron13 Member

That is a beauty
    I personally love to switch setups around

Dec 3, 2018