Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Kendamas as gifts

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Qonnor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

One of my favorite things about kendama is getting people into it. Since I love this so much, I try to have a few damas on hand at all times that I can give away at a moments notice. For me, I like to give away new ones if possible, just because getting to take the thing out of its package and make the first few dents is such a fun experience.

Right when I started playing, I found some random stock of these lavender colored tributes on ebay for three bucks a piece. Since they were so cheap, I bought ten of them and have been giving them out any time one of my friends seems stoked on them. That said, I finally gave my last one away yesterday! Do any of ya'll do this? If you have, what damas do you give out? Even if you don't does anyone have recommendations of dirt cheap damas I could pick up somewhere?

I know I could pick up a ton on alibaba or something for really cheap, but that feels unethical to me. Is that right or do you think it's fine to just cut out the middle man since so many of the cheaper damas come from there anyway?

Oct 10, 2017
  2. Aric Bukiri

Aric Bukiri Honed Member

This is awesome keep spreadin the dama love.!

Oct 10, 2017
    Jasper B. and Qonnor like this.
  3. AdrianEsteban

AdrianEsteban Honed Member

I'd definitely try hitting up kendama USA through email. Alissa can probably get you the help you're looking for with this.

Oct 10, 2017
    earthgirl420, Andy Dama and Qonnor like this.
  4. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

we do what we can via DS for gifts back to the community, but in terms of giving to friends, I usually give out hand me downs.

Occasionally I'll buy one for somebody that I know doesnt play that much if it's right up their alley. Like my sister's husband is terribly uncoordinated and always gives up after big cup, but he is a big cyclist so I bought him the DWI merck mod with the peloton colors as a gift. Maybe that will keep him stoked.

Oct 11, 2017
  5. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Hand me downs is a good call for sure. I'm curious tho, what is the least expensive dama you can purchase without buying some noname thing from a major retailer. If I'm gonna be trying to get people into kendama, I also want to be trying to support kendama companies ya know?

Oct 11, 2017
    Dylan Hunter Onderko likes this.
  6. Nick Dodenhoff

Nick Dodenhoff Member

Kendama USA classics are only 15. They are also made if birch which should last longer for new players.

Oct 11, 2017
    Gasiek and Qonnor like this.
  7. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

These are 10 bucks on amazon.

I've had them as one of my first. The tamas are ever so smaller. Like I mean barely smaller the cups are the same size though. They're pretty tough. I still got mine for January. @Qonnor

Oct 11, 2017
    Qonnor likes this.
  8. Qonnor

Qonnor Slayer

Link doesn't seem to be working for me :(

Oct 11, 2017
  9. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

I don't know how to get it to work @Qonnor but basically if you go on the link and type in kendama and scroll down till you get this picture with a bunch of kendamas in a bulk box that say twb there sold by pls

Oct 11, 2017
  10. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

That would get me stoked! *hint, hint*

Oct 11, 2017
    Qonnor likes this.
  11. J-Swish

J-Swish Honed Member

I stocked up pretty hard on Play Kendamas and KenCo when KendamaCo went out of business. I think it was 5 for 10$ on Play. Only have one left now! Feels good.

Oct 12, 2017
    Qonnor likes this.
  12. CodyGriz

CodyGriz Slayer

If you buy enough, you should be able to get a wholesale discount from most companies.

Oct 12, 2017
  13. Dylan Hunter Onderko

Dylan Hunter Onderko Member

This!! Anytime I have a Dama that I simply don’t play anymore it usually gets handed down to someone friend/random that gets interested!

Oct 12, 2017
    Qonnor likes this.