Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Plus size dama comparison

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by AdrianEsteban, Feb 2, 2017.

1. AdrianEsteban

AdrianEsteban Honed Member

If anyone has all (or a good majority) of the main plus sized damas could you take a side by side picture? Mainly includes:
    KROM Slaydawg
    Sol Flow
    Craft Kaizen plus
    GT Tallboy
    Terra LBB
    Would love to see if certain damas are close enough in size to mix match kens and tamas.

Feb 2, 2017
    Neil, Jasper B. and Guy LaBorde like this.
  2. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Left to right. Terraflauge LBB, Walnut Stripe Flow, Nihon Ash Krom Slaydawg, standard Premium Red Ozora (for reference).
    When I first got my Slaydawg I tried matching the ash tama to the Sol maple Flow ken. Seemed like a pretty good match weight wise, and the size didnt affect anything at all (slaydawg tama I think is just slightly smaller than the Sol flow tama). The LBB is just a little bit too big (appropriate nomenclature haha) to match with the Flow or Slaydawg.
    I do not have a Tall Boy or Craft Plus so cannot say anything about them.

image.jpg

Feb 2, 2017
  3. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I think I saw Jake Wiens put a Slaydawg tama on his Craft +, so I'm assuming that those tama sizes must be pretty close.

Feb 2, 2017
  4. damon

damon Slayer

From what I've played with the plus, it feels slightly bigger than the Slaydawg, but I haven't played either of them enough to really know 100%, but that's just what I can remember

Feb 3, 2017
  5. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Let's just say I'm pretty jealous of the picture above. I'm really digging that LBB, looks like it would be the perfect in between from a Slaydawg and a Viking. The Viking is just a little too big for my liking but I am starting to warm up to it.

Feb 3, 2017
    KeeganS likes this.
  6. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

LBB definitely feels closer to a normal sized dama which I love. Vikings feel very much closer to jumbos (but not quite) to me. So yeah, I totally dig the LBB more than a Viking for sure.

Feb 3, 2017
    LifeDeLicious likes this.
  7. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

Terra is just killer...I have only played one on a single occasion but I pretty much fell in Love at first grip but never bought one. I haven't played a LBB but I'm fairly certain that will be my next plus size purchase.

Feb 3, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  8. Almostgets

Almostgets Slayer

Love the plus sized and mid range sized damas. Jam them a lot. Still struggle with the slaydawg size for whatever reason, but the sol flow and LBB are amazing.

Feb 3, 2017
  9. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

Mannn i've talked to @htimSxelA and @RodDama about making a KWC-friendly LBB last year.
    Rod modified his LBB to fit in the box!

Tried and loved it!

Feb 3, 2017
    sambarboo and RyanArthurWalker like this.
  10. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Craft +, Flow and Slaydawg tamas are pretty close in size, you could mix n match those and it would be playable. The slawdawg ken is kinda just monster cups on a normal height ken, whereas the Craft + is scaled up a bit in all dimensions from the kaizen 2.0.

I can get a pic of all of these, except the Tallboy (don't have one of those). Possibly tomorrow can post it up if I remember to while I'm in the shop

Feb 3, 2017
    Jasper B., sambarboo, Donuts and 5 others like this.
  11. AdrianEsteban

AdrianEsteban Honed Member

Would greatly appreciate it!

Feb 3, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  12. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

I addition to this, I would like to ask about DWI. The Tama on the ash barebones seems bigger than my Ozora Tama, and the cups on the DWI all seem slightly bigger. Height wise, the two are almost the same.
    Are DWI considered plus? Or are they somewhat the biggest kendama that isn't a plus?

P.S. I heard from a similar thread to this one that Mugen Musous are a tiny bit bigger than average as well. Are they the same as DWI?

Feb 4, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  13. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

DWI damas are reg sized, you might just have a slightly smaller ozo tama, and a slightly larger dwi tama. Normal QC allows for a small range.

Musous are indeed a little tiny bit larger than normal. It's a small difference though, I'm not sure I would even call it a mid size dama now compared to some of the other options out there.

Feb 4, 2017
    James Hoang and Guy LaBorde like this.
  14. Nick Dodenhoff

Nick Dodenhoff Member

Does someone happen to own a Viking, LBB, craft 2.0 plus, and any regular sized ken? I'd love to see a picture comparison.

Aug 3, 2017
  15. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

There is a post floating around with this. I'll track it down.

Aug 4, 2017
    sambarboo and Nick Dodenhoff like this.
  16. Sir Spike

Sir Spike Slayer

IMG_1737.JPG Here is a picture that @htimSxelA posted in a forum called LLB Love. I believe that 2.0 craft plus will be comparable to the sol.

"L to R: Boss, Krom XL, Krom Viking, LBB, Flow, Musou, Mugen

A Musou is just barely larger than normal, while a Flow is probably about 4-5% larger. LBB is about 10% larger, and viking is probably about 20-22%? I'm not sure about the XL exactly, but a boss is 150% normal size. I have a couple Krom XXLs and a couple Kusa/Krom XXXLs too, but they're a LOT bigger." - @htimSxelA

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Aug 4, 2017
  17. Nick Dodenhoff

Nick Dodenhoff Member

Thanks, this helps get some perspective since I've got a flow

Aug 4, 2017
  18. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

Bumping for effect!

So, how do these bigger-sized, "competition plus" kendamas stack up against each other? So far, the ones I know of are:
    • KROM Slaydawg
    • KUSA Craft Plus
    • Sol Flow
    • Terra LBB
    If there are any other plus sized kendamas we should know about, please comment below!

Nov 11, 2017
  19. Morgan Boucher

Morgan Boucher Honed Member

Well I have a white ash Terra LBB and Krom maple Nihon slaydawg. There basically both as awesome as it can get. The LBB is perfect for my bigger hands but doesn't feel or play any different than a regular kendama to me. But the slaydawg is got to be one of my all time favorite kendamas for just slaying. Its just ever so slightly bigger than an average kendama but not as crazy out of proportion as a pop

Nov 11, 2017
    Emil Apostol and Sir Spike like this.
  20. Cassidy Bailey

Cassidy Bailey n00b

Here’s a comparison with every size I have, including Ben and Kristian’s mods.

5045BE3A-5D55-4AD2-9AB3-B4B2366EA6D2.jpeg

Nov 11, 2017