Downspike
Kendama Entertainment Network

A community for the balanced lifestyle.

Slipping sarado

Discussion in 'The Sesh' started by Orangeisrad, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Orangeisrad

Orangeisrad Member

You know, maybe it's just me. But with a lot of my damas the sarado slips eventually. My kenco damas are notorious for it.

I've done the paper trick, it sometimes works well, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've tried superglue and it usually breaks open fairly quickly. Is there something I'm doing wrong? It's pretty frustrating in the middle of a session having to switch damas, or attempt to fix the slip.

Help a guy out?

Apr 17, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  2. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

Is the Serado slipping up or down the ken

Apr 17, 2017
  3. Orangeisrad

Orangeisrad Member

Slipping up, as in off the ken.

Apr 17, 2017
  4. Dan Reinstein

Dan Reinstein Member

It was my understanding that the paper trick only worked to prevent it from slipping farther down. However I don't know how to stop it from slipping farther up

Apr 17, 2017
  5. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I put a link for the product I use below. You want to find nuetral color poster putty. Poster putty is acid free so it wont stain or damage your ken at all as long as its a beige color.

What I do is pull a really small peice of this putty and put it on the spike just above the string hole. Dont put it directly above the string hole but put it off to the side and just above the level of the string hole. I usually use two small peices on each side of the spike. You will want to flatten the peices out with your finger to create a beveled lip of putty. Then just push your sarado on as normal. You do not need a lot of this product and if you use too much it will shoot out the bottom of the sarado. If it does push though you can take a toothpick and pull the putty away, its super easy. The toothpick will also be handy when you want to restring your kendama and put new putty on.

http://www.target.com/p/scotch-remo...E2eMU4GGqtlH6dTr5bbqeBoCiNfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Apr 17, 2017
  6. Orangeisrad

Orangeisrad Member

when I get a chance today I'll def look into this! If anyone has any similar experiences or ideas feel free to share them!

Apr 17, 2017
  7. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I hear some people use double side tape but I found the putty never has a problem, the sarado doesnt fall off at all and it lasts a while.

Apr 17, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  8. amagad

amagad Slayer

I use double-sided tape, bought a large roll of it from Amazon. I love this approach as it provides some elasticity/rebound effect and doesn't solidify the sarrado to the ken, and it's easy to peel off and remove the sarrado since the tackiness is weak (depending on the tape strength you get) and just enough to sustain the force induced from playing dama/occasional falls. It's ultra thin double-sided tape, there's a thread around here for dama hacks, you should check it out, alot of great tips and tricks.

Interesting idea about the putty, I use quake hold for my coffee grinders, putty is super strong, its tensile strength is notable when you see how little of this stuff can hold down large objects, so bringing this application into a wooden toy I can imagine is super strong. Does the putty rebound the sarrado back to original position from a hard hit to the floor?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Apr 17, 2017
    sambarboo likes this.
  9. Brandon Jensen

Brandon Jensen Slayer

I just use single sided tape or a little bit of duck tape.

Apr 17, 2017
  10. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

I have found it does rebound well, I VERY rarely have to readjust the sarado once I use the putty. I have tried countless ways of fixing the sarado and i like this way the best. If I use a KUSA string, or any really long lasting string, the sarado wont even slip off for the life of the string. When i have to pull the sarado off I simply clean off the leftover putty with a toothpick and then restring as normal, adding new putty. Bam, dont have sarado slipping at all.

Apr 17, 2017
  11. amagad

amagad Slayer

Very neat idea, thx for sharing!

Apr 17, 2017
  12. sambarboo

sambarboo Slayer

I fold over single sided tape. Works like a charm.

Apr 17, 2017
    Aric Bukiri likes this.
  13. James Wetherell

James Wetherell Member

This happened on a Sol ash natty ken I had and I stopped playing it because the slip was slipping up the ken way too much.

Apr 17, 2017
  14. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Congarranza likes this.
  15. lategreat808

lategreat808 DS Legend

This i have not tried yet. I will have to give it a whirl.

Apr 18, 2017
    goenKendama likes this.
  16. Joel Clayton

Joel Clayton Honed Member

sometimes I use masking tape and put it on the sword around where the cups would be, then I slide the cups on and push them down and they stay there. if you want to take the cups off you still can you just have to use some force

Apr 20, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.
  17. kory_witha_k___

kory_witha_k___ Member

Washi tape is what I use. It's really thin and doesn't add too much bulk(which just tends to make things worse in the long run)

Apr 20, 2017
    lategreat808 likes this.
  18. Orangeisrad

Orangeisrad Member

Looks like tape is the most widely used, I'll be doing that when I sit down for some dama maintenance :)

Apr 20, 2017
  19. goenKendama

goenKendama Administrator Staff Member

The problem with tape is that it will often leave a sticky residue which is hard to clean off and builds up over time as you reapply new tape. At least with Post-it notes the adhesive doesn't seem to come off and the Goodybands, in the video above, don't leave a mess either.

Apr 20, 2017