Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

LOL clear

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Nel.slay, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Nel.slay

Nel.slay Member

Got my Slaydawg last week. It was suuuper tacky to start, and I was landing crazy lunar lines on it (it slays). For some reason, it is now crazy slippery. Anyone else experience this? Does it get its grip back?

Mar 21, 2017
  2. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

What i normally do is i give it a good wipe with a microfiber cloth (the same ones you use for spectacles), and it's brand spanking new.

But i live in humid and hot weather, so YMMV.

Mar 21, 2017
  3. Nel.slay

Nel.slay Member

I will try this and post my findings

Mar 21, 2017
  4. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

A damp cloth may even bring it back to life. The LOL clear strikes me as a gel like rubberized finish so shouldn't absorb any moisture from the cloth at all.

Mar 21, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  5. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

I have a Tama with the LOL coat and the same thing has happened to me. I think it may collect dust overtime or something. As was said above, a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth (or just putting it in my jacket pocket) brings it right back to life.

Mar 21, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  6. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Mine kinda did the same thing, nihon ash. I just wipe it or go and play with a natty for a while so I "convince" myself that it's sticky again

Mar 21, 2017
  7. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

Okay, I for one would like to see this post make a comeback. I was playing my slaydawg for the first time in a while last night and realized that it was insanely icy. I'm not sure if I've just been spoiled by sweets cushion clear or if I've worn through the initial tackiness of the LOL coat. Either way I wish there was a simple method to test this.

Apr 11, 2017
  8. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

What I'm trying to say is my microfiber cloth isn't working anymore

Apr 11, 2017
  9. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I haven't experienced this AT ALL. Do you guys all live in warmer climates? It is cold (cool I guess) and wet where I am and my slaydawg (from November) LOL paint is still great. (3DDON)

Apr 11, 2017
    Dama_lacing, Jasper B. and sambarboo like this.
  10. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

How long have you been playing with this slaydawg? mine isnt specific to the lol clear, but i had a kusa Colin sanders pro mod, that after maybe 30 hours between me and my brother, plus 3 years it lost its stick to the point where its almost worse than my new natty or ice paint. I don't know if its because of the overall time, or the play time.

@Ben Lowe Do you do anything to take care of your damas? Any special places that you keep them?

Apr 11, 2017
  11. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

The Slaydawg (and tama) in question is always in the Slaydawg bag unless I play it. All my other damas are out on shelves, but this slaydawg lives in the bag.

Apr 11, 2017
    sambarboo and Brandon Jensen like this.
  12. kendama duke

kendama duke Honed Member

I have experienced the same with the lol clear. I live in Denmark, and its pretty cold here. It looks like the same kinda weather as where you live, so i don't think that that's the reason. Maybe @Philip Eldridge knows?

Apr 12, 2017
    Dan Reinstein likes this.
  13. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Was in cold weather in Japan (7°-18°).
    Slaydawg is baller for the weather, but it also performs as expected in warm climates (Kuala Lumpur goes up to 38°).
    Just give it a good wipe and make sure it's free from oils.

Also noticed that in warmer climates, the wood pores open up better for stalls.
    It was pretty slippery during my time in Japan.

Apr 12, 2017
  14. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

I would say I've definitely logged over 50 hours on the slaydawg. The weather was recently very hot and dry but dropped down to around the fifties rainy and humid. I'll keep an eye on the weather and report back

Apr 12, 2017
  15. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

I store it on my desk in the open, and my room is usually about 70 degrees.

Apr 12, 2017
  16. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

And thanks for all the replies everybody! No one is really into Kendama at the school I go to so it's great to talk to people who are :)

Apr 12, 2017
  17. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

Oh also I forgot to mention it is quite beat up. The tama is absolutely covered in dents. There are basically no smooth surfaces on it. And it is actually pretty slippery to the touch of my fingers as well

Apr 12, 2017
  18. Leo

Leo n00b

I have a birthday slay dawg and it's about 8/10 condition, I have gradually seen that the paint becomes less sticky but it's not really major. I like it much better this way because I can control lighty's much more. Hope it doesnt get too bad though.

Apr 13, 2017
  19. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Another vote here for warm and humid having a seemingly positive effect on many sticky paints.

Apr 13, 2017
  20. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

I guess it depends on how you break it in

Apr 13, 2017