Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Painted vs Natty :D

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Sigvard, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Preferred tama

1. Natty

28 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Paint

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Sigvard

Sigvard Member

Do you guys prefer natural or painted tamas? And Why? And from your experiences, which is your favorite natty kendama? :D

I dont have much experience with natty tamas, but I really enjoy the sound and the natural feel to it. Im always one to have a natty with me, just to make sure paint is not all thats keeping my game up. Ide have to favor a keyaki Ozora myself.

~ Greetings out of Switzerland

Oct 25, 2016
    JoJo_hudson1253 and AbvQ like this.
  2. triggerscold

triggerscold Member

im a noobsack so i want as sticky tacky as i can get~ i really like avid and cushion clear

Oct 25, 2016
    Gasiek and Sigvard like this.
  3. Sigvard

Sigvard Member

Cusion clear is the bomb! I was going to say to exclude it on this thread though. Ide definetly consider practicing with some slippery tamas, and up the challange! :)

Oct 25, 2016
    Michael Joseph Reeves likes this.
  4. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

I definitely prefer painted (cush clear is by far my favorite <3 ) but with natties, I love GT's raw ash tamas. surprisingly to me, it has just enough grip that even I can do lighthouses and lunars coming from someone who normally play cush clear/the tackiest, grippy-est tamas ever. :D

Oct 25, 2016
    xplodit and AbvQ like this.
  5. rTTn

rTTn Slayer

Lately im in love with cleared natty's. My last 3 purchases have been; the new shiguchi maple/keyaki with micro-grip, a lyon noguera pro mod with lofty clear, and a HG maple/paduak with cushion clear

I have a preference for natty's uncleared though. It means i had no help from paint of any kind to land a trick.

Oct 25, 2016
    Sigvard likes this.
  6. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

I have wavered back and forth on this subject for a good while now. Currently I am in a huge Natty phase. Ash in particular has been my go to. Atlantic's ash kendamas are hands down my favorite (no bias ;) )

Oct 25, 2016
    KeeganS likes this.
  7. Angelo Saček

Angelo Saček Honed Member

A friend of mine and I just grabbed kenco raw stripe zen kendamas. This is the first natty I bought. I like it a lot. It is really slippery currently, so I'm having some problems with lighthouses and lunars. The one my friend got had a better grip right out of the box, of course... Any advice on making it a bit more grippy?

Also, one of the best natty kendamas I tried out was the Bonzai Ash. The first clack I heard was enough to fall for it :)

Oct 27, 2016
  8. Michael Joseph Reeves

Michael Joseph Reeves Honed Member

I definitely use both. but if i want an extra challenge natty or die. and i do like to have extra challenge sometimes.

Oct 28, 2016
    dama.emmy likes this.
  9. Heero

Heero n00b

Proclear all day! Perfect tack to slip. And awesome clack. It's magical.

Oct 28, 2016
    Congarranza likes this.
  10. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I used to be all about the sticky tamas when I first started. First kendama was a red trib and it was way too slippery for me at the time, so I ordered a white aTack a month later. As I started progressing, I slowly started getting rid of all of my "stickier" paints. The only painted tamas I have now are a trib, OG JKA, Girr, stripe zen, and Terra (with the exception of a silk and a pro clear that I shan't get rid of due to sentimental value). However, I do like playing stickier clears every now and then; Sourmash is probably the favorite, musou/cush/pro clear is pretty dope, and aTack always brings me back to the first time I landed tricks like lunar and lighthouse flip. One clear I particularly remember liking was the original Sweets F3 clear before they started pro-clearing em. Picked up a red F3 when they first released and it was one of the best clears ever to me.

And although I haven't played every company's natty, GT raw ash is unbeatable. When you play a GT raw ash in Japantown from 5-9 PM on a Tuesday, it is the most honed kendama ever and throws the need for sticky tamas out the window.

Oct 30, 2016
    Jasper B. likes this.
  11. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

Natty all the way dude.

my favorite natty kendama is the kaizen craft slim maple. this kendama is beyond amazing.

I love the feel of all natural wood in your hand.

Nov 26, 2016
  12. Ronnie

Ronnie n00b

I love rubber paint

Nov 26, 2016
  13. Radson

Radson Honed Member

Natties! :) My favorites are the HNL natties! Especially the Maple and Keyaki .

Dec 22, 2016
  14. Clayk27

Clayk27 Member

It depends for what tricks I like nattys more then painted except for balance tricks my fav natty is either walnut stripe hg or ash gt tama on hg ash ken

Dec 22, 2016
  15. dama.emmy

dama.emmy n00b

I love both lol it's hard to choose just one. Silk paint is so good for lunars and all tricks in general but I love the feel of nattys when I do cup tricks or lighthouse tricks.

Dec 22, 2016
  16. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Usually natty is my go to but if I'm using a painted Dama I definitely love to use silk damas

Dec 27, 2016
  17. Claire Dama

Claire Dama Member

As of late nattys have been the jam. There is just something super satisfying about landing a clean line on one.

Dec 27, 2016
  18. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I do like my painted setups. But i've found myself leaning more towards natty kendamas lately, especially Sol and RWB. RWB's ash tama is just as raw as GT's raw ash tama and i love the sound of playing a natty ash setup!

Dec 27, 2016
  19. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

Natty life...I was all about KUSA silk for the first 5 months of me playing. However, when I bought my first kenco raw stripe I shredded it to bits, making it incredibly honed and tacky. I fell in love. Soon after I bought my next raw stripe, and the next, natties were truly my go-to. And now that I have the GT raw ash... you already know

Dec 27, 2016
  20. Aloysius_hung_

Aloysius_hung_ Honed Member

I love tacky painted kens that hav jus the right amount of slick but have recently started to move on natty like hg. They will get grippy after breakin in enough anyway. And theres still the amazing grain and probably more amazing sound.

Dec 28, 2016