Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

REZ stringing method

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Ben Lowe, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

So I recently got a REZ kendama (thanks @Kristoffer Cabal!) and I didn't realize how the stringing worked until now. I honestly think it is super elegant, and I really like how it works. Is there a reason that this method with the grooves in the sarado and no drill hole in the sword is not used with wooden kendamas? Seems like it should translate over just fine. I honestly hate struggling to thread string through all the holes! So frustrating for me, but maybe its just my fat fingers. This other method seems easy enough to do, keeps the integrity of the sword better and eliminates a lot of other hassle right? What am I missing?

Mar 14, 2017
  2. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

I think Cwcs kendamas have a similar stringing method.

Mar 14, 2017
    Angelo Saček and 7Cabbages like this.
  3. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

They do and it works great but the Sarado seems to come loose a little sooner than most other kens. I have wanted to try putting a wormhole in a Sarado just to see what the difference would be.

Mar 14, 2017
    7Cabbages likes this.
  4. Stuart Barron

Stuart Barron Slayer

Yeah I imagine that having the string jammed between the sarado and sword helps a lot with keeping everything on tight. But as @Ben Lowe said the Rez and Cwcs method has an certain elegance about it.

Mar 14, 2017
  5. sambarboo

sambarboo Slayer

20170314_132442.jpg
    Mugen Musous are strung in the same fashion. I greatly prefer it.

Mar 14, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  6. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

No kidding! I didn't know that, cool.

One day I'll get myself a musou.

Mar 14, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  7. Kristoffer Cabal

Kristoffer Cabal n00b

Little back story: The early versions of REZ did have the normal string holes. Both in the sarado and ken.
    Overtime, the community gave me feedback showing the thin piece of resin keeping the string in place broke off from the sarado creating a "U" shape and the spike would snap at the area where the hole was drilled. So I borrowed the idea from Iwata sensei and ditched the holes but kept the "U" you see today.
    Given my methods of making Rez back then wasn't what it is today. My kens were much more brittle so I tried to eliminate any breaking points to extend the lifespan.

Quick tip: little double sided tape holds the sarado down really well.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Mar 14, 2017
  8. Kendama_Cowboy

Kendama_Cowboy Honed Member

I've never personally seen this stringing method. Seems very simple.

Mar 14, 2017
  9. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

Could you show a picture all taken apart or inside? i think I understand it, but not 100%.

Mar 14, 2017
  10. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Hopefully you can understand the gist of it from these pics. Please excuse the poor lighting and dirt on the ken from my hands (been playing it a lot and haven't tried to clean it yet.)
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Mar 14, 2017
  11. Andrei Ungureanu

Andrei Ungureanu Member

Nice detailed pictures, Ben. I also bought a Rez ken from Kris and i am very happy with that. i totally recommend you to pair it with a cushion clear tama or something rubber.
    PS: thank you again, Kris for your great job!

Attached Files:

Mar 14, 2017
    Kristoffer Cabal likes this.
  12. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

A bit OT but just curious, what kind of spike length are you guys getting on the resin versions?

Mar 15, 2017
  13. Kristoffer Cabal

Kristoffer Cabal n00b

Your welcome andrei!

Mar 15, 2017
    Andrei Ungureanu likes this.
  14. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

Thank you!!!
    Definitely looks interesting!!!
    I see the Kris every once in a while at jams and stuff, and the next time I talk to him I will definitely look more into it!!!

I started making handturned kendamas, and might also try this cool new STRINGING method.

(If anyone wants, you can message me on insta @KendamaJas and i will try to hook you up!)

Mar 15, 2017
  15. Ryalkid20

Ryalkid20 Honed Member

Yeah doesn't this stringing method help when the tama maybe slams too hard on the sarodo and sword it doesn't make it crack as easy

Mar 16, 2017
  16. sambarboo

sambarboo Slayer

20170319_204507.jpg
    This is ACTUALLY a response to your chatter about a natty tama on a REZ. Because of that chatter I strung this keyaki Ozora ball with a REZ. Plays like a DREAM!

Mar 19, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  17. Ben Lowe

Ben Lowe Slayer

Really? Nice that's super cool! I'm assuming it plays differently though right? More slippery?

Mar 19, 2017
  18. sambarboo

sambarboo Slayer

There is a little slip (I was using a DWI sticky AF), but the actual resin cups grip extremely well. More proof of just how fabulous Kris's product is!

Mar 19, 2017
    Ben Lowe likes this.
  19. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

I had a Rez for a brief period before trading it away, but I too was surprised at how well the cups gripped onto natty kendamas. My initial thought was that it would be super slippery, but the Rez gripped on almost the same as it did the cushion clear. I definitely wanna pick up a fresh one at some point

Mar 19, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  20. Ting.Kut

Ting.Kut Honed Member

The more That i look at this the more i kind of wish kendamas had this stringing method. It looks like it could take considerable less amount of time to string up the ken. And also @Ben Lowe thank you for posting things like this and keeping me informed with the latest things pertaining to kendama!

Mar 20, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.