Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

How to take nice photos of damas

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Jun. I, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Recently I'm having a little thing with photos of damas, if done right I think they look absolutely amazing. The problem is, none of mine turn out nice. It might be because I don't have a nice camera but it's probably more skill because I've seen some amazing photos taken with bad cameras. So I just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips to take nice shots.

Nov 25, 2016
  2. Giulian Tena

Giulian Tena Honed Member

Just take the pic with good lighting, and a nice background. And for fun put something around the kendama to make it look nicer.
    For example: I had a purple striped zen and I took a picture of it(fresh out the box) on my lawn with purple flowers around it. It's such a nice pic. Check it out on Instagram @gi.ulian

Nov 25, 2016
    RyanArthurWalker and bonerkid like this.
  3. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/40igH-AzyG/?taken-by=gi.ulian&hl=en noice pic

Nov 25, 2016
    RyanArthurWalker likes this.
  4. Joel Clayton

make sure you have a really good camera. I like to take dama photos with really nice scenery in the background. its fall right now so you could do something with leaves maybe? I recommend looking at other photos that look nice and try what they do. hope this helps

Nov 25, 2016
    RyanArthurWalker likes this.
  5. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Having a nice camera isn't the whole picture. As a professional photographer myself, I know other photographers who consider an insult when someone comes up and says, wow awesome photo, that must be a really nice (or expensive) camera. This happens all the time actually. For me I just brush it off, but to relate it to Kendama... that's like someone saying, dang that was such an awesome kendama trick, that must be a really expensive kendama. If you buy an expensive kendama it doesn't mean you're going to be a pro and the same thing goes with photography. It takes some practice, just like most things.

Lighting plays a big factor for sure. I prefer directional light (light hitting your subject from the side as opposed to straight on) as it creates depth and shadows which really shows details. Or backlight (light behind your subject) but this method can be harder to learn at first.

If you're just using an iPhone, learn how to expose your photos in camera or use an app to do this better. To do this in the default camera app, just touch your screen to focus and then slide your finger up to expose the photo more. I find that iPhones underexpose most shots so adding a little brightness helps a lot. If you want to use an app with more features, I recommend Filmborn. With filmborn you just slide your finger up and down for exposure and left and right for color balance (warmer vs cooler). Editing helps as well, add some contrast, sharpness but don't go to crazy with effects. If you're shooting indoors, find a window and use the light coming in from it to light your scene. If you're outdoors, find some light shade so that shadows aren't too harsh.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up!

Nov 26, 2016
  6. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Thanks! A lot of detail to take in but I'll definitely take it all in and try and take some pics, if I do I'll definitely post them on my Instagram @junida11 I'll tag you so hopefully you will be able to see some!

Nov 26, 2016
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  7. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Thanks! I get the lighting a lot so I try that! Nice photo by the way

Nov 26, 2016
  8. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Yeah, the whole reason I wanted to try and take some pictures was from looking at other people's photos! Thanks for the advice

Nov 26, 2016
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  9. Joel Clayton

anytime bro!

Nov 26, 2016
  10. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Wow! I'm going to check out Filmborn app right now. Hope they give you part of the sales revenue.

Nov 26, 2016
  11. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

Haha I wish! The dude behind it is the guy behind Mastin Labs which is a preset company. He's a great guy and when they came out with an app I knew it would be awesome!

Nov 26, 2016
  12. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

If u hav a dslr, heres a tip
    Go to Manual mode, set ur exposure to full, aperture to the max number( meaning aperture smaller), and iso to the lowest. The take a shot of ur ken, make sure ur ken or cam isnt moving at all, the wave a torch light around the ken. The long exposure effect is stunning

Dec 31, 2016
    Jun. I and Steezdiaz like this.