Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Moshikame - a beginner must

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cheech_Sander, Nov 28, 2016.

1. bencan

bencan Member

Ache and pain means the same to me. But like I said. the sensation manifest when I push on the area right below the pinky finger. I don't feel any otherwise. I'm guessing/thinking it's a sore muscle. And if I'm not imagining, the sore is becoming less pronounce and more tolerable as I write this reply. I would like to continue Moshi Kame and see what happens.

On a different note - I told a teacher friend who lent me the Shinfuji Keyaki/Cherry kendama kinds are not being manufactured anymore because keyaki is now rare or something and suggested they take care of their Shinfujis. I hope my understanding is right and my suggestion is worthwhile. I was incidentally asked to introduce Kendama to their nihongo club. I'm not sure if I'm up to it. Everything I know is through DS - reading and knowing then sharing is tall order for me. I'd be lying if I said I was not interested and excited with the thought. It's just a thought now - let's where this goes a few months from now.

Cheers,

Apr 20, 2018
    Cheech_Sander and goenKendama like this.
  2. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

@bencan Ah, Ok. For me ache is after you exercise too much and you ache or are sore for a few days. Pain is whacking your head with the tama; today it's pain but tomorrow it might still ache. Hope you start feeling less of whatever we call it.

The JKA Shinfuji models have been discontinued. Keyaki wood is still available but not in Shinfuji configuration. The company still makes kendama but a slightly different shape that is not JKA certified. It's called Minna no Kendama. I have a couple of Shinfuji saved back for a rainy day but some prefer to "destroy all damas" so it's up to the individual.

Good to hear about you helping to spread kendama. You'll be fine, just start slow and change how quickly you teach new tricks based on how well the guys play; some will learn quicker that others.

Apr 21, 2018
    bencan likes this.
  3. DamaKeyes

DamaKeyes n00b

Are you supposed to spike out of moshikame? If so, what’s the best way to spike in the sera grip? I’m only about a week in with Kendama so definitely still learning, and spiking from a cup isn’t something I’m great at even in ken grip yet, let alone sera lol. (Noob.. I know!)

Jun 28, 2018
  4. goenKendama

@DamaKeyes Nope, Moshikame is all cups. Welcome to DS. :D

Jun 28, 2018
  5. DamaKeyes

DamaKeyes n00b

Thank you! That makes it much less frustrating for me for the moment haha!:confused:

Jun 28, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.
  6. goenKendama

Also the official JKA way to start is to place the tama in the big cup and begin from there. No pull-up required. Also, particularly for higher counts, most players use a stringless kendama so they don't get tangled up.

Each cup landing counts as "1" rather than the combo big cup - base cup counting as "1." Hope I didn't just confuse things.

Jun 28, 2018
  7. DamaKeyes

DamaKeyes n00b

Nope, you didn’t confuse me at all. Thanks for the clarification! I’ll have to look up the JKA rules.

Jun 28, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.