Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

READ THIS: Welcome to the Sesh

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by htimSxelA, Dec 27, 2016.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Hello DownSpikers!

Recently the forum has seen good growth, and an influx of users with the release of the ios and android apps. So I'm going to lay down some ground rules, and some tips for forum etiquette. First, the short form:

1. Before making a new post, use the search function to see if a similar post already exists
    2. Before replying to a thread, read some of the previous replies, and respond to them
    3. Make an effort to use proper grammar and spelling
    4. General, 'should be obvious' rules (don't be rude, lewd, or obnoxious)
    5. (For businesses) Advertising your products is okay, BUT ONLY IF your 'advertisement' posts are a small percentage of your total posts.

If you break these rules, the mods will contact you. If you break them in a really bad/repetitive way, we'll hit you with the banhammer.

---------------------------------------------

Now, the more elaborate explanation:

1. Before making a new post, use the search function to see if a similar post already exists
    THIS IS IMPORTANT! Forums work best when threads are built upon, becoming databases of knowledge that can be read through.
    Want to know what camera to buy? Or read some reviews on a new style of paint? Chances are someone else has asked those same questions, and forum members have given detailed replies. Use the search, and you'll find all sorts of info!

2. Before replying to a thread, read some of the previous replies, and respond to them
    If you just post one-liners that give your opinion on the topic, then you're really not bringing any value to the forum. Engage with other users, help build an interactive community, something something, profit.

3. Make an effort to use proper grammar and spelling
    This isn't an absolute rule, but it makes everything easier to read. Meme'ing is allowed, bu7 1f ur p05tz l00k l1ke 7h15 411 duh T1m3, people are going to think you're dumb, and you'll probably get a warning from the mods.

4. General, 'should be obvious' rules:
    Be respectful. Keep profanity down. Don't post pr0n or other NSFW content. Don't post links to piracy, malware, etc. No spamming or repetitive trolling. No doxxing (posting personal/contact info of anyone other than yourself, unless they're a public figure and that info is otherwise very easily available. For example: its okay to post the Sweets Kendamas shop phone number. It's not okay to post Matt Sweet's cell phone number).
    The moderators reserve the right to alter or remove any posts that are perceived to be breaking these rules (ie, if you post racist comments, we will remove them).

5. (For businesses) Advertising your products is okay, BUT ONLY IF your 'advertisement' posts are a small percentage of your total posts.
    If every third post you put up is an attempt to sell your wares, thats not okay. If you are an active member that sometimes posts about your newest products at appropriate times, then you're in the clear.
    Related: if someone posts 'should I buy "X' or 'Y'?", and you reply with "You should buy (my) 'Z' instead!", that is also not okay.
    If you're looking to explicitly advertise on the site, please contact the site admins to discuss advertising opportunities.
    EDIT: If a company representative runs an actively contributing personal account as well as a business account, then the company account will be given more leeway to post about product. (14 Jan 2017)

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU BREAK THE RULES?
    If you don't follow the rules, then you may receive a message from the mods reminding you to keep in check.
    At the lowest level, this may just be a comment in-thread reminding you of the forum etiquette, or a message that your new post is similar to an already existing post, and that they have been merged together.
    If you break the rules in a particularly egregious manner, or repeatedly break the rules after being warned, then the moderators reserve the right to ban you from the forum.
    Any perceived violations will be dealt with by the moderators and site admins, and any recourse will be dealt at the discretion of the moderators and site admins.

---------------------------------------------

And of course, if I've missed anything or you have some input on these rules, please comment below. We've let this forum be 'self-governing' to some extent so far, and we certainly want it to continue being something 'by the community for the community' (to use a cringy cliché). If you see an issue, report it!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Dec 27, 2016
  2. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

6. When uploading an image, insert it into the post.
    Do this by choosing thumbnail or full image. Spare us the extra click.

THUMB.jpg

Dec 27, 2016
  3. Cheech_Sander

Also, make sure your thread belongs in the Sesh.

Is it a question about specific types of woods or stains? it probably belongs in The Lumber Yard. Do you need a trick tip on earth turn? Beginners.

Events go in SESSIONS

Dec 28, 2016
    goenKendama and Ben Lowe like this.
  4. earthgirl420

earthgirl420 Slayer

grammar*

Jan 7, 2017
    amor and Congarranza like this.
  5. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Ahh I think you're actually the second person to call me out on that lol. I remembered to change it this time though!

Jan 7, 2017
    Dass Fuchs and earthgirl420 like this.
  6. Dæmon

Dæmon Moderator Staff Member

6. If you win free stuff, don't message the Dæmon every single day asking where it is.
    I am a benevolent figure, but I am not santa claus.

In Plato's Symposium, the priestess Diotima teaches Socrates that love is not a deity, but rather a "great daemon" (202d). She goes on to explain that "everything daemonic is between divine and mortal" (202d–e), and she describes daemons as "interpreting and transporting human things to the gods and divine things to men; entreaties and sacrifices from below, and ordinances and requitals from above..." (202e). In Plato's Apology of Socrates, Socrates claimed to have a daimonion (literally, a "divine something")[15] that frequently warned him—in the form of a "voice"—against mistakes but never told him what to do.[16] The Platonic Socrates, however, never refers to the daimonion as a daimōn; it was always an impersonal "something" or "sign".[17] By this term he seems to indicate the true nature of the human soul, his newfound self-consciousness.[18] Paul Shorey sees the daimonion not as an inspiration but as "a kind of spiritual tact checking Socrates from any act opposed to his true moral and intellectual interests."[19]

Read more about me:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(classical_mythology)

Jan 18, 2017
    slothymane, Congarranza and amor like this.
  7. 7Cabbages

7Cabbages Slayer

Ever read The Divine Comedy?

Jan 21, 2017
    johndmc likes this.
  8. Cheech_Sander

Just to clarify on advertising, company accounts are allowed and encouraged.

Mar 13, 2017
  9. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

I am pretty new to downspike, and don't know how to create a new forum. Could anyone please help me? Thanks!!!

Mar 13, 2017
  10. nikki_deo

nikki_deo Slayer

First: welcome to DS! :D lol

Well, actually first as Alex mentioned:
    If there's no similar related threads yet, go to whichever category your post would fall in (for example "The Sesh" for dama related topics. "Non-Dama Drama" for non-dama topics, etc) and then near the bottom of the page, there's a "Post New Thread" button to create a new thread.

Mar 13, 2017
    Guy LaBorde and Cheech_Sander like this.
  11. Cheech_Sander

Only site administraters can create an entirely new forum.

Did you mean a new forum topic?
    Also known as a "thread"?

if so, first search to see if a thread already exists. chances are there is already a discussion on it. if not, just click the yellow button at the bottom and post a new thread

Mar 13, 2017
    Guy LaBorde and nikki_deo like this.