Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Pen Spinners

Discussion in 'Non-Dama Drama' started by lategreat808, Dec 11, 2017.

1. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Any pen spinners out there? I am looking to get into it but didn't really know where to start.

Dec 11, 2017
  2. theligitchriswhit

theligitchriswhit Honed Member

I have little experience spinning pens and normally use a pencil in school. I did find this video however and the pen he made looks pretty ok Screenshot_20171211-183550.png

Dec 11, 2017
  3. theligitchriswhit

theligitchriswhit Honed Member

Just made the pen and it's pretty good. I've never used a real pen spinning pen but this works better than a pencil, finding the little grip was the hardest part.

Dec 11, 2017
  4. Thomas Ishikawa

Thomas Ishikawa Honed Member

I do. It was my first hobby from middle school all the way until beginning of college. I used to be pretty active on the pen spinning forum called UPSB (universal pen spinning board).
    Very similar to Downspike but I would say the audience is a lot younger but it was super active when I was into it.

If you want to buy premade mods or pen parts, go to penwish his website looks jank but he’s legit. I bought from him since 2009. For beginners buy a double sided mod. It looks dumb cause it looks like a botan but it’s center of balance is in the middle so it’s easier to learn tricks. Start of with a medium weight mod so a Comssa mod is the best. If you want something that looks like a pen go with RSVP MX. Literally the ozora/tk16 of the pen spinning community. They’re not too expensive so maybe buy one of each and see how you like them.

For YouTube tutorial visit KTrinh93. There was this guy called Eso who made the best tutorials on YouTube but he deleted his channels. Learn the basics like thumb around, Sonic, charge, Korean backaround, and pass and try to create a combo from there. Pen spinning is once again a Japanese skilltoy that blew up after the Americans/Europeans added their own twist to it so don’t be discouraged by the “pros” and go at your own pace.

Dec 11, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.
  5. Donuts

Donuts Member

I dabbled a bit in high school. Still do the thumb spin and sonic when I’m holding a pen

Dec 13, 2017
  6. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

I do this all the time in class. I don't pursue it at all, but its entertaining! haha

My fav trick is like a standard spin around the thumb, but with the pen backwards, then I flick it, so it flips and lands in the perfect position to write with.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Dec 14, 2017
  7. Pijiroe

Pijiroe n00b

Vicgotgame and his other channel vicgotSLOMO are also good resources for maybe understanding tricks by seeing them slowly, although he does mostly advanced power moves/combos

Dec 27, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.
  8. Fr3dMc

Fr3dMc Member

Funny you bring up Upsb. I heard about Kendama from that forum.

Jan 21, 2018