Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

kendama vlog/trick video process

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ben Lowe, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I'm posting this in the Beginner section because it is more or less an answer to another player @Luke J. and I think it may be beneficial to other beginners like myself who might want to throw something together.

For anyone else who makes videos (regularly or semi regularly) tell me your process!

Okay so @Luke J. asked me on my chatter about how long it takes me to make a video, and so I'll talk about this most recent one:

For this particular video I shot the whole thing during my lunch break which is an hour long. So it took most of that hour to get all the gopro shots and the selfie cam stuff done. I was having a great sesh though, so I was hitting stuff pretty easily. I also wasn't trying to super wow or impress anyone, just doing stuff I know I can do. Only the couple of taps I did (at the end) were tricks I'm particularly bad at right now. But I hit them pretty easily which was awesome! I was having a good day. Basically if I knew I would waste too much time trying to land a trick, I'd skip it and move onto something else.

For editing I drop all the gopro footage in, and scrub through (not watching in real time) to cut out the tricks. That can take a long time if you don't practice doing it a lot. It used to take me forever but I'm much faster now. I don't have a specific time that it took. Then I drop in the selfie cam stuff and jump cut that to pieces so everyone doesn't have to listen to all my "umms" and anything stupid that I wish I hadn't said. I usually end up cutting a good 10-20% off of me talking (this time maybe even more.) Then I watch through it and cut more, making sure there is not too much extra stuff again. At this point I've probably spent more than an hour on editing I'd say.

Then the music part. This can vary (just like everything else.) I dig around and struggle and try to find something that works. I add it in, change all the audio levels so its not too crazy, and watch through it a few more times, cleaning things up as I go and seeing if the music works or not.

And that's about it! For this video I'm guessing it took something like 3-4 hours total (including the lunch time recording sesh.) At the end of the day, videos can vary quite a bit in how long they take to make depending on a few factors. This one is on the fast side of things for a video where I talk and do tricks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jan 27, 2017
    Almostgets likes this.
  2. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

I generally have two forms of editing:

1. Short / Instagram style.
    - I think about what i wanna do the day before, and practice.
    - i'd probably take anywhere between 30 mins to 2 hours to lace it.
    - I review the recording and cut to where necessary.
    - Back at home, i'll offload it from my iPhone, dump it on my Mac, run it through FCPX
    - Then i find the intro, add effects (like slo-mo, etc) where necessary, and see what music may fit. The advantage of having a good mic attached means that i can forego music if needed. Just pure clacks.
    - When done, i export to desktop, AirDrop it to my iPhone back (or Dropbox) and load to Instagram.

Process (without shooting time) is around 1-1.5 hours.

2. Short movie (> 3 mins) for Youtube.
    - Shotgun recording. Anyone i find with an interesting trick, i point my iPhone at. Usually happens at major dama events.
    - Dump all tricks (unedited) into hard drive, numbered, sorted by name and trick and categorized by date (based on my last edit, it took nearly three days to sort 230+ GB of footy)
    - Pick the ones that will make it into edit and put aside. (about 1 day)
    - Pick music (this usually takes days, sometimes weeks)
    - Put clips thru FCPX and add effects, etc etc (roughly 7-8 days, based on last edit)
    - Export and upload directly to YouTube.

Process (without shooting time) is around 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Jan 27, 2017
    Megan Schiferl and Ben Lowe like this.
  3. Luke J.

Luke J. n00b

Thank you very much for such helpful replies. Sounds like there is a lot more to it than I realized. Plus I'm not a big technology guy so that might make it seem more complicated. Might try it out one of these days though!

Jan 28, 2017
    Aloysius_hung_ and Ben Lowe like this.
  4. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Thats a lot of time that you guys are putting into the community. Thanks for doing it, it's helpful for me to watch for inspiration and motivation.

Jan 28, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.