Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

personal Collections

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Sam Strohmyer, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

Would people be interested in making a section of your personal page a place where you can view peoples collections?

I feel like instagram is a place where you can put photos, but after a short time, those photos get outdated and hard to find. If there was a place on this website where we could catalog each of our collections and view them I feel like we could all get some fresh DS points as well as discover some new pieces we didnt know existed. (possibly include whether or not we were interested in selling certain pieces as well). We could create a tagging system as to search for a specific model and see how many people have them, fresh or seshed.

Personally I have been thinking about the idea of a collections page for a while, and the only thing keeping me from saying it would be a great idea is the amount of effort it would take from each DS user individually. Taking single photos of 20 damas can e tedious. I can't imagine how long it would take people with massive collections. As well as consistency between users, (would we all do white backgrounds? carpet? would it even matter?)

Let me know what you guys think about this Idea! and as always keep shredding.

Jan 11, 2018
  2. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Man I swear I was just thinking about how cool it would be to have a “garage” section like in racing games. Crazy!!!

Jan 11, 2018
    Andy Dama, Jedi_man and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  3. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Regarding the effort it takes to take photos of each dama, I bet most players would be thrilled to take the time to do that.

Jan 11, 2018
    Sam Strohmyer likes this.
  4. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I could see a few more people who just collect, rather than play getting into DS for this reason also!
    The more I think about it the more pops into my head, you could have a place to select your favorite '5' or so, and have those be the ones that attracts people to view the rest of your collection.

Jan 11, 2018
    xplodit likes this.
  5. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

I’m digging this idea. Hopefully a DS staff will see this thread and run with it. Everyone wants to show off and check out other people’s gear. That would add a whole new dimension to DS outside of just playing.

Jan 11, 2018
    Jedi_man likes this.
  6. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

should we tag Alex Smith in this to get his opinion? XD

Jan 11, 2018
    xplodit likes this.
  7. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Good idea! Hey @htimSxelA , @Sam Strohmyer is on to something here! Maybe a DS Dama garage in a future update, please?

Jan 11, 2018
  8. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Hmm I think that is a neat idea! To actually get it implemented will be a little expensive, the site's code is built and maintained by a professional service, so small changes are simple enough, but for something like this I doubt there is any perfect, pre-existing code that could just be plugged in and tweaked a little to make it work. So in part it would become a balance of "whats the best thing to spend the budget on", I'm sure there are already some higher-priority features on the list.

@amagad any comment? Do you know of any code snippets that could work to build something like this, or would it have to be built from scratch?
    @Cheech_Sander too, he's the one paying the bills :p

Jan 12, 2018
    xplodit, Jedi_man and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  9. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

Ahh I didn't even consider the price tag! Glad you thought it was neat tho!

Jan 12, 2018
    xplodit likes this.
  10. Jedi_man

Jedi_man Slayer

Man that's a fantastic idea. If anything I'd be hyped with even just a 'collection' photos page on the profile.

Jan 12, 2018
    xplodit and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  11. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I love this idea. It would be amazing for keeping track of our own collections (mine is 60+, and sometimes tedious to keep track of), and it would also be cool for looking at others collections, and/or looking for trades. And taking a picture of one shouldn't be too hard, but at least that's the only price to pay.

Jan 12, 2018
  12. Andy Dama

Andy Dama Honed Member

I'm glad his has been brought up. @htimSxelA Would it be better if there was a thread dedicated to this instead of a page?

Jan 13, 2018
  13. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

@Andy Dama A thread for it is doable right now, but having it linked to a profile is a little more to-the-point and fun I think. Once a thread grows in size, the middle pages may never be seen again by most people, so it would be more of a 'check out my newest collection pics' than 'check out the best damas in my collection' sorta thing. I guess you could view someone's posts on their profile, and ctrl+f to find what they've posted to a collection thread, but that many steps is tedious and not easy on mobile.

This reminds me of pedalroom.com. I don't have an account on that site, but I've been linked to it a few times. It allows users to upload pics and info of the bikes they own

Jan 13, 2018
    Andy Dama, Sam Strohmyer and Jedi_man like this.
  14. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

So this idea would kind of be like an Instagram profile, but it would just be pictures of that particular user's kendama collection, with info/backstory on each of them?
    And it would also be a section of the DS user's page?
    If so, I think that's a dope idea!

Jan 14, 2018
    Gasiek, Jasper B. and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  15. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

That was the hope! maybe be able to page through each dama individually, Shots of tama, and ken (if applicable/both are rare) Maybe be able to tie DS points in with it. We could view the communities favorite dama as a whole depending on who has the most likes in that specific section of DS. We could also all vote on each persons dama: Frame it (keep it fresh)!, Sesh it (play it)!,
    The more and more I think about it, more comes to me! I'm glad you think this would be cool! I'd love for DS to adopt this!

Jan 14, 2018
    Gasiek and Jasper B. like this.
  16. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

This would be good! I hope this progresses farther into what you dreamed of!

Jan 14, 2018
  17. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I love insta, but why not make DS even better for the Community. :)

This idea actually came from looking at the Sweets Kendamas site for Romania (https://www.sweetskendamas.ro/), and thinking, "wouldn't it be cool if there was a catalogue for every dama that's ever been manufactured!?". :eek:

After realizing that was way too much of a demanding task I figured we, as a website, could get 75% of the way there just by posting our own stuff, and get some praise from our peers for what we already have.

Jan 14, 2018
  18. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I have a few friends with some beautiful old pieces, custom stuff, old sweets marbles from like 2012-14. They were air-traffic employees, after they left that job, however they sort of dropped out of kendama. However they never sold their stuff and don't plan too.
    My dudes aren't about to join DS :( but having this tool would be a great opportunity for those kendamas to get some appreciation again. IDK just watched the raiders of the lost mugen vid and it's got me thinking about this format again.

Jan 14, 2018
  19. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

This is actually something that @Grandpa Sandz wanted from the get go. He thought the profile pages on DS should have a "my dama shelf" or something where you could put photos of each dama and have it organized for display. Ultimately, it got put on the back burner because to do it right and make it look nice would take time and money and, although it's a cool feature, getting the basics dialed first was more important.

thats not to say we won't ever do it though! I think it's a cool idea.

Jan 15, 2018
    Gasiek and Sam Strohmyer like this.
  20. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

@amagad @htimSxelA best way I can think of would be to build a photo album feature linked to your username and then organize it as thumbnails with preselected kendama categories and you fill in the title or description

Jan 15, 2018
    Gasiek and Sam Strohmyer like this.