Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Paint Questions for Custom Tamas

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by lategreat808, Dec 6, 2016.

1. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

So I came across about 20 raw beechwood Tamas and I want to do an art project and then send some custom painted Tamas to Kendama enthusiasts (likely on this site because it seems awesome), but I have a few questions about paint. I know based on my research that a lot of people do custom Tamas with acrylic spray paint, which is what I am leaning towards but Krylon no longer uses acrylic based spray paint. Anyone know of a good non oil spray paint to use? Perhaps Montana brand? And what is the best clear coat to use on such a Tama to give it the best gloss...any help would be appreciated. A lot of posts online talk about Krylon but it apparently sucks now.

Dec 6, 2016
  2. 7Cabbages

7Cabbages Slayer

I really want to know this bc I want to stay painting my own tamas too

Dec 6, 2016
  3. Noah

Noah Guest

I'm asking myself the same thing

Dec 6, 2016
  4. Joseph

Joseph n00b

Montana paints as well as aliens paint carry acrylic paint, matte paints, semi glossed, primer infused, rubbers and grained

Dec 6, 2016
  5. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Thanks man...and what do you know about clear coats?

Dec 6, 2016
  6. Joseph

Joseph n00b

Best clear coat I could find that didn't break my pockets as for a coat like the cushion clear or krom LOL for that super tacky feel out the box I'm still looking for something my self

Attached Files:

Dec 6, 2016
    7Cabbages likes this.
  7. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Does that clear coat provide a glossy slick coating or is it tacky? I'm mainly worried about stickiness to the touch because the first one I made did not turn out well..
    It was sticky to the touch and the paint marked up the ken. Again, thank you for your response

Dec 6, 2016
  8. Joseph

Joseph n00b

More gloss then stick, the first rams I painted with it I didn't let it dry completely and messed it up but if you let it dry properly it comes out pretty amazing

Attached Files:

Dec 6, 2016
    7Cabbages likes this.
  9. 7Cabbages

7Cabbages Slayer

Let's say i draw a design on the tama and then spray. Would the paint get foggy or how clear does it stay?

Dec 6, 2016
  10. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Clear coat stays really clear if used properly but I have never used it on a tama

Dec 6, 2016
    7Cabbages likes this.
  11. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

Montana slayers??
    I thought i was alone! Where are you all from??

and I hear mod podge is a good clear coat. I tried one but it was super glossy, but i never really give it the attention to break in it properly.

Dec 6, 2016
    Jasper B. and lategreat808 like this.
  12. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I'm from Tucson but I'm leaving out in Storm Lake Iowa now with my house about two hours away in Lyons Nebraska

Dec 6, 2016
  13. Joseph

Joseph n00b

I'm actually from New York when I mentioned Montana I was talking bout the paint company

Also the clear coat I mentioned doesn't fog it has a 10 minute sit time before Coats and a 25 hour sit for completed dry

Dec 6, 2016
    Allen Ku and 7Cabbages like this.
  14. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

Hey guys,

so i'm creating this thread for the purpose dama paints used for customs & other stuff related to paints for kendama. so feel free to send some question & we might get some answers from top custom creators 7& experts ;)

Dec 8, 2016
  15. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

@htimSxelA i have a question about this matter. What brand of paint do custom designers/companies usual use for painting their damas? i know some can be a trade secret but i'm just curious to know. im trying to created some customs myself & i already created on before.

Dec 8, 2016
    7Cabbages likes this.
  16. 7Cabbages

7Cabbages Slayer

Wow I really didn't know there was a difference! I personally stick to RSQ's London Skinny. They're extremely comfy and don't break the bank$. I got them at Tilly's for like ten bucks! I use them when I'm out and about jamming with some friends. Very nice material actually. I've also heard very good things about Levi's 511's and I know that JCPenney has some good deals...;) I haven't tried them though so don't take my word for it. Joggers are really comfy too although they might not count as dama pants.. I usually wear them around the house when I'm jamming hard on the dama. They don't catch onto my knees or feet, which is very important for those balance tricks.

I'd personally like to hear about what others think make some good dama pants, since I'm generally new to the game and always want to see new perspectives! :)

Dec 8, 2016
  17. Dillonjohns79

Dillonjohns79 Member

lol they said paints. not pants

Dec 8, 2016
    Allen Ku, Alek Fouts, amagad and 3 others like this.
  18. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

This is probably the best post to this forum thus far hahaha

Dec 9, 2016
  19. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Companies generally do not give out their paint formulas :rolleyes:
    Hit your local art / paint / hardware store or whatever, and start experimenting! Its way more fun to create something that is your own, than to just copy someone else, after all

Dec 9, 2016
    Alek Fouts and 7Cabbages like this.
  20. Edric Owen Ladera

Edric Owen Ladera Slayer

Not exactly their paint formulas but i get it, it's their trade secret. But generally, what brands do they usually pick as paint for their damas? how about mash or girr's paint?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Dec 13, 2016