Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Same wood but different

Discussion in 'The Lumber Yard' started by xplodit, Dec 19, 2017.

1. xplodit

xplodit Slayer

Maple is my favorite wood, but I’ve noticed that maple from different companies varies greatly in density and weight. My maple Slaydawgs are relatively heavy and dense, but my maple big Tetrah from kendama Israel is my lightest kendama yet. They are very similar in size, but the tetrah gets dented way more easily (less dense maybe?). My base cup is destroyed from instas, but the Slaydawgs insta all day with little damage. Anybody have some perspective on the matter?

Dec 19, 2017
  2. Congarranza

Congarranza DS Legend

Wood density. If you have two same shape Kendamas that weigh differently, the heavier one has more mass per volume. So in the same space the wood is “harder.”

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Dec 19, 2017
    xplodit likes this.
  3. Jasper B.

Jasper B. Slayer

It all is luck. Different damas come from different parts of the tree, or from a different age or spicies of tree. Also, other woods are treated. It all changes weights and durability

Dec 19, 2017
    xplodit likes this.
  4. Sam Strohmyer

Sam Strohmyer Slayer

I would consider how you hold the tama while doing instas. If the edge of the cup comes into contact with the bevel hard that can cause additional wear. if you rotate the tama and do instas mainly on the sides you might notice a change in how long your base cup seems to last. I tried it with a prime ken and it has gotten a longer life so far for sure. compared to my prime ken that I just played without thinking about it, it looks a lot healthier.

Dec 20, 2017
    Jasper B. and xplodit like this.