Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Kendama Mini-Games!

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by maxdesu, Oct 12, 2016.

1. maxdesu

maxdesu Honed Member

What's up guys!
    I've always wanted to share/compile a list of great mini-games that you all play around the world!
    Sweets has done an amazing job with some Mini-game tutorials, but I'm sure there are even more in your hometowns! Let's discuss some awesome Mini-games and I'll try and keep a running list!

1. Spike off!

2. Follow

3. The Chain Game

4. Unicorn Battle

5. Relay Races

6. Candlestick Battle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ZkAakMHnI

Oct 12, 2016
    Cheech_Sander and Ben Lowe like this.
  2. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

Hell yes great idea for a thread! Obviously K.E.N.

Me and my buddies used to do a game where we would each call a trick then we would race to do them all in that order. First one to get em all wins. Simple but fun. I'll think of more games and be back here!

PEACE!

Oct 15, 2016
  3. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

The gauntlet: Line up a bunch of different kendamas (the more different, the more better! ie different sizes, shapes, etc), pick a trick that you have to do on all of them (i.e. swing spike). Each player has to do that trick on each kendama, and if you miss you must repeat until you land the trick on that kendama. Usually there is a penalty for missing, such as beverage consumption.

KEN is for kids, what you want to play is DAMA

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Oct 15, 2016
  4. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

What is the difference between "KEN" and "DAMA"?

Oct 19, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  5. Michael Joseph Reeves

I figured it was the same as the difference between pig and horse but now that i think about it i dont understand why one less letter would be the version for kids lol. @htimSxelA is there more to it?

Oct 19, 2016
  6. teejkolesnik

teejkolesnik Slayer

A version of "Simon Says" is a great game to play as well. You can use your name when playing with a group of kids, players and big crowds. Pretty self explanatory.

I played a lot of these games during my Tour, but all the kids seemed to love "Tj Says."

Oct 19, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  7. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I ran across this app that is pretty fun for picking random tricks to perform. This is a "roulette wheel" for JKA Kyu level tricks but you can make your own versions pretty easily.

Oct 20, 2016
    Almostgets likes this.
  8. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

reminds of these gifs ive seen on FB

Attached Files:

Oct 20, 2016
  9. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I've seen those but I'm pretty sure those only work when they're able to connect to the site that creates them. My understanding is that GIFs are just animated files; you can't interact with them.

Oct 21, 2016
  10. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I found a way: open the gif in a new tab, and then click on it and drag out to the side, and it will drag a ghost image, stopped on whatever frame you clicked on. (running OSX Sierra, Chrome browser)
    There are also some sites that will convert gifs to html5, and then allow you to pause them at any point.

Kids play KEN, the rest of us play DAMA

Oct 21, 2016
  11. SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK Member

At KG Tuesday they have had games of KEN where you rotate the damas to either the left or right of you.

Nov 2, 2016
  12. Koisuru Stephen

Koisuru Stephen Honed Member

Ive been wanting to try "lottery lines" with Kendama for awhile.

I saw it on the Scotty Cranmer BMX channel.

You need a deck of cards, or bucket of ping pong balls like in the video, with trick names written on them.

In the team version (let's say 3v3) each team with draw 3 tricks. each person has to do one trick, but they can decide amongst themselves who will go for each one. If all three people lace, they're safe. If someone fails, the team gets a letter.
    Teammates will have to figure out everyone's strengths and weaknesses, and occasionally step out of their comfort zone to stay in.

For the non team version, each player draws three and has to link them in a combo. It may get a little weird with grip changes and things though.

Extra: you can add extra cards/balls to make things weirder, like in the video. For BMX they have "fakie" and "oppo", but for Kendama you could throw in penguin or inward.

Nov 6, 2016
    EWiens and Michael Joseph Reeves like this.
  13. EWiens

EWiens Member

image.jpeg Some friends and I came up with Kendama Bowling about a year ago. Fun game that focuses of being consistent with easier tricks. It's best with more than three players. The great thing about it is that a beginner can play with an pro and still have fun. We tried it out at the Chattanooga Kendama Jam Session last year.

In Kendama Bowling, the 10 "Pins" are 10 tricks in a ladder. Just as you would roll a ball to knock down as many pins as you can in bowling, in kendama bowling, you start at the beginning of the ladder and complete each trick in succession until you complete all 10 tricks or fail. Scoring is the same as regular bowling.

If anyone wants more info I have a google drive spread sheet I set up for scoring and ladders Link.

Nov 6, 2016
  14. Michael Joseph Reeves

Solid idea

Nov 6, 2016
  15. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

these are great.

this is a total non sequitur but in the days before Colin and I got that first TK-16, we played a lot of "nutball".
    basically you took a hackey sack and sat on opposite sides of the ski shop and took turns trying to hit each other in the scrotum. Terrible fucking game. kendama may have saved my future children.

Nov 7, 2016
  16. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

my all time favorite game is candle stick battle

Nov 25, 2016
  17. Michael Joseph Reeves

Im trying to come up with rules for Team K.E.N. or D.A.M.A or K.E.N.D.A.M.A. cuz last time i played it some people kind of took over but it has potential to be super fun. ANYTHING IN BOLD AND CAPS IS UP FOR DEBATE

So your teams can be 2v2 , 4v4, or even more. With more players it would make more sense to have more letters. It would be ideal to try to have the skill levels per team matched up. Not necessarily everyone at the same skill level. nor 4 intermediate players vs 2 beginner and 2 advanced players. it would work better to have 1 beginner on each team, 1 intermediate on each team, 1 advanced on each team etc. if anything (i think it might be even better with everyone at the same skill level but different play styles).

This is what makes the difference between 2 people hogging the game or everyone being involved equally. You HAVE TO establish an order for who sets the tricks when BUT SHOULD IT BE THE SAME FOR BOTH TEAMS?. (an example of an order would be, "you set first, me second, ___ third, then we do a triples trick, then it repeats.) another example would be: (me and you do a doubles trick, you and ___do a doubles trick, then me and ___ do a doubles trick) The idea is to have an order of setting the keeps everyone involved equally.

I think this has a lot of potential AND ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT so let me know what you guys think and would add or take away.

PEACE!

Nov 28, 2016
    Steezdiaz likes this.
  18. Steezdiaz

Steezdiaz Slayer

^^ I like the idea of 2v2 but each team has to do doubles tricks (like passing one ken or tricks with two kens that are synced or intertwined). This would be a good way to even out the playing field. Pair really skilled players up with not so skilled players so that it balances them out.

Dec 5, 2016