Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Kendama Friendships

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Shikey, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Shikey

Shikey n00b

While at MKO, I met Joey Swisher and we became friends and hung out some during the weekend. After MKO, I saw a thread asking about what your all time favorite edit was. I know that's a really tough question, but one of my top ones was CVK Edit 3. I went back and watched it to realize that Joey was in the video! That edit was the one that really got me into kendama and showed me what it was all about.

During BATB this weekend, Kevin DeSoto and I were reminiscing about the old KUSA toyfair edits. So today I went deep in the KUSA YouTube history and found the damafest 2013 edit which is still incredible. I watched and realized that Charles Rager made several appearances in the video. And now he is someone I've hung out with at plenty of events and jams, but back when I first watched that video I had no idea who he was.

So I pass this onto you: have you made any close friendships with people you used to only see in edits? I want to hear about it!

Jan 12, 2017
    Chad Covington and J-Swish like this.
  2. Vincent Dimaya

Vincent Dimaya Member

Bryan Hansen from BHC and I had something similar. I first saw his super insane instagram and heard of his customs brand. Yet strangely, through FKC and the "KenDrama" facebook groups, something happened that to this day I don't know, and he ended up blocking me on FB, even though we barely spoke. I was salty for a bit haha, but once we met at MKO 2016, I asked him about it. He couldn't remember a thing about it specifically, and in general it was a really weird time and I probably just got lumped in with some group drama. Petty things like that pass anyway.

Anyway, we ended up pulling all nighters jamming and sometimes passing out on the hotel lobby stairs all weekend, the real MKO experience. I am happy to have cleared up my view of one of the most innovative slayers in the land, and to have focused on what really mattered, community and dama!

Jan 12, 2017
    Shikey likes this.
  3. J-Swish

J-Swish Honed Member

Haha I look a little bit different today than I did during the old CVK videos! Was a pleasure hanging with ya!

Jan 12, 2017
    MicahDama and Shikey like this.
  4. connor sullivan

connor sullivan Member

5. Ryalkid20

Ryalkid20 Honed Member

It was three days before my moms birthday and me and my dad were at the mall buying her presents and I asked my dad "can I go to the lion head stand?" (I brought my Kendama of course) he said "yeah" so I did and when I was walking there I was hoping to see like Mikey or Caden but all I saw was @clyw_jerred at the time I didn't even know him so I thought he was just some kid that needed a job and didn't even play dama. But the second I walked up he saw the dama around my beck and was like "wow dude, is that the galaxy custom?" After that I just talked to him for a bit asked him if he was sponsored and stuff and he showed me some tricks and at the time I wasn't very good so he showed me how to do slings better and how to juggle and stuff and after that I saw him more at jams and stuff and now he is one of my main Dama homies

Jan 12, 2017
  6. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

I met @con.les at LVKO where we really got to know each other and he was a really cool dude. Most recently we saw each other at MKO where we really got to bond and we ended up being really good friends.

Jan 12, 2017
  7. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Oh hell yes!

@bonz atron - We met at KWC 2015, and we hit it after a few cigarette sessions!
    Same can be said with many of the players, such as @thorkild and Philip Eldridge.
    Had a real swell time with @Jake Wiens and some of the KUSA members over coffee!
    Made it a point to bring my coffee gear every time for KWC.

Jan 12, 2017
  8. Matthew Dam

Matthew Dam Member

I know of some one, Russell Vu who is great friends with the members of Kendama OC, a group of slayers from Orange County, CA. I saw Russell in a video when there was a 4v4 KEN Battle, I realized that when i checked his IG he was friends with someone else I knew. I guess we know each other more often since we share some common intrests: were both vietnamese, are catholic, and are hopeful of passing finals xD

Jan 12, 2017