Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

One year of kendama thread

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Aaron Gallegos, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

So I'm new to the DS community but I've been playing for almost a year (11 months). What were some of your craziest/ favorite tricks at your one year of kendama mark? What tricks were you working on at the time? If you've been playing for less than a year, what tricks are you working on now? I'm barely getting into insta lighthouse flips, stilt flips, and creative flow lines (like swirl taps and butterflies).

Dec 8, 2017
    Allen Ku likes this.
  2. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Damn son, stilt flips at a year in, fucking Ahhh!

Dec 8, 2017
    ttocsic and Aaron Gallegos like this.
  3. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

trip tap
    two dub tables in a row to spike
    5 jug spike
    360 lunar spin thing on tama
    borders to lunar in

pretty much my best tricks at about 12.5 months

Dec 8, 2017
    Jedi_man and Aaron Gallegos like this.
  4. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Hahaha, damn I wish I had that much time to practice.

Dec 8, 2017
    ttocsic and Aaron Gallegos like this.
  5. Jedi_man

Jedi_man Slayer

I need to grind harder and play more often :oops:. 2 years in and I'm still trying to hone juggles and kenflips, and just this week I started learning gunslingers. Oddly enough, my slinging ability after just one week surpasses my kenflipping ability. They actually seem a lot easier now that I stopped avoiding them.
    Some of the best tricks I've gotten are Plane-Reverse .25 flip to Tap-.75 flip to lighthouse-in* (I know it's kinda basic but it took over an hour of solid grinding on Thanksgiving)
    Plane-1.5 flip to Tradespike (Took a good half hour)
    Dub loon flip (Can sometimes do them on a sticky, haven't done any on a natty yet.)
    Stilt flip (I'm very bad at these. I think I've only gotten about 5 total. I can only occasionally get them on my REZ and the only other ken I've gotten one on was a CWCS. Took a while on that one but it was worth it.)
    2-turn LH-Dub LH-Tradespike (Half hour)
    Double earth turn Whirlslingers (First time doing them today, hit a bunch! They're surprisingly do-able!)
    All done on stickies with good lunar balance (yup) except for ones with a *, which were done with a natty. Needed to hit that one legitimately.
    I do think my GT is really helping me branch out. I have never tried anything to do with slingers till I got it, and I was inspired to give them a try.
    (I overused parentheses in this. :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Dec 8, 2017
    James Hoang and Aaron Gallegos like this.
  6. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Nice! Those are some hard tricks. I've been grinding trip tap lo lighthouse and have landed a few borders, but my juggle to spike consistency and turntables are bad.

Dec 8, 2017
    Jedi_man, ttocsic and quacktaped like this.
  7. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Same, I thought whirlslingers were really hard until I got the feel of them. I found that a really seshed beech kendama (for me it was an almost destroyed sweets prime) works really well for stilt flips. Keep grinding and unlocking tricks!

Dec 8, 2017
    Jedi_man likes this.
  8. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

its not like im consistent with all those tricks but I have hit them

Dec 8, 2017
  9. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

I was just trying to get lighthouses, birds, and dry spikes within my first year mark of kendama! I've come a long way after 2 more years from that point on.

Dec 8, 2017
    Aaron Gallegos likes this.
  10. Ricky Røge

Ricky Røge Slayer

Lunar and lunar flips

Dec 8, 2017
  11. ilivir

ilivir Honed Member

stilt, lunar tre, barrel roll, double juggle, juggle spike at 12 months (now I'm at 15 months). Currently having a lot of fun with one turn lunars, double lunar flips, 2 turn lighthouse,.. :)

Dec 9, 2017
  12. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Stilts boi. Those things were hard.

Dec 9, 2017
    Jedi_man likes this.
  13. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

I got my first kendama in the Christmas of 2016 so I've been playing for almost a year now. But I can do luners lighthouse flips and sometimes stilts and birds and bird flips

Dec 9, 2017
  14. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

sling handlestall was my best by 1 y

Dec 9, 2017
    Aaron Gallegos and Jedi_man like this.
  15. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

They definitely are pretty difficult until you get the hang of the pull up and find that perfect grip where you catch the ken with the tama hole facing straight up.

Dec 9, 2017
    Emil Apostol likes this.
  16. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

Sounds pretty tech. I gotta try that one.

Dec 9, 2017
  17. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

One thing about my progression was that I learned lunars at 1, stilts at about 1 and a half, and lunar flips at 2 months. but on the other hand, I believe I could do loons and stilts before I could lighthouse flip, which is bad on my part. My hardest to learn trick has definitally been juggle to spike and 1 tap. I am terrible at jugs and taps. I have been grinding jug to spike HARD over about 2 and a half months and cannot get those things consistantly. ug. And as for taps, I cannot even tap to lighthouse. (btw I have been playing for less than a year, so this isn't really a one year thing for me).

Dec 9, 2017
  18. Aaron Gallegos

Aaron Gallegos Slayer

I definitely struggle with juggle consistency at the moment, as I have the motion down but the string and hole control get me. I recommend when you learn them, get comfortable with multiple juggles so you have the motion down. Then focus on the hole control after.

Dec 9, 2017
    ttocsic likes this.
  19. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

ya, I struggle with those things too.

Dec 9, 2017
  20. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

Ok, so I've been playing a year now. some of my better tricks are dub stilt flip, 10 juggle spike, gooncircle dub juggle spike, 1-2-3 gunslingers to 1-2-3 whirlslingers, trip sling to bird, some late slinger stuff, sweets special behind the back throw to spike, sweets special to handlestall, some borders stuff, inward and regular lunar tre flips, spacewalk to inward lunar- tap inward lunar flip, dub tap juggle bird, trip lunar flip. I'm really close to getting- trip tap jug spike, 1-2-3 lunar flip, trip stilt flip.

Aug 9, 2018