Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Question about side grain on my new Sweets Kendama

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Shane Finnegan, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Shane Finnegan

Shane Finnegan n00b

Hi everyone,

Relatively new to Kendama, and I love it.

I have a question about a new Kendama I purchased from Sweets. Here is a link to the Kendama on their website:

https://sweetskendamas.com/collections/homegrown/products/homegrown-next-gen-splice-v3-split-cups

There are several layers of wood on the tama. Unfortunately, the bottom layer around the tama hole is Ash side grain. From what I've researched, side grain is bad because it is very prone to chipping, whereas end grain is what you want because it is durable. Why would Sweets make this tama with side grain around the tama hole if that is undesirable? I've spent a lot of money on this Kendama and I want some advice for what I should do. Should I just deal with it, or try to exchange the tama? Is there anything good about side grain?

I've attached a photo so that you can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

Apr 20, 2018
  2. Spælling

Spælling Member

Mine is the same, just got it in the mail today. Was kinda thinking about why the grain goes like this but I suppose they know what they are doing with these HGs

Apr 20, 2018
  3. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

They had it laminated that way because that side grain breaks in more and easier for stalls/birds. But yes, that also makes it more prone to chipping

Apr 20, 2018
    Kiyoshikame likes this.
  4. Shane Finnegan

Shane Finnegan n00b

What do you mean by "laminated"?

Apr 20, 2018
  5. grahamdama

grahamdama n00b

ugh, was eyeing up the splice but now im really unsure

Apr 20, 2018
  6. Shane Finnegan

Shane Finnegan n00b

I did a bit more research. Apparently its difficult to do end grain when you're gluing different layers together, and so you almost have to do side grain. Can anyone verify this?

Apr 20, 2018
    TerraKendama likes this.
  7. KeeganS

KeeganS DS Legend

Laminated wood, the different layers of the tama are laminated/glued together.

Apr 20, 2018
    grahamdama likes this.
  8. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

Even if a kendama has side grain, it doesn't change the fact that it will eventually chip. I've seen some people play the V3 splice and have thrashed the bevel to the point where stalls just lock in perfectly. Pretty sure they did this on purpose as the regular (insert exotic wood here) stripe HGs have side grain on the maple portion of the tamas. They've been making the striped HGs for a long time now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see side grain on them if they were made using layered wood.

In short, it doesn't matter if it's side grain or not; just play it, and it will break in perfectly for stalls. They intentionally used side grain for that purpose.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Apr 20, 2018
    grahamdama likes this.
  9. Shane Finnegan

Shane Finnegan n00b

Thank you for this response. Very helpful. I'm excited to land some epic stalls.

Apr 20, 2018
    grahamdama and James Hoang like this.
  10. master_shake

master_shake n00b

IMG_20180420_174049.jpg IMG_20180420_174338.jpg Just got my Sweets Prime grain Split 2.0 in CMYK on monday and was wondering... Should the cups look like this? I sent them an email, haven't heard back yet. Might not look too bad in the pics, but in person it looks like it's just waiting to chip. Never had a Sweets that looked like this before... Or any other brand for that matter. Am I being WAY TOO picky?

Apr 20, 2018
  11. James Hoang

James Hoang Slayer

That's as normal as it gets. No kendama is perfect, and wood will never be a consistent material to work with. I've had some freshies turn up like that, but they've always played normally without any problems. Just keep playing it, and eventually it won't matter that much.

Also, no wooden kendama can escape being chipped. At some point, it will happen. Don't worry about it chipping; you can always pick up another freshie.

Apr 20, 2018
    master_shake and goenKendama like this.
  12. master_shake

master_shake n00b

Thanks for the response! I'm pretty new to kendama, so I don't know really know what to expect. On their site(Sweets)the Ken pictures look PERFECT! But I guess every company puts the perfect pic on their site. I really like the Prime, I've just been hesitant too use it too much because of the little pits. I know it's just wood and it won't last a lifetime. I'll start using it full time! I guess I am too picky! Lol

Apr 20, 2018
    Jedi_man, quacktaped and James Hoang like this.
  13. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

Good luck on your beginning kendama journey ;)

Apr 21, 2018
  14. JayOldfashionDama

JayOldfashionDama Member

Welcome to the journey of a Kendama player/addict! Having a fresh Kendama is like owning a fresh pair of white shoes. You are too afraid to wear the white shoes outside, but after getting a few scuffs, you're like: "I'm good." So my advice to you is "SCUFF AWAY!"

Apr 21, 2018
    SporkmasterDave likes this.
  15. master_shake

master_shake n00b

Thanks to everyone that replied! Sweets got back to me via email. I told them after my order comes in from KUSA(7 kendamas and 1 Ken) I'll get back to them and possibly order a Purpleheart Prime Ken to replace the one that came with my Grain split 2.0 and they said they'll send me a free sarado with my order, AND pick me out a nice ken. I've ordered two replacement kens one from KUSA and one from Yumu, so I'll see how those look when they turn up in the mail. What's the word for this? Kendama fever? I caught the yoyo bug 3 years ago, and 150 yoyos later I feel it again! How many damas is too many?!?! Lol! Now I can't stop thinking about that purpleheart prime!!!

Apr 23, 2018
  16. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

yo, 7 damas in one order? That might be the most amazing thing ever. What did you get?

Apr 23, 2018
  17. master_shake

master_shake n00b

Kaizen Ken and bag
    Kaizen aqua/purple/yellow
    Kaizen 2.0 70/30 dark blue/light blue
    Kaizen 2.0 pink/black/teal ASH!
    Sol Flow Maple/Walnut stripe
    3 TK16 1blue 1red 1 green
    $81 free shipping?????
    2 of the TKs will be to hand out to anyone that shows interest, 1 is for me. I already hand out yoyos left and right. The second Kaizen 2.0 they gave me half off. What was I supposed to do?! That might go to a worthy recipient to. Plus my wife is super on board with anything skill toy/non video game related. Starting a skill toy club next month in our small county(Lewis county,Wa). Anything without batteries is welcome! Yoyo 0a 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a, kendama, begleri, tregleri, kururin, astro Jack's, Diablo, etc! This will not be my biggest order, I can guarantee that!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Apr 23, 2018
    ttocsic likes this.
  18. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

sweet!

Apr 23, 2018
  19. JayOldfashionDama

JayOldfashionDama Member

Brah! Nice, your hair looks like a great start, haha. The reason why I budget and continue to order more Kendamas is bscause I'm trying to find that "one" the "Neo" the "Mr. Anderson" of the collection. Im still searching. But the Kaizen 2.0 is a really close one. I hope you love and enjoy the Kaizen 2.0 shape as much as I do.

May 7, 2018