Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by BallardKROM, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Kennet

Kennet n00b

Kennet from Norway. I work as a substitute teacher, and as of recent, a youth worker at the local culture house. Spreading the hobby among our local youth.

Bought my first kendama about 9 and a half years ago, and started selling them out of my backpack almost from the get-go. I mean, first I used them as gifts for friends and younger family, but I quickly figured I should keep at least a small stock, as friends and strangers showed interest. No large volume, it's just... the kendama draws so much positive attention, and it's nice to be able to provide when someone's pupils dilate with delight.

I'm a jack of all trades (master of none), and I find the kendama to provide lessons in so many areas. Not just in relation to motivation and community; there are some physics lessons to be learned, too, and I still occasionally find new inroads to talk school.

An indication of my level:
    I can do lunars, but not consistently. Very little string trick experience. Gaining confidence on various bird combos (f.ex. spinning over the valley) and I like to start with a handle stall. I love to do kendama rhythmically to music, switching between grips, doing earth turns, and working on drop-ins to lighthouse and back, all at a steady pace. I like to land a base cup with the spike on my finger, and spin it using my thumb against the sarado. That's kind of my signature move.

I insist with vigour to assist any beginner with getting the spike (by spinning the ball for them, and cheering them on), once they've played around with it for a couple of minutes. Their reaction to nailing the spike for the first time is never disappointing, and frequently results in a sale.

I struggle to get my ideas off the ground, but I want to develop some kendama theme on my youtube channel, which is Kennet K. Tangen. No content yet, except my first landing of a lunar in 2017.

May 27, 2022
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@Kennet Welcome to DS. Cool to hear about your kendama teaching efforts. Speaking of physics lessons, here's one for you:

and another. . .

May 27, 2022