Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Practice routines?

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Jesse, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jesse

Jesse n00b

Just curious as to how much everyone practices? daily? weekly? how much? but more specifically how?
    do you grind a new trick your working on or do you try multiple tricks or just play and see what happens?

Jan 9, 2017
  2. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Play everyday! Whether I'm grinding on a line or just tryin to get a trick down, I rarely go a day without at least touching my kendama and doing a trick. I usually just jam and see what happens, and I typically jam the same tricks so I know I have them consistent. Last time I was on the grind for a combo was about a week ago, so I've been chilling and just doing tricks I already know for a while.

For example: right now, I'm watching Stranger Things and trying to land some inward lunar backflips.

Jan 9, 2017
    JHard502710 and Guy LaBorde like this.
  3. Guy LaBorde

Guy LaBorde Honed Member

I play kendama every day! I usually try to improve my skills and learn new tricks as I go, but I sometimes have more serious/focused sessions if I'm trying something that I really want to get down. But usually, I try multiple tricks- just whatever seems cool at the time

Jan 9, 2017
  4. DSang326

DSang326 n00b

I usually throw on some music and work on some things I've been trying to land. Always start out with my basics and work to the harder tricks I've been working on. I try to practice for at least an hour a day(keeps me sane) but of course there are those days that you can't really jam

Jan 9, 2017
  5. Jun. I

Jun. I Member

Everyday! Really going for juggle spike consistently and getting General Tama control on juggles down

Jan 10, 2017
  6. karekarekeah

karekarekeah Member

I play everyday. Even if it's just a simple line, I'll try to fit some kendama into my busy schedule. I'll just play some music and jam for a bit in my room while taking a break from homework.

Jan 10, 2017
  7. kendama duke

kendama duke Honed Member

I personally think that the best way to get better at kendama is to just play and have fun, and not worrying about progressing. That will happen automatically if you are just playing.

Feb 15, 2017
  8. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

I always start with around the world and around usa and a couple jumping stick progressions. Then I'll do some lighthouse stuff and a couple lunars, then you're ready to start playing.

Feb 15, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  9. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

IMG_3498.JPG I get jacked on some coffee then just watch the time fly as I try to land anything ;)

Feb 15, 2017
    htimSxelA and Almostgets like this.
  10. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

I try to play a little bit every day (usually during lunch break) but it doesn't always happen. Been in a minor slump recently so I'm making a plan to get out of it pronto!

Feb 15, 2017
  11. azleonhart

azleonhart Moderator Staff Member

You know that little game you play with yourself?
    The one that goes "<insert simple trick>, or i'm not gonna <insert highly productive activity you should be doing>"

Happens everyday, the best so far was when i said "hit a j stick swap down, or i'm not gonna go crap."

Feb 16, 2017
  12. Alice

Alice Member

Every day!! Consistency is Key! I usually practice jugs and tama control

Feb 16, 2017
  13. Avry K

Avry K Honed Member

If not everyday then every second day, there are some days when it is just not possible to play everyday. All of my free time is spent on either jamming some tricks, filming some tricks, walking around doing some simple tricks, or flinging some begleries around.

Feb 16, 2017
  14. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

If I really want to buckle down and practice, I have a list tricks that I want to get down pat that I'll work on.
    Double juggles, spacewalks, multi j-sticks, anything I know and need to work on.
    I also have lists of a couple trick ladders from previous kendama events (NKR, TKO, etc) that I'll try and go through as fast as I can as if I were doing them in a comp.

Feb 16, 2017
  15. rhysgoespeace

rhysgoespeace Member

Recently I’ve been in a bit of a rut when it comes to learning new kendama tricks. :/
    I kinda try a new trick for a few minutes, then get bored and do the same tricks I always do, then get bored and do something else. So I was wondering what some good ways to practise are to get better at kendama.

What’s the best way to practise kendama to get consistent and still learn new tricks?

Nov 10, 2018
  16. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Nov 10, 2018
    rhysgoespeace likes this.
  17. Emil Apostol

Emil Apostol DS Legend

I just sesh whatever I'm feeling like seshing, and I eventually get better at it unconsciously.

Now, I'm doing juggles a lot, and I can see my progress from a few months of continuous practice!

Nov 11, 2018
  18. Matteo Schulz

Matteo Schulz Member

I usually have like “phases” for my Dama routines. In winter of last year, I was really into stalls. Then, in the spring, I got really into slings and taps. And right now, I’m doing stalls again. It just depends on the “phase” I’m in for practice! Part of determining what tricks I practice are what I see on the insta feed to match others and improve overall versus in just one area too ;)

Nov 14, 2018
  19. Colin Hislop

Colin Hislop Member

Good to see old posts stay relevant. I play every day, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 4 hours! Sometimes all day, depends on the circumstances. If I am at a kendama event I typically always have a kendama or a camera in my hand.

Nov 15, 2018
    goenKendama and Matteo Schulz like this.
  20. FDkendama22

FDkendama22 Member

Step 1: Turn on a camera
    Step 2: Do a bunch of stupid and crazy and awesome tricks.
    Step 3: Realize that your camera is dead nine hours later, and has been since before you started filming.
    Step 4: Rage!!!

Dec 1, 2018
    goenKendama likes this.