Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Gt-E1 vs Prime

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Ion_dama, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Which do you think is better, the GT-E1 or the Prime?

1. GT-E1

2. Prime

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ion_dama

Ion_dama Honed Member

I’m torn between which dama I should get between these two. I have 3 primes and I’m just unsure if I would like the E1 because I’ve never tried one and I don’t know if I would like the shape/feel. If anyone has any helpful insight that would be much appreciated.

Jun 12, 2018
  2. CodyGriz

CodyGriz Slayer

I would always say to go with a Prime especially if you already like the shape and paint.

but...

you should also explore new shapes, paints, and companies. GT is a great brand that gives back to the community always. so in this case I would say try something new and go with the E1

Jun 12, 2018
  3. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

The e is an amazing kendama, but I think the E1 feels better, and plays much nicer. The stalls lock it, lunar like a dream, and feel amazing doing juggles and kenflips. The paint is nice too! The next batch of GT-E1s are friday. New colors!

Jun 12, 2018
    Ion_dama likes this.
  4. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

Primes are very fun to play but I prefer my maple E1. can't get tricks as hard as on my prime/new gen shapes but the E1 plays insanely clean and I always choose it over others for flow lines

Jun 13, 2018
    Ion_dama likes this.
  5. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Personal bias aside, I agree with Cody.
    You already have 3 primes, why get another when you could try something else from an awesome company?

As for the shape, I think it's pretty good for juggles because the swoop fits nicely in your hand. The paint is also pretty similar (it's basically the same thing) to the prime paint, so the ken would just be something to get used to really. But all in all, I think the E1 would be a good choice. And if it isn't, you could always trade with someone for a prime haha

Jun 13, 2018
    Ion_dama and htimSxelA like this.
  6. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

whyyy not both? ;)

Jun 13, 2018
    Ghost Fox and Ion_dama like this.
  7. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

My point exactly. But honestly I am in the Prime boat more so than the E1. If you cop a zebrano ken or an ash ken and slap a KUSA silk on it..."Watch out here I come!"

Silk goes so well with an ash prime it is scary.

Jun 14, 2018
  8. Ghost Fox

Ghost Fox n00b

actually i really really love the E1s i have 3. only one prime though. My favorites are the musou but honestly the walnut e1 plays just as good. Im still pretty beginner level so i dont know how valid my opinion may be but i really find the GT E1s to be awesome kendamas. (have a Ben Herald librarian too so i maybe a little biased )

Jun 16, 2018
    Thomas likes this.
  9. Thomas

Thomas n00b

E1s are great. For me, they are the crossroads between JKA and newschool big cup. Having never played a GT1, I feel like the E1s have the feel of a JKA but are more forgiving.

Jun 25, 2018
    Stuart Barron and AN_TY like this.
  10. Broc Stauffer

Broc Stauffer Honed Member

Every next gen player that I’ve talked to and myself included don’t really like the e1s. The lunar balance is not very good on them and tends to have short spikes. Anyone else get the same vibe?

Jun 25, 2018
    Aaron Gallegos likes this.
  11. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

I can see what you mean about the lunars and it def has a shorter spike out of the box than the Prime's. But I freaking love the grip it has and the slip stop. It feels like it molds to my hands. I would love to try more woods other than maple and walnut though.

As a player who started out on JKA damas, it def has an ode to that feel and plays in similar ways. Maybe thats why I like it. But there is something about how the Prime's play that is just zen like. I feel like I can command it more...if that even makes sense lol.

Jun 25, 2018
    Stuart Barron and Broc Stauffer like this.
  12. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Without even reading your comment before I wrote mine, THAT IS EXACTLY HOW I WOULD PUT IT. "I feel like the E1s have the feel of a JKA but are more forgiving."

Jun 25, 2018
    Ion_dama and Stuart Barron like this.
  13. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

Yeah I'd go with this. The GT1, E1, Stodd and Kaizen 2.0 all have those slightly bigger than JKA but not Next Gen cup sizes. I love my Willy P Prime for a some quick thrills but I always feel I've achieved more when I nail a line on my GTE1, Stodd or Kaizen 2.0.

As for short spikes I think its better short than too long. Ive seen Primes and Pops with short spikes so I think any mass produced 'dama you've gotta take the ruff with the smooth. Same goes for lune balance too.

Jun 26, 2018
    Nick Lectura, Jacob Hurlock and AN_TY like this.
  14. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Jun 26, 2018
    Jacob Hurlock likes this.
  15. Jacob Hurlock

Jacob Hurlock n00b

I have 2 primes, and got an e1 for the first time last week. I always felt prime cups were just a bit too big. The e1 cups are not too big, and is just super well balanced. Highly recommend it

Jun 26, 2018
    Stuart Barron likes this.
  16. Jacob Hurlock

Jacob Hurlock n00b

I Feel exactly the same, primes always were kind of a crutch

Jun 26, 2018
    Stuart Barron likes this.
  17. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Wow classic GT release... Librarian GT1.5 sold out in 2 min. Fortunate to snag one!

Jun 29, 2018
    Ion_dama likes this.
  18. Ion_dama

Ion_dama Honed Member

That’s epic

Jun 29, 2018
    AN_TY likes this.
  19. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

It’s such a gorgeous dama! The green is what got me. And who doesn’t love spectraply?!

Jun 29, 2018