Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Lighting

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by keebler, Dec 12, 2018.

1. keebler

keebler n00b

How does lighting determine how you shred? For me, I am either in my bedroom where the light hits me from the left, or in my kitchen where it Is almost directly over me. I don't do much outside but when i do i tend to put the light behind me. Does anyone else have any trends they tend to follow to help place their bangers? Anybody have a special lighting rig setup? How about those that can throw down anyplace, in any light.

Dec 12, 2018
    Guy LaBorde and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  2. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

Bro I thought I was the only one thinking about this!
    Switching from at home lights, to like the Fluorescent tube lights you'd have at school/work really messes with me for about 10 minutes. The adjustment seems to take longer when getting into the Fluorescents, than when I go back home/ use the sun instead.

Stage lights can get even crazier, for anyone who has never been to a Kendama Competition be sure to take a couple seconds to make sure you don't cast a shadow over yourself when you're gonna play. I've had this mess me up and break my train of thought mid flow, and in a competition setting especially, it's good practice to eliminate any extra stimuli that you yourself can control.

I remember this one time about 6 months ago, I tried to film a trick outside at night, finding your holes for stalls at night can be challenging depending on your tama. However it's kind of like playing with more slippery paint in a way- It trains your eyes/ body to act even if the actions you are trying to accomplish aren't super clear. It allows you to see, as a player, what you have locked in with pure muscle memory. Catching any trick isn't only accomplished through visual stimulus, although that is how we primarily determine

Dec 12, 2018
    quacktaped, Guy LaBorde and keebler like this.
  3. keebler

keebler n00b

Then I'll start playing at dusk so I can hone my spidey-senses. Shadows can definitely hurt your lines tho, I'm gonna focus more on noticing the subtle differences and learning how to maneuver them.

Dec 12, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  4. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

syn·es·the·sia
    /ˌsinəsˈTHēZHə/
    noun
    PHYSIOLOGY•PSYCHOLOGY
    noun: synaesthesia
    1. the production of a sense impression relating to one sense or part of the body by stimulation of another sense or part of the body.
    Sight or vision (adjectival form: visual/optical) is the capability of the eye(s) to focus and detect images of visible light on photoreceptors in the retina of each eye that generates electrical nerve impulses for varying colors, hues, and brightness. There are two types of photoreceptors: rods and cones. Rods are very sensitive to light, but do not distinguish colors. Cones distinguish colors, but are less sensitive to dim light. There is some disagreement as to whether this constitutes one, two or three senses. Neuroanatomists generally regard it as two senses, given that different receptors are responsible for the perception of color and brightness. Some argue[citation needed] that stereopsis, the perception of depth using both eyes, also constitutes a sense, but it is generally regarded as a cognitive (that is, post-sensory) function of the visual cortex of the brain where patterns and objects in images are recognized and interpreted based on previously learned information. This is called visual memory.

Proprioception[edit]

Proprioception, the kinesthetic sense, provides the parietal cortex of the brain with information on the movement and relative positions of the parts of the body. Neurologists test this sense by telling patients to close their eyes and touch their own nose with the tip of a finger. Assuming proper proprioceptive function, at no time will the person lose awareness of where the hand actually is, even though it is not being detected by any of the other senses. Proprioception and touch are related in subtle ways, and their impairment results in surprising and deep deficits in perception and action.[12]

Balance and acceleration[edit]
    Main article: Vestibular system
    Balance, equilibrioception, or vestibular sense is the sense that allows an organism to sense body movement, direction, and acceleration, and to attain and maintain postural equilibrium and balance. The organ of equilibrioception is the vestibular labyrinthine system found in both of the inner ears. In technical terms, this organ is responsible for two senses of angular momentum acceleration and linear acceleration (which also senses gravity), but they are known together as equilibrioception.

It's all about how it connects the sensations between synesthesia('s). Kendama is played primarily with our eyes but we can forget how important the other side of hand eye coordination is when playing, by playing outside in the semi-dark you sort of force your body to use all of the information available to you. Our other senses play a super big part in being a successful kendama player, but they aren't as well known as the big 5.

Dec 12, 2018
    xplodit, TheDamaDope and keebler like this.
  5. keebler

keebler n00b

Damn Sam that was enlightening as hell man. I really been thinking about it all night and when I sesh today I'm gonna have a fresh understanding about the whole experience. I'm gonna have that Cooper Eddy focus.

Dec 13, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  6. sammelkorn

sammelkorn Member

I noticed once after a sesh in somewhat dark environment that I was starting to pay attention to sensations in my arms.
    Specifically, when doing a swing bird and you pay attention to the pull on your hand during the swing, this can translate to information about how hard you have to pull to get it to the desired height. I’m sure you can transfer this to many other tricks.

I noticed that after this I was getting a bit less picky about artificial light situations.
    One thing I still dislike though is light from only one artificial light source.... somehow it’s hard to perceive distance that way for me.

Dec 13, 2018
    keebler and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  7. TheDamaDope

TheDamaDope Member

I invested in some inexpensive soft boxes and a ring light. Spent less than $120 total.
    (I don't use them all at once, that was just for those pics)

They are super easy to transport and set up. And make the lighting PERFECT no matter what. Even if you look directly at it, you won't be blinded.

My best practices..
    -Try and be lit from 2 different sides if at all possible
    -Make sure the light isn't directly in front of you.
    -Be aware of your own shadow InShot_20181121_154442889.jpg InShot_20181121_154319778.jpg

Dec 13, 2018
  8. keebler

keebler n00b

That's real slick man, I'm definitely gonna do something like that in my gameroom. I assume you face the ring light when it's off and just use the boxes.

Dec 13, 2018
    TheDamaDope likes this.
  9. sammelkorn

sammelkorn Member

I think you meant to quote @thedamadope ;)
    Just making sure your message reaches it’s addressee

Dec 13, 2018
    keebler and TheDamaDope like this.
  10. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

You guys might also check out a related thread (with poll): Outdoor Lighting

Dec 13, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer and keebler like this.
  11. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

I honestly don't mind the lighting situation, unless it's a shot against the light. However, I'm not particularly concerned with film quality so much as getting my trick on film, so other peoples' mileage may vary.

Feb 13, 2019
    keebler likes this.
  12. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Diffuse lighting is best, at least compared to highly directional/spot lighting.

If you have directional lighting, try pointing them up at the roof above you, and/or at the walls in the room (assuming you have white-ish walls), to bounce the light off a surface before it hits you. That'll help diffuse it and remove shadows, which are terrible for play

Feb 13, 2019
    LineKnob, slothymane and keebler like this.
  13. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

I prefer playing outside but right now with work and winter when i come home its dark & nasty out.
    My lamp in my room was horrible and I could play in 1 spot without throwing too much shade.
    This week i decided to splash out and get a "smart LED" lamp after seshing @a friends house who had one of those.
    I can choose what light (warm, cold, RGB, Daylight) and what intensity i want.
    Best 90€ I spent

Feb 14, 2019
    keebler and htimSxelA like this.
  14. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

LED lamps are awesome for dama, and for filming. A little bit of built-in white balance is nice.
    On that note, 'Happy Lights' are awesome for dama. They're daylight balanced (vitamin D, etc), and generally made to be quite diffuse. Makes for perfect dama playing light.

Feb 15, 2019
    Matteo Schulz, keebler and slothymane like this.
  15. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

thought of getting one of those too but recently tge sun has been VERY intense which is helping me greatly

Feb 15, 2019
    keebler likes this.