Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by BallardKROM, Sep 26, 2016.

1. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Awesome story! Welcome Gene!

Jun 21, 2018
  2. beglerijapan

beglerijapan Honed Member

Waddup guys!

Cedryc, 40, from French speaking Belgium, expat in Japan since '04.

I work as holistic lifestyle advisor but I also do a bunch of interesting side stuff, like translation gigs (my major in college) and crystals/minerals exhibitions support staff. Since this spring, I'm also working hard to spread the Begleri and Knuckleroller culture across Japan, mostly by making good brands and good products available locally at the original prices, so nobody gets preyed on.

Ironically, it's taken me 14 years AND the begleri to discover the kendama... I've had a 5 buck ken at home for years, "for later", but never really felt the pull until I started being active on instagram for my begleri activities. It only took a couple of talented players posting daily (like yuiyuiyui, 8yo/5dan) to blow my mind and make me get something more sexy. Funnily enough, my GF has been watching me sling begleri beads all day everyday nonstop for almost a year now, but she never really felt the pull... but she fell in love with the kendama at the same time, which is even more ironical since she's Japanese born and raised.

I'm sure I'll be asking you guys silly noob questions for years, so pls bear with me, and in return if you ever need begleri or roller info, or Japanese translations, pls hit me.

Jul 12, 2018
    g00dr0, goenKendama and AN_TY like this.
  3. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Welcome Cedryc!!! I will def be hitting you up for Japanese translations!

Jul 13, 2018
    beglerijapan likes this.
  4. Wehpunkt

Wehpunkt n00b

Hey Guys! I am Daniel, 30yo and I started Kendama on June, 29th, 2018 and I am totally addicted. I live in Hamburg in Northern Germany and work as a Pre-School Teacher for living.

My IG: daniel_wehpunkt

Jul 16, 2018
  5. AN_TY

AN_TY Honed Member

Welcome Daniel!! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jul 16, 2018
  6. nimron13

nimron13 Member

Hey Guys! Im Thomas, 21 years old and started playing recently, almost 4 months in now. Totally addicted to playing, love the feeling of progress everyday. Im living in Austria Vienna

ig: betektiv.bonan

Jul 17, 2018
    g00dr0 and goenKendama like this.
  7. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Member

Long, long time yoyoer here, just getting more seriously into kendama. I’ve been more into wood in general lately. I’ve always gone back and forth between unresponsive yo-yos and wood fixed axle, but the wood has been calling my name lately. That’s kinda transitioned into kendama and pill for me lately and it’s been a very refreshing change of pace. Aside from yo-yos and kendamas, I’m an avid cyclist, MTBer, and runner. I’ll be bugging y’all with noob questions like how to keep the string out from under the ken on a lighthouse...

Jul 22, 2018
    g00dr0 and goenKendama like this.
  8. Kendama London

Kendama London Member

Hey everyone,

It's Matt from Kendama London here :) We are a UK based Online store selling premium Kendamas from around the world.

Established early 2018, we just love sharing the love! So check us out when you can <3

I've personally been playing Kendama for nearly 3 years now and for me it's such a refreshing form of meditation. Love the community and love the good vibes!

https://www.kendamalondon.com

Hit us up on Instagram --> @kendamalondon

@g00dr0 for my personal account.

Also follow @project.ark and @glosdama

Much Love!

Jul 31, 2018
    Stuart Barron and g00dr0 like this.
  9. MarkFiskeArt

MarkFiskeArt n00b

Hello all, my name is Mark Fiske. I’m 34 years old from Morris, Illinois. I’m married and have a 1 1/2 year old daughter. I started playing kendama in April 2018. I loved skateboarding and playing footbag in high school. So when I found kendama it immediately took me back. I love the idea of learning a new skill and the challenge of self. I have always gravitated towards interesting/fun hobbies. I am a high school art teacher and I have plans to create a kendama club at school. I hope to get some students hyped on kendama this year!

IG:markfiskeart
    IG:fiskedama (I will be posting my learning progression on this account)

Aug 13, 2018
    halidan and goenKendama like this.
  10. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Aug 14, 2018
    MarkFiskeArt likes this.
  11. Jose Pablo

Jose Pablo Member

I've been a member of Downspike since the beginning days of it, but I just wanted to share the start of my IG page dedicated to my dama journey! I'm slowly gonna try to keep track of my progress and share my passion with it.

If you're interested, add me up! IG: @pabsdama

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Aug 22, 2018
    Relyk, goenKendama and MarkFiskeArt like this.
  12. Epatts

Epatts Member

Hello everyone! My name is Eric and I’ve been playing Kendama very off and on for a couple years. I love many skill toys, but kendama has interested me more than most. I speed solve Rubik’s cubes as well, but recently have found myself reaching for a kendama more than a cube. I love the challenges that kendama offers, and the endless improvements that are possible. Being from MN, I hope I can make it down to at least watch the MKO this fall!

Happy slaying!

Sep 1, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  13. KenWave

KenWave n00b

Whats up guys! My name is Josh and im currently posted up at Calgary, Alberta. I've been on and off kendama for about 4 years but now I'm going to commit! I really love playing kendama because of the feeling of hitting a trick, how challenging it is and how great the community is! I've been on and off because my friends stopped playing with them.Hope I can get honed and get better!

Instagram: @villa.jd

Also make sure to follow: @sweetskendamas @KendamaUSA @kromkendama

Slay hard!

Sep 10, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  14. Inc0rp0real

Inc0rp0real n00b

Hey all I'm Eric.
    New to kendama but loving it so far .
    I'm from northern Virginia. Looking forward to learning and getting better as well as looking for people that share the same love for kendama. It'd be a plus if they were in the area.

Sep 12, 2018
    Ballzincider, goenKendama and KenWave like this.
  15. Quinn Teddy

Quinn Teddy n00b

Hello! My name is Quinn Teddy (@quinndamaa on Instagram) and I'm based in the small town of Shelby, North Carolina. I started playing kendama at the end of August 2018. What I'm most stoked on? The daily grind. I want to be able to hit a level 10 trick sometime in the next year. I'm seeing myself improve more every single day and I can't wait to continue doing just that (hopefully, lol)

Go follow @dave_cher and @hbishh :) Love those two

Oct 23, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  16. TheHoboDama

TheHoboDama n00b

Yo, my names Nick, I go by hobo online though. I'm 21 years old and I've been playing kendama on and off for 3 years now, more time off than on, but I'm settling in for the long haul now. I started on a black KUSA tribute and after playing for a couple weeks set it down and picked up a natty ozora. I'm settling back in now, and im putting in some effort to stop by MKO this year. I look forward to discussing kendama with yall.

Oct 23, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  17. Chuckyzombie

Chuckyzombie n00b

Hello dama slayers my names charlie maciel!! I’m from Los Angeles and I’ve been playing kendama for 4 months!! I love learning new tricks to add to my lines! I would love to meet up with all of you and just jam!!

You can find me on Instagram @Chuckyzombie
    @ralphies_magical_adventuers

Oct 26, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  18. Mac Dick

Mac Dick n00b

Mac Dick here, turned 50 this year, currently living in Texas in the Dallas Fort Worth Area (Atlanta, GA before that). I would say I am somewhere in the intermediate skill level. My kids got Kendamas for Christmas 2012 and I have been hooked ever since! DamaFest 2013 in Atlanta was my first Dama event.

One of the things I love about Kendama is you can watch someone do a trick and think "There is no way I will ever be able to do that!" but then 5 years later (more like a month for others) you nail that very same trick! What I love about it is everyone progresses at their own rate and the Kendama community appreciates and understands we all have our own Kendama path. I have met people that have made me a better person through Kendama and it is hard to put into words the joy I get from playing.

One last tidbit, if you are in the mood to have fun with my name, I am a Major in the USMC (not currently active) and was stationed in Djibouti in 2005. I'll let you put 2 and 2 together.

I hope to meet you at Battle at the Border 2019!

Instagram
    @stayyoung7

Nov 9, 2018
  19. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@Mac Dick Check out DFW Shredders to see if there are any area players you can meet. Also there was an event in the DFW area beginning of the year but I don't know if it will be in the same place next year. TX Yoyo & Kendama Comp I went to it but was a bit late so just met a few people but didn't watch the competition.

Nov 9, 2018
    Chuckyzombie and Mac Dick like this.
  20. JHard502710

JHard502710 Slayer

Hello all! Been on DS for just a little bit now so decided to introduce and tell my short story.. bought first dama a Duncan Venom from a closing ToysRUs sale back in April’18. I collect minimates and was buying up the rest of their stock when they were closing down in the US. At the checkout they had an end cap filled with Duncan kendamas for $5 in so many different color ways. Most resembling sports team colors. My eyes were drawn to the Celtics green Tama with double yellow stripes. Picked it up and added to my checkout recalling I had seen one of my fave artist from IG picking one up and playing with it back last year sometime and having fun with it. I decided to give it a try as well. Got home and was instantly hooked.. started watching YT vids from RachJamsKens and CutTheNoise @Ben Lowe and @MattSweets with the tutorials and progressing at an acceptable rate for myself lol. I used to Rollerblade back in the day but don’t do as much on them anymore for fear of hurting wrists, hands etc when those are how I make a living. I’m a cook in a local pizza kitchen. Oh yeah, that reminds me, I’m Jon, 36 from Louisville, KY.
    Bought a few more duncan kendamas from the closing TrU to give as gifts to friends and family I thought may be interested as well. Not knowing yet that there were so many other better beginner kendamas out there. I learned Lighthouses, Birds, Airplanes, jumping sticks, and spikes all within first couple wks of playing(with an icy gloss Duncan tama mind you) and figured others could too. Gave 5 total away to people I thought could benefit/have fun with them. Only 1 really kept with it but just barely. He works with me.
    Have since bought many kendamas to see which style I like best. In hand. Paint styles. Wood types and designs etc. I am a Huge fan of Sol Kendamas and what they do. @Chad Covington seems like a genuinely nice dude and has hooked my order up a couple times when ordering from them. And always includes a message appreciating the KY love I show. I work in a local pizza shop and have for most of my adult life. I think buying and sustaining small local business is key to a happy successful loving community. Besides that I have kendamas from Analog, GrainTheory, KUSA, Krom and Sweets.. Sweets being largest in my collection. Krom being the first real Kendama after my Duncan’s. I ordered a lavender Pop as $20 seemed like a good starting point.
    I also have ended up buying and playing with a Sweets Rolling pin heavily as well as some Terra Pills (reg and jumbo).
    I have an IG but am not that active on it as I find it sucks up too much of my time I could be playing or doing something else more constructive.
    IG: @jsteez5024 though if you want to see some of my art, glass collection and Kendama content..
    IG: @bensfocus was the artist from Oregon that I first saw with a Kendama and why I picked up my first one.
    IG: @abrooksart Aaron Brooks is my Fave artist. Super cool chill dude doing original content. Have bought lots from Brooks and he’s always been super nice and communicative, even when I had questions not related to art.
    Glad to be here in a community of friendly, like minded people :)

Nov 14, 2018