Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Paint Chipping

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by sorrywongnumber, Jan 13, 2017.

1. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

Been playing my CFraser mod for a while now, is this normal?

Attached Files:

Jan 13, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  2. Thomas Ishikawa

Thomas Ishikawa Honed Member

Unfortunately Sweets paint is pretty prone to paint chip. I feel like since they switched to cushion clear it's been just the luck of the draw when it comes to how well the paint will hold up (also climate and type of wood). For example, my maple tamas with cushion clear are holding up very well but my beech tama is doing pretty poorly.
    Yea aesthetically it starts to look bad but for me personally I could care less. If at least the grip/tack is there, then I'm fine with it (cause that's really the true strength of cushion clear).
    So to answer your question yes, it is normal so at this point just keep on slayin it.

Jan 13, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  3. connor sullivan

connor sullivan Member

Yes it is normal, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it slays.

Jan 13, 2017
  4. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Looks normal. What are your overall thoughts on that promod @sorrywongnumber ?

Jan 13, 2017
  5. sorrywongnumber

sorrywongnumber Honed Member

It's really nice and I love the sound of the maple!

Jan 13, 2017
  6. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty normal!
    Tama still slays!

Jan 13, 2017
  7. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

guess it depends how long you've been playing it for? paint chips its a fact, but i mean if thats the first spike you did maybe a bit of an issue though to me not worth mentioning even if it was

Jan 13, 2017
  8. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

No need to worry, continue to destroy

Jan 14, 2017
    OEZ and Ryley Regner like this.
  9. Aura Kendama

Aura Kendama n00b

Hello guys..

Paint chipping is something that i have been very interested in reducing in our kendamas..
    I posted a video on my instagram timeline of a custom tamas which I painted and gabe to a 6 year old boy with no kendama experience whatsoever...
    So he beat the hell out of it as expected and it was interesting for us to see the results after a number of months playing..
    They were almost no chips to our paint work..
    I would like to share it with you guys if I am allowed...don't want this to be a shout out for my small ken company...so maybe a mod can check that for me of I can post our work on here...
    We are a small custom company AuraKendama and I have over 20 years painting experience graduating from some of London's top art school...
    We did many trials and tests to get a nice durable surface on the top gloss tacky layers... Then after good feedback we now started out business a few months ago and have very positive feedback from our early customers...

Please let me know if we can share our durable paint video..,
    Aura

Jan 14, 2017
    Danny Malto likes this.
  10. damon

damon Slayer

Keep in mind, you're hitting two pieces of wood into eachother, the paint is gonna take some damage! Mugens chipped, but that didn't stop them from being some of the best damas made

Jan 14, 2017
    CodyGriz, OEZ and htimSxelA like this.
  11. Matthew Dam

Matthew Dam Member

Completely normal, like great minded @htimSxelA would say, DESTROY ALL DAMAS

Jan 14, 2017
    htimSxelA likes this.
  12. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

Totally normal dude, cush clear always peels, and it'll just help your stalls more

Jan 14, 2017
  13. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Please check out the READ THIS post stickied to the top of the forum, it clarifies some rules for companies:

---------------------
    5. (For businesses) Advertising your products is okay, BUT ONLY IF your 'advertisement' posts are a small percentage of your total posts.

If every third post you put up is an attempt to sell your wares, thats not okay. If you are an active member that sometimes posts about your newest products at appropriate times, then you're in the clear.
    Related: if someone posts 'should I buy "X' or 'Y'?", and you reply with "You should buy (my) 'Z' instead!", that is also not okay.
    If you're looking to explicitly advertise on the site, please contact the site admins to discuss advertising opportunities.

Read more at http://www.downspike.com/threads/read-this-welcome-to-the-sesh.696/#Wy1qecLImS7XKs60.99
    ---------------------

Looking through your post history, every one to date has been in relation to your products. The thread we're posting in now was started asking about a chip on another company's product, so coming in to advertise your product also violates the second part of rule 5. Please take this rule into consideration in the future, and consider this a friendly warning from the mods.
    The goal of this forum is player communication, not advertisement. If you are an active poster that also runs a company, thats great. If you are just here to advertise, please contact the site admins for advertising options (link in the copy/paste text above). If you have an alternate personal account that can be verified, and uses the forum in a non-advertising way, then your company profile will get a little more leniency.

Jan 14, 2017
  14. Aura Kendama

Aura Kendama n00b

Thanks Alex for that clarity
    I thought that it would look like some blatent advertising and that is why i asked you directly by message if I could ...I think that there was relevance in a durable paint coating discussion and as i persoanlly think this is an important decision when considering a purchase of a product..
    It was not a direct advertisement for our products ,it was giving the thread creator an insight to what else there is on the market...as I am sure that sweets is world wide know about and people will not even think twice about trying another smaller custom company out for the reason that the bigger players dominate the market...
    I would like to contribute to things I understand about and painting is one of them as in have over 20 years fine art practise..so if I see a post about paint durability then I would like to share my knowledge which I apply to our kens...I fully understand what you wrote and thank you for your time ..and my sons like the pills which we bought from you....regards Aura

Jan 14, 2017
  15. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

IMG_3364.JPG When almost isn't good enough, it also doesn't count, and your paint starts to chip…

IMG_3363.JPG
    Kaizen 2.0 maple red/blue split

Jan 18, 2017
  16. Matthew Rice

Matthew Rice Member

kendamas have a life and they dont live forever
    paint chips. wood chips, its all part of the game.

Jan 18, 2017
    Giulian Tena, OEZ and Congarranza like this.
  17. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Yeah I would say this is totally not normal chipping. It's one thing if you get a chip here and there but those look like fairly large chips. Considering there isn't a lot of wear around the bevel I would definitely say they probably added the paint on before the primer was completely set up, or the moisture was high in the wood itself or the shop. I do have to ask though, have you tried just getting an Aura kendama?

Jan 18, 2017
  18. Aura Kendama

Aura Kendama n00b

Hi

i am an practising artist for over for over 20 years and from this knowledge i have really tried to achieve a more durable finished paintwork
    Most of it was due to my sons playing and me having to buy them kendamas more often due to the paint not lasting for so long on other products

so mys sons said to me why dont you paint some tamas for us dad... and then i started to do many tests with different products to try and get the durability up from what i was purchasing from shops...

paint is not totally impenetrable but i think that companies should research more into it..
    i dont want to pump up my work in anyway or put down another company but the consumer who is paying hard earned money should have some quality feedback on what is available out there - like what amazon have for every product a feedback so others can see what is a reliable product...

my son was given for Christmas a European companies kendama which the bottom white Paint chipped off completely under a week and this is probably the best know company in Europe... he was not happy and as a customer that should be reflected out there for others to know before considering a purchase..

Jan 27, 2017
  19. FatHeadedHorse

FatHeadedHorse n00b

I have a sweets prime with cush clear and i'm starting to see some of the clear coat start to peel up around the tama hole edges. Is this supposed to happen?

I also have a kendama usa padauk kaizen with a purple silk tama and its developing white lines on the tama and theres is also some of the tama showing bare through the paint. Has this happened to anyone else with a silk paint tama?

Sep 4, 2018
  20. Dantama

Dantama Honed Member

Every Tama will peal off some day. Thats normal

Sep 4, 2018