Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Playing less helps you progress faster?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Joel Clayton, Apr 9, 2017.

?

How long do you play kendama each day

1. here and there

2. 5 minutes

3. 15 minutes

4. 30 minutes

5. 1 hour

6. 1 hour 30 minutes

7. 2 hours

8. 2 hours 30 minutes

9. 3+ hours

10. All day

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

These past couple weeks I have been very busy and have been playing kendama less and less each day.

But today I played kendama for about 30 minutes and was landing all these crazy tricks like it was nothing.

I hope i'm not the only one that feels this way. But some days I would play for 3-4 hours straight and get nowhere mabye this topic is erelevant but let me know what you think down in the comments

Apr 9, 2017
  2. BingoBongo

BingoBongo n00b

For me, if I start to get tired after about 2hrs of playing, I start making mistakes and I end up going nowhere when I'm trying to progress so I take breaks. When I start to play again, I end up being consistent at my tricks and I feel like I'm actually going somewhere until I get tired again.

Apr 9, 2017
    Joel Clayton and Ting.Kut like this.
  3. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

The first 20 minutes are a struggle for me. I can barely spike it, so I jut keep practicing my around the USA or around the garden until I get it once or twice.

I'm in a weird limbo right now where im grinding it out for me, like in order for me to have fun. Which is weird because before, I would grind out easier but more impressive string tricks and things with flips. So I'm spending a lot more time, and enjoying it a lot more, but learning new things slower.

I'm spending a lot of time on the basics, and trying to learn the basics of juggling, mastering lighthouses on a new natty, and ice tamas. I'm landing new tricks every day or two, but then I'm spending the time to get consistent.

But yeah I think that after coming back you land new tricks, but I can definetly see my slow and steady improvement from my two hours a day.

Apr 9, 2017
    Joel Clayton and James Hoang like this.
  4. amagad

amagad Slayer

I play here and there, two kids and being oncall at work hinder me from playing as much as I would like to. But I do notice not playing much, I practice a trick I want to do for 30 minutes or so, not being able to land it and I try again the next day, and suddenly miracles happen.

Apr 9, 2017
    quacktaped and Joel Clayton like this.
  5. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Too much of good stuff is bad stuff

Apr 9, 2017
    Joel Clayton and cbwalsh24 like this.
  6. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

There are definitely ups and downs, sometimes a short sesh is way better than a long sesh and vice versa. It is weird tbh, I don't know how it works. Haha. Just keep playing.

Apr 10, 2017
    YUNGFISHEYE and Lyndon Whalen like this.
  7. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

i try to get at least an hour of play time in every day, i have a set list of tricks i like to try to do in 3 tries and some around tricks just to work on my consistency

Apr 10, 2017
  8. AndrewBenincasa_CNYK

AndrewBenincasa_CNYK Member

Yea I totally agree. I have been really busy and this weekend I had a lot of time. I tried filming all weekend and couldn't get any tricks. The past weekend I had a little time and I was getting tricks I never knew I could get. It is really weird.

Apr 10, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  9. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

I voted an hour a day, but thats not an hour sesh at once! I usually grab 10 mins here 5 mins there etc. Maybe thats down to circumstances I don't know, but thats just how I like to play kendama when on my own.

The longest I have ever jammed alone is probably only 30/40mins. But when I occasionally meet up with others time tends to fly!

Apr 10, 2017
  10. Joel Clayton

keep it up with the basics! once you have those down start moving toward more advanced tricks!

I would recommend going on kendama usa's website and watching their tutorials

Apr 10, 2017
  11. Joel Clayton

I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels this way.

I would send up to 3 hours on one single trick and then quit, but the next day I would get it in less then 5 minutes

Apr 10, 2017
  12. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

I try to keep it at least 1 hour a day.

Ample rest gives the muscles time to learn and heal, plus it's more of what you put in the hours, instead of the hours you put in.

Plan wisely, have a goal in mind, achieve it, be happy, stop for the day.
    Repeat the next day.

Apr 10, 2017
    Matteo Schulz likes this.
  13. 7Cabbages

7Cabbages Slayer

Taking a break on a trick will help you land it later as opposed to playing for 3-4 hours straight just to land the trick. Your mind needs to rest and understand what it needs to do. Like @azleonhart , you should have a goal in mind that is achievable, and push to reach it.

Apr 10, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  14. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

sometimes being away from it for a while re-stokes you on it and you just enjoy it more, and that leads to faster progression. If I am traveling and dont ski for a month I usually end up skiing really well when I get back, although some of that probably has to do with my muscles being rested.

Apr 10, 2017
    Joel Clayton and 7Cabbages like this.
  15. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

It depends largely on your mental state imo. If you're just zoning out and playing, then you probably aren't going to progress quickly just by playing a lot.

If you're keeping yourself present and focused on the trick at hand, then practice will certainly improve your skills. Even if it is a multi-hour grind before you land it, you can stay focused and slowly work out how to perform the trick, one attempt at a time.

Apr 10, 2017
    Joel Clayton and Almostgets like this.
  16. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

having fun is 100% the best way to progress in kendama

Apr 10, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  17. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Agreed. How you practice is just as important as how long you practice. Intention, presence and thoughtfulness on what you're doing, even planning is more important than just duration.

Apr 11, 2017
    Joel Clayton likes this.
  18. Koisuru Stephen

Koisuru Stephen Honed Member

kendama is all about learning. as you get more "honed" on a trick, what you're really doing is just gradually learning the right timing, angle, and amount of strength to use for any number of movements for a given trick. If you think about it as learning, then its easy to see why breaks are important. When trying to actually learn something, cramming for hours is not nearly as effective as taking breaks every 15 minutes of so.

alternatively, if you work on more than one trick at a time, you can switch between them instead of taking a real break from kendama.

Apr 11, 2017
    Leo, Nick Lectura and Joel Clayton like this.
  19. Ryalkid20

Ryalkid20 Honed Member

Yeah I think so too. It was last summer and I was at lake Powell for a whole weekend and left my Dama at home and didn't play the whole weekend and when I got back I felt more honed

Apr 12, 2017
  20. Leo

Leo n00b

Yea I completely agree, some days im practicing a trick for hours and can't get anything, and then the next day I randomly attempt it once and I get extremely close to landing it.

Apr 13, 2017