Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Reverse #DSGS! Cheech <3 Thread

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by htimSxelA, Mar 9, 2018.

1. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

I think its time for a @Cheech_Sander appreciation thread.

Without his hard work DS wouldn't be here, and despite the short amount of time it's been around, I think we've built up a pretty cool homebase for kendama knowledge. Any good online community is formed through the contributions of it's members, but it is important to remember that without the platform, none of that would exist in the first place.

So shoutout our man Cheech! For helping fund, design, and push Downspike out to the dama world. Your hard work is appreciated. As a token of my appreciation...

Last week when we were chatting on the phone you mentioned that you had been eyeballing the white ash / black walnut LBBs in the Terra online shop. I've got you covered:

Head down into your living room, and take a look at the bookshelf thing on the north wall. In the top right shelf, pull some of the books out, and you'll find one of those LBBs hiding in behind them. String it up and jam it!

;)

So lets hear from the rest of you! What do you love about DS? Or about Cheech himself?

(also, lets not forget there are other people involved in making this site awesome, I'm just propping up Cheech because he's really pushed it hard himself, and I think he deserves a little recognition!)

Mar 9, 2018
  2. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

best dama surprise I'v heard of in my life;)

Mar 9, 2018
    Congarranza and kendama_grandma like this.
  3. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Clever delivery method. I take it you also have a seasonal gig with the Easter Bunny? :D

@Cheech_Sander double thumbs up for creating this place and, on a personal note, thanks for bringing me in to help out.

Mar 9, 2018
    Cheech_Sander likes this.
  4. ttocsic

ttocsic Slayer

So personally I have two older brothers (red hot chili and Carolina reaper:p), and they are good at EVERYTHING. Especially my oldest brother. He's 20, and during high school he was just a stud, national merit scholar, best player and captain of state championship-winning soccer team, and everything else you could imagine. He just picks something up and is amazing at it. Immediately (he learned to spacewalk, j-stick and earth turn his first day playing dama). It gets kinda annoying because people are like AWWW William!!!! William is amazing and perfect and everything!!! Oh, you're william's lil brother, good for you. So it's fairly hard to be happy for him and his accomplishments, because it's like I will never be that good at anything... So anyway how this relates to Cheech, having a famous YOUNGER brother would probably be even more annoying because people are like oh you're Colin's brother? And a lot of people don't know all the work you've done for DS and dama and everything, because they're just like Oh colin colin is amazing Colin COlin COLin COLIn CoLIn coLIn. but the thing is you have a good attitude about being less known and everything, and you joke about it all the time, which is very hard to do from experience. So I respect you for that and I thank you for the work you have done for DS.

Mar 9, 2018
  5. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

HAHAHAHA oh my god that is amazing.

A little background: Alex visited me in LA a LONG time ago, maybe 6 months or so? For the first DS night at the lights. He was only in town for a night or two and crashed in my office. I had no idea he left a party favor until today.

My wife Jonna is telling me to take note: That is a well-executed surprise.

Also, @htimSxelA just proved to the world that I never clean my bookshelf.

Thanks Alex!

Mar 9, 2018
    htimSxelA, sambarboo, Gasiek and 6 others like this.
  6. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Hahaha exactly what I was thinking ;) someone could totally do the same thing to me in my room, I think I'm overdue for a cleaning..

Mar 9, 2018
    sambarboo, KeeganS, Andy Dama and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Alex I have no idea how you managed to leave behind a party favor that Cheech had been eyeing. One of the sickest surprises ever.

On the real though, thank you Cheech for making DS! I'm glad something like this was created because I was getting tired of the FKC and all of the handcheck posts. Always thought it'd be easier to just put em all into one place (and then Downspike came through with the magic of forums!).
    I'm glad that I'm able to help out on here so extra thanks for bringing me on also.
    Excited for the stuff that Downspike has in store!

Mar 9, 2018
    Jasper B. likes this.
  8. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

@Cheech_Sander is the man!! I got a chance to meet the living legend at DS! night and we chatted and hung out like we had been friends for a while. He’s a great spirited, hard working individual with a great love and passion for DS!

Thanks Cheech!

PS. @htimSxelA I checked my car just in case you left me something there. I found nothing: I am not worthy ;)

Mar 10, 2018
  9. Cheech_Sander

Cheech_Sander Administrator Staff Member

I hit the walnut tama with a touch of mineral oil. Really made the dark wood pop and now she's hydrated and ready to be destroyed.

20180310_081607.jpg

Mar 10, 2018
  10. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Man killer surprise! Like to you sent a gift from the past into the future which is where we are now, or when we are (mind blown).

Downspike is such an important part of the Kendama community. I purposefully avoid Facebook at all costs, so I’d never be as connected as I am if it weren’t for DS. Thanks Cheech!

Mar 10, 2018
  11. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

DownSpike is a great place to connect for me.
    I haven't seen a single disrespectful post and everybody helps everybody.
    Thanks to everybody involved for making DS as great as it is!

Mar 11, 2018
  12. ShovelLovell

ShovelLovell Honed Member

To be honest, I’m pretty new, but I love just about everything about DS. I’ve never in my life been a part of a community so kind and always open to helping, caring, and spreading valuable information. Everyone I’ve messaged personally has gotten back to me and are always as kind as can be. It’s refreshing to know you can ask questions and express opinions whithout toxic response. It is just overall such a positive experience, and I couldnt appreciate it more.
    Thank you @Cheech_Sander
    And everyone else that makes this possible, and make it such a great experience.

Mar 11, 2018
  13. slothymane

slothymane Slayer

You said what I wanted to say even better haha

Mar 12, 2018
    ShovelLovell likes this.
  14. htimSxelA

htimSxelA Moderator Staff Member

Glad it was still in there! I actually just cleaned all my bookshelves out yesterday, it had been a whiile since I gave them a scrub lol. I was hoping you weren't going to randomly find it one day, though that would have been kinda funny in itself.

You're welcome though, mineral oil is looking good on it! Enjoy :D

Mar 12, 2018
    Congarranza likes this.
  15. quacktaped

quacktaped Honed Member

The tama grain though

Mar 12, 2018
    Congarranza likes this.
  16. TheWickEffect

TheWickEffect Slayer

Hell yeah! nice work @htimSxelA!

@Cheech_Sander you are the man! Thank you so much for creating this space! I would not be where i am with kendama without Downspike. The support and encouragement I have gotten from this community has allowed me to push my game further than I ever thought I would. This is an awesome resource for the kendama community. You guys have also hooked me up BIG TIME with the DSGS!

THANK YOU!

Mar 12, 2018
    Congarranza and htimSxelA like this.