Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

recommend me a great all around dama

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by amagad, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

When performing moon circles, space walks, etc, the the uneven weight of tama vs. ken will cause the motions to "wobble."
    When performing a lunar, tama weight is essentially out of the question, but tama texture is helpful. Weight distribution within ken is the question. It is "easier" when the sarado is heavier or equal to the sword/spike part of ken (top heavy or balanced). You will have to pry them apart to weigh them. It's "easier" because when the ken is doing the balancing act, it will be less likely to tip back toward the bottom cup due to less mass being affected by gravity. A simple seesaw effect.
    As for lighthouses, it is "easier" when the spike/sword part of ken is heavier or equal to the sarado (bottom cup heavy or balanced). It is considered "easier" because the ken is less likely to tip over when adjusting after the landing. Of course a sticky tama helps, but is not necessary.

So a "good" all-around kendama has weight equally distributed.

Sarado + Spike = Tama

Besides weight the other factors include ken shape design (sarado length, cups' rim width, cup diameter/depth, spike length and width), tama tackiness, tama bevel size, and production quality. I hope this helped.

I have a Kaizen 2.0 Maple:
    Tama: 67.58g
    Ken: 75.20g (sarado: 37.05g & spike: 38.15g)

Mar 8, 2017
  2. amagad

amagad Slayer

ive got a collection to try now. im jamming on alex smith and dave mateo damas and a viking, once its time to move on, ill need to pick a few more from my stash that has specific qualities

20170309_141320.jpg

Mar 9, 2017
  3. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

@amagad you need a TK-16.

Every player needs a TK-16

Mar 9, 2017
  4. amagad

amagad Slayer

handled

Mar 9, 2017
  5. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

I second the opinion. A TK-16 Master was my first "real" kendama and that original one was given to our shop as their first demo kendama. It served for years before being retired.

Mar 9, 2017
  6. Kendama_Cowboy

Kendama_Cowboy Honed Member

I would say try an Ozora out as well.

Mar 11, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.