Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Quartering a fresh damas bevel

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Eyrvs, Jun 8, 2020.

?

Do you quarter your fresh bevel?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Eyrvs

Eyrvs n00b

Do you guys quarter a fresh bevel to get rid of the sharp edged or do you play it how it is out of the box/bag? I forget where I saw it but someone said to quarter it when it’s fresh. Others say just to do it when it starts to get beat up and rounded.

Jun 8, 2020
  2. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

I’ve never heard of quartering a fresh bevel, most people suggest the opposite and quarter the tama hole when the edges of the bevel curl too much and get in the way of spiking

Jun 8, 2020
  3. Eyrvs

Eyrvs n00b

Sorry I meant to ask if people quarter their fresh Tama hole or just play it till it’s beat up then quarter it. I have the Krom smiley neckless thing so I use that every now and then once mine gets rounded.

Jun 8, 2020
  4. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

IIRC I heard about players doing that at some competition where everyone was given fresh kendama to use for the contest. Dusty memory also vaguely remembers something about whacking the tamas on concrete to accelerate the breakin process.

Jun 8, 2020
  5. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

The early MKO contests had the finalists use a fresh Ozora on stage. They were handed the kendamas, and then given a few minutes to 'break it in'.

So picture this: a packed out Mall of America, hundreds is not thousands of people gathered around the stage, and on multiple levels of balconeys that overlook the stage. On stage is a handful of dama pros, most of whom proceeded to begin just absolutely smashing the kens and tamas together, trying to get some dents built up for a little extra grip. It was full on destruction, no nuanced skill to be seen here.

Welcome to the MKO, here is a selection of the best players on earth...and.. uh... why are they just absolutely caveman smashing these wooden toys on stage?

LOL

Jun 8, 2020
    ASporar, Ochee3, Jedi_man and 3 others like this.
  6. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Well it is based on a very very old game after all. :D

Jun 9, 2020
    htimSxelA, Ochee3 and xplodit like this.
  7. Eyrvs

Eyrvs n00b

I bet that was hilarious to see in person

Jun 9, 2020
    xplodit likes this.
  8. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

i rarely quarter my bevels, i prefer them rounded and beat because i like bird tricks.
    That being said i have taken an exacto knife to a bevel before once its been thoroughly beaten, in an attempt to widen the bevel and hole slightly

Jun 22, 2020