Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Roots of the Natty

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by cfearon199, Nov 12, 2016.

1. cfearon199

cfearon199 n00b

Hey guys so natty kendamas have been around forever and were around before tacky painted tamas. My favorite kendamas to play are natty! So i want to find out what your guys favorite natty kendamas are.
    Rules:
    1. Favorite Natty Setup
    2. Why is it your favorite
    3. Do you prefer natty or tacky better?
    4. A natty that you believe everyone should have in their collection to jam!

-Slay On!

Nov 12, 2016
  2. Sbermea22

Sbermea22 Member

Current natty setups are keyaki ozora tama with a rojo GT ken, full GT capp with raw ash tama, and a kmz maple dubhalo.
    natty just provides the perfect grip/slip feeling.
    natty all day!!! ecxept for some mash painted damas and musou painted damas
    always always always raw ash man, provides best grip straight from the box.

Nov 12, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  3. RyanArthurWalker

RyanArthurWalker Slayer

The first Ash dama I ever played was an Atlantic and I immediately fell in love. Ash is hands down my favorite wood and I tell everyone they should add at least one to their collection.

1. Ash Atlantic
    2. I love that the Tamas are usually slightly heavier on Ash setups. The grain and feel of the wood is incredible. (also, the sound)
    3. Natty
    4. Natty Ash or Natty Cherry

Nov 13, 2016
    cfearon199 and Kenflip Kixxie like this.
  4. Jokbert

Jokbert n00b

1. I like buying a heavy hardwood tama and then destroy 4 trjoka beech kens into it. Now im using trjoka maple tama. After first ken the tama breaks in nicely and gets the perfect feel. i like sandin the bevel when the wood starts bending inward and eventually when kens start falling when adjusting lh i let the tama go and select a new one for killing soft beech kens :)
    2. good solid tama is the key :)
    3.Natty all the way. at times its the most fun to customize your own nattys :D
    4. This one has to be keyaki ozora. but just one and for the ritual purposes only since we dont wanna cut down the last zelkova :D

Nov 14, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  5. Instagrom3

Instagrom3 Honed Member

1. Keyaki Musou
    2. its a gorgeous kendama, its probably the best muse to date thats been made available to the public and its keyaki
    3. depends on the trick I'm going for, i find natty broken in tamas are best for lighthouse, while tacky tamas are best for lunars
    4. Ash LBB from Terra, if you haven't played a broken in one yet you really are missing out.

Nov 15, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  6. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

1. Kaizen craft slim
    2. it is a god for slingers and lunars, as well as stalls. it looks beautiful with wood burns on the rim of big cup and the base cup. and the craft seal is beautfiul
    3. I prefer natty!! they make you a better player and require more skill to use than a painted kendama. I love the feel of all wood.
    4. Everyone should have a craft in there collection. it will sky rocket your skill level.

Nov 25, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  7. cfearon199

cfearon199 n00b

@Sbermea22 Right on! I also love Ash, Maple and Ash are my favorite. Can't choose between which is better. But i think one of my favorite Natty jammers is my Maple HG with a Raw Ash GT Tama! Natty best grip though for sure man!
    -Slay On

Dec 9, 2016
  8. Nick Lectura

Nick Lectura Moderator Staff Member

Natty life!

1. OG Purp Stodd Mod
    2. The tama is way more broken in than the ken, so stalls are godly. Perfect balance between slings and lunars.
    3. GT raw ash is honestly both for me, so I prefer GT raw ash lol
    4. GT raw ash, GT walnut, or natty Ozora. Can't go wrong with an Ozora

Dec 10, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  9. Blake W.

Blake W. Honed Member

1. Raw ash tama, KenCo zen ken(most likely getting a birch GT-16 for Christmas to make this setup better)
    2. The zen's base and big cup aren't sanded that well, so it's basically raw on raw(perfect grip)
    3. Gotta go with that natty life
    4. any GT tama, especially raw ash, a broken in raw stripe zen from kenco, or natty TK-16 tama

Dec 11, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.
  10. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I have a pretty big natty collection and I have to say that natty kendamas are my favorite...I feel like for the most part the beat out any paint there is out there.

1) My favorite natty would have to be the Krom Red Oak kendama with the vertical maple stripe on the tama and a Sweets silk string (spinner of course)
    2) The reason this is my favorite naturals is because it has broken in to be on point...for lighthouses it is the best natty I have played yet and the downspikes you can pull off on this baby are next to none. Once it's broken in it has a very soft feel to it and with the silk string it is very smooth in your hand but still has enough grip to stick a wide variety of tricks.
    3) I definitely prefer natty over tacky because the tama and the ken tend to break in simultaneously where as for tacky Tamas I feel they break in at different rates. Natty kendamas kinda pace better throughout their lifespan. I also would like to mention that nothing beats out playing a natty kendama in the park with no shoes on, grass between your toes on a warm spring day. That is like Heaven.
    4) For this last one, this is a hard question for me I would have to say the Japenese Maple Ozora. This Kendama has such a classic feel to it and since it's made out of Japenese maple it seems to put you at one with the birthplace of kendama. I would have went with the keyaki but honestly I'm not the biggest fan. I just got one about a month ago and haven't had a lot of time to break it in so it might grow on me but I loved the Ozora Maple right from the get go.

Dec 21, 2016
    cfearon199 likes this.