Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Help with Lunars and trick/line ideas I should be working on?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SouthsideKendama, Mar 8, 2019.

1. SouthsideKendama

SouthsideKendama n00b

A couple months ago I finally got a decent kendama, a Sweets Prime Dot Burst from Target, and then a couple weeks ago, a Zack Gallagher pro mod. Upon getting each of these, I noticed a pretty significant improvement in my capabilities. For example, I had been trying for maybe a couple weeks to stick a lighthouse flip on the Dot Burst, then I got the Zack mod and finally stuck one within my first several attempts. I am able to catch lighthouse nearly every try by now, but I cannot lunar to save my life!! I could use some pointers. I'm curious as to what I should start trying next, and also how to piece together a line? Here are tge tricks Ive been working on lately. Most of them take me at least a few tries except the stall I am able to at least stick every time if not all the way in.

Ken flip (might take me a minute but I've landed several)
    Earthturn
    Lighthouse
    Lighthouse flip (again, landed several but takes quite a few attempts
    Bird (doesnt take me near as long, but a just a few attempts)
    Underbird-earth turn
    Moshikame
    Slip on stick
    Downspike
    Hanging spike
    Spacewalk (caught my first one yesterday first T out of nowhere. I try this occasionally, but never grinded too hard trying to learn it. I might start trying it more now.)

I've recently been repping for Sweets, and would like to improve for the sake of demonstration. Id like to be able to do more that night entice someone new to kendama when they see it. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2019
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Just my 2 cents, get more consistent with what you know before worrying too much about trick lines/flow and a bunch of new tricks. A great way to work on the patience and consistency aspects is Moshikame, yes I know you can do it but how many 20, 50, 100, 1000?

For lunar info the forum Search feature turns up a bunch of info:
    1-up lunar
    Lunar/Lighthouse to inward lunar tips?
    Calling all lunar experts
    Lunar Backflips
    What is a lunar?
    First lunar. . .almost

Videos
    Lunar Kendama Tutorial (Updated)
    Lunar/inward lunar backflip kendama tutorial

For starting trick lists check the BKA (British Kendama Association) and 100 tricks here. (from this thread: Master kendama trick list)

Mar 8, 2019
  3. SouthsideKendama

SouthsideKendama n00b

Thanks a lot for the info. Quick question; when counting moshikame, are we counting each motion to be one, or big+base=one?

Mar 8, 2019
  4. goenKendama

For the JKA testing you put the tama in the big cup then each catch thereafter is a count of one (base cup=1 + big cup=1 + base cup=1. . . . ). Also you can do it stringless which really helps on the long runs.

Here's a thread for you: Moshikame a beginner must.

Mar 8, 2019
  5. SouthsideKendama

SouthsideKendama n00b

That first lunar video tutorial you sent helped me a lot! Ive already landed a few just in my first set of attempts. I was just doing it all wrong before, the first person view in the video helped me tremendously. Thanks a lot!

Mar 10, 2019
    goenKendama likes this.
  6. goenKendama

Mar 11, 2019